Coleman Safari Rack at Costco for $75

Photog

Explorer
kai38 said:
Anyone have a picture of this rack mounted on a DBL cab Tacoma?
Right now I'm thinking of cutting down the roof rack I kept from my FJ80 Land Cruiser to use on the Tacoma.
Thanks

What kind of rails do you have on your DBL cab, to mount the basket too?

kai38

Explorer
Photog said:
What kind of rails do you have on your DBL cab, to mount the basket too?

I mounted Yakima Q-Towers & 58in cross bars to hold up the basket.
I also have one of these to put up top

thule-605-ascent.jpg

I just got the towers up yessterday & running around town with the bars sure makes a lot of wind noise. I'll need to remove them running around town because of the noise.
:shakin:

Photog

Explorer
The basket will easily attach to the bars. I don't have a DBL Cab photo.
I believe the basket comes with an air deflector that mounts on the front; but it does not prevent air from whistling under it.
I had to mount a Yakima air deflector, to eliminate the wind noise under the basket. This deflector attaches to the lower bar, and rests against the roof, in front of the basket. It worked great. I'm shure every installation will be different, concerning wind noise and driver's tolerance.

I think you can see both deflectors in this photo.
IV8E1442.jpg

Maddmatt

Explorer
On my 4runner, mounted right behind the sun roof, I found the noise tolerable with no wind guard. Certainly no more than the Thule case I run in the winter. With the sun roof closed and the radio on I don't hear it at all. YMMV.
-Matt

teejnut

Adventurer
Would I be able to mount this rack using gutter mounts instead of some sort of crossbars? This is for FJ80.

Photog

Explorer
teejnut said:
Would I be able to mount this rack using gutter mounts instead of some sort of crossbars? This is for FJ80.

It is not designed for gutter mounts, and needs the support of a pair of cross bars. You could use a pair of cross bars, that are very close to the roof. The crosss bars could be gutter mounted.

The basket is relatively narrow. The cross bars might allow for attaching a few extra items, outside the basket.

teejnut

Adventurer
Photog said:
It is not designed for gutter mounts, and needs the support of a pair of cross bars. You could use a pair of cross bars, that are very close to the roof. The crosss bars could be gutter mounted.

The basket is relatively narrow. The cross bars might allow for attaching a few extra items, outside the basket.

Thanks for the tip. I want to try to avoid crossbars since I want a low profile rack as possible.

Photog

Explorer
Does anyone have one of these Coleman baskets yet?

What do the mounts look like?

Anything like this?
IMG_0544.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Just ordered one up! Turns out the Costco.com site doesn't work with Firefox on Mac...ggrrrrrr

This is cheap enough that I'll use it on the car I'm borrowing, even if it won't work on whatever comes next, I can just sell it!

stick

Adventurer
I have a Yakima LoadWarrior basket. The Coleman basket looks very similar. The Yak rack retails for something like $350

yakima-loadwarrior.jpg

Photog

Explorer
stick said:
I have a Yakima LoadWarrior basket. The Coleman basket looks very similar. The Yak rack retails for something like $350

The Yak Basket has larger diameter main-tubes, and the welding is better. My basket probably won't last as long as a Load Worrior.

I have been able to adapt the Yakima accessories to my rack fairly easily, including the Shovel and HiLift mounts.

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Photog said:
I have been able to adapt the Yakima accessories to my rack fairly easily, including the Shovel and HiLift mounts.

What did you have to do to adapt those mounts?

I ordered the rack from Costco, and will be wanting to add some other stuff to it eventually...thanks!

Photog

Explorer
TeleScooby said:
What did you have to do to adapt those mounts?

I ordered the rack from Costco, and will be wanting to add some other stuff to it eventually...thanks!

Here is a photo of the yakima HiLift mount, attached to my basket. The Yakima basket has larger tubes, so their mounts are loose on my basket. I used vinyl tubing from the hardware store, to fill the gap. It is strong, does not budge.
Jack-mount.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3