Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

t4rFL

Adventurer
looks like a good trip. a few of us are doing a day trip up there this weekend. we will be taking Gates Ferry into the forest, which i haven't done yet.

Yuman Desert Rat

Expedition Leader
Good read, Col.
I LOVE the look of the steelies on your rig.
Hopefully we can get another Portsmouth Is. Trip put together and you all can make it!

TacomaJack09

Observer
I disagree, I think the state is pretty heavily divided. The north central (Louisville) and northern ky (Newport/cincinatti)areas are deffinately Midwest

I can agree with this as I live in Newport, Ky. But I like to claim the south as much as possible! :)

Nice build and trip reports OP! I'll be following along

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Thanks a lot for the compliments guys!

YDR, I'm definitely up for the next Portsmouth trip! Looks like y'all had a blast out there.

I'm itching to get back out on some trials. I think I have too much going on this weekend to make the Ocala run. The Gates Ferry looks killer though! I have to check that out. I didn't even know that was out there. That's what's so cool about this community...I've learned about more places and cool stuff to see from ExPo than any other source. Great community! I have a ship launch to attend in Panama City on Friday PM/Saturday AM and my wife wants to hit the beach all weekend.:sombrero:

arla

Observer
Ive been following your thread for a while now. And it will get exciting pretty soon!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Ocala National Forest in 4Runner by water??!?

So, a few of the guys in Florida Family 4x4 put together a little day trip to the Ocala National Forest. I always like meeting new like-minded folks and the guys were great! What really intrigued me was the ferry ride to get the Forest. Very old, very cool ferry service that dates back to 1845...the Ft. Gates Ferry. First used by the U.S. Army then occupied and used by the Confederacy. For many years, it was simply used to transport goods from one side of the river to the other. The actual barge and the means of pushing it have changed over the years but the route and service have stayed the same. From Crescent City, FL across the St. Johns River into the Ocala National Forest.

(1) 3rd gen T4R, (2) 4th gen T4Rs, (1) 5th gen T4R and (1) well-kitted Jeep GC.

Untitled by crr1116, on Flickr

Fellas departing...

Kid is stoked!!! (Please note the Blue Ridge Overland Gear sticker in the bottom left-hand corner...awesome company)

Our arrival... (Photo..Courtesy of R.F. Thanks Ray!)

First Quarter 2014 1216 by crr1116, on Flickr

Very cool experience. By far the smallest ferry I've boarded. Will definitely show it to more folks in the future.

I don't have any trail pics. 4X4Jeep was kind enough to map out the route and showed us a few trails that we hadn't seen before. One trail opened up into a fun little 'test your truck's ability' area. I got to test out the A-Trac...it works fantasticly.

HHIRunner

Observer
Looks like a good time. When I'm down At FSU for the next 4 years I'll have to make a trip your way sometime

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Yeah...I'd be up for that. I'll probably head over for a few games his year. Fraternity brothers are starting to give me a hard time for never going to the games.

On a lighter note, I had some time free up today from so I installed the rear lift (ome2889) on the Runner. I wanted to get it out of the way for Friday's front suspension install. Took a little longer than most but I totally expected it...my best work is done with a fork, not a wrench (I wish I could at least say pen...but I'd be lying) :)

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Really enjoyed reading your Ocala trip reports. We've been out there a bunch over the last 2-3 years in our 2wd Ranger. We recently traded it in for a 4x4 05 Tundra and can't wait to take it out there. Where in Florida are you located?

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
What part of Florida do you live in? It's a possibility that I could be relocated to Jacksonville in the next few years.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Old Man Emu 3" Lift | OME2885 fronts and OME2889 rears

Well, I bit the bullet and commited to a lift. My wife had to travel out of town for business for a few days, my mother-in-law agreed to keeps the boys for one of the nights.....so, it was decision time. If this lift was going to happen, it had to happen NOW :victory:

A buddy of mine works at a 4x4 shop here. His price was more than fair for the OME kit.

Awaiting for my loving wife to travel...

After the rear...(I did the rear and had to run the boys to school. The rake was disgustingly awesome)

Took it out for a test spin on private property...(Not an exciting pic but you get a sense of the amount of lift that was achieved)

I did not use aftermarket UCAs. I was very close to getting the Light Racing control arms but after reading about a few issues...I decided to try my hand at the OEM UCAs. The 4Runner is definitely stiffer. It seems to recover from bumps faster and is surpringly more stable at higher speeds. I kinda felt like I was having to battle my steering wheel prior to the lift but now it's much more enjoyable. The alignment came out pretty good with the OEM UCAs.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions...I'd be happy to answer them.

BTW, I'm from Jacksonville. It says it right near my number of posts, dudes :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete