Colonal's +Adventure Prescription+ | A Toyota 4Runner 5th Gen Story

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Popped into the ARB distribution center here in Jax. Was driving by and noticed the '16 Tacoma that ARB had at Sema. Beautiful truck. Complete with proto ARB bumper and Safari Snorkel. Met a few of the guys in there. They gave me a tour of the warehouse and asked any and all questions that I could throw at them. Super nice guys! Super nice and well organized warehouse, too. They threw some swag at me to thank me for my business. Thought that was impressive!

I've been really happy with all of my ARB equipment and this quick visit just made me appreciate it even more.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

mouse007

Explorer
Popped into the ARB distribution center here in Jax. Was driving by and noticed the '16 Tacoma that ARB had at Sema. Beautiful truck. Complete with proto ARB bumper and Safari Snorkel. Met a few of the guys in there. They gave me a tour of the warehouse and asked any and all questions that I could throw at them. Super nice guys! Super nice and well organized warehouse, too. They threw some swag at me to thank me for my business. Thought that was impressive!

I've been really happy with all of my ARB equipment and this quick visit just made me appreciate it even more.

View attachment 341052
View attachment 341053
View attachment 341054

HA...!!! Awesome, did you meet a cat named Eric Valdes..? HAHAHAHA...!! He's a good buddy of mine, he's one of the GSM's for the North American region. He give's me crap all the time for my ICON kit..!!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
HA...!!! Awesome, did you meet a cat named Eric Valdes..? HAHAHAHA...!! He's a good buddy of mine, he's one of the GSM's for the North American region. He give's me crap all the time for my ICON kit..!!

That's the guy bro!!! Eric's the man! He gave me the tour, gear, etc! I was drilling him on snorkel availability for the 5th gen 4R. Really nice guy! I thought it was great that he took the time to talk me.

I've been trying to get caught up on your build thread. I'm on page 19 now. At one point I thought I saw you were having issues with the ARB bumper shaking or something like that. I want a ARB bumper so bad.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Wow that's awesome. Wonder why the truck is down here?

Yeah, he said it was going to be down this way for a while. He said the Aussies were down doing the testing on the snorkel fitment and, I think he said they were researching the performance data on it. I could be completely wrong...I could've just been hearing what I wanted to hear.

arla

Observer
That's the guy bro!!! Eric's the man! He gave me the tour, gear, etc! I was drilling him on snorkel availability for the 5th gen 4R. Really nice guy! I thought it was great that he took the time to talk me.

I've been trying to get caught up on your build thread. I'm on page 19 now. At one point I thought I saw you were having issues with the ARB bumper shaking or something like that. I want a ARB bumper so bad.

Nice.

So what was his response on snorkel availability!? I'm putting money aside for both ARB bumper and snorkel.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mouse007

Explorer

Man, super humbled thank you :wings:. Yes, Eric is a superb guy, he'll always help a fellow enthusiast. I'm glad you git to meet him, will get him out on a trip with us soon..!!

So.... I'm not 100% sure if the 4runner has the same mounting/bushings for the radiator support..? With that said, I know that we are body of frame mount and that's why you see the front bumper shake on most Toyota IFS platforms. If it is, here is a good thread with lots of info ( https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/polyurethane-radiator-support-mounts-cab-also.361346/ ) this is a simple yet effective mod, its very reasonable and super easy to do on the Tacoma platform. I would do a bit of reading, the 4Runner may have this same problem...

mouse007

Explorer
Nice.

So what was his response on snorkel availability!? I'm putting money aside for both ARB bumper and snorkel.

ARB is slow, but effective.. They are in the works for both the Snorkel (Safari is the manufacture) and the ARB Bull Bar for the 2012-2016 4Runner, I would bet that right after SEMA you guys will have these goodies in most 4WD retail locations. Not a plug, but a good 4WD shop here in Florida is Autobruder they are HUGE Toyota guys, in my case they were the 1st to have the Snorkel for my Tacoma..

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Man, super humbled thank you :wings:. Yes, Eric is a superb guy, he'll always help a fellow enthusiast. I'm glad you git to meet him, will get him out on a trip with us soon..!!

So.... I'm not 100% sure if the 4runner has the same mounting/bushings for the radiator support..? With that said, I know that we are body of frame mount and that's why you see the front bumper shake on most Toyota IFS platforms. If it is, here is a good thread with lots of info ( https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/polyurethane-radiator-support-mounts-cab-also.361346/ ) this is a simple yet effective mod, its very reasonable and super easy to do on the Tacoma platform. I would do a bit of reading, the 4Runner may have this same problem...

Right on! I'll have to look into that. I've heard of the bumper moving individually from the rest of the body but I just thought it was only found during flex, etc.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Nice.

I was told that the snorkel for the 5th gen 4Runner has successfully been developed and are now being manufactured. I think Eric said that at least 50 units will likely be on US shelves within 6 months.

arla

Observer
I was told that the snorkel for the 5th gen 4Runner has successfully been developed and are now being manufactured. I think Eric said that at least 50 units will likely be on US shelves within 6 months.
That's such a good news. I've seen the prototype on 4Runner forum. It looks good and high-quality products like every other ARB stuff.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Hahaha! Fell off the face of the planet for sure. Back now! Planning to travel the Ashville area soon. Do y'all have any plans to heads down in the near future?

Nah, lot a stuff goin on. Hick Hop is coming up, some remodeling going on at the house. Hopefully be at Mt Pisgah for July 4, then to Asheville for Expo East in Oct

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Nah, lot a stuff goin on. Hick Hop is coming up, some remodeling going on at the house. Hopefully be at Mt Pisgah for July 4, then to Asheville for Expo East in Oct

Jackie, we're going through a remodel too and it's not nearly as fun as I imagined :sombrero:. Looking forward to seeing the pics from Hick Hop. Hope y'all have a blast!

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Needed more seating options for our adventures. The boys were given little expandable chairs a few years ago and they've completely fell apart. I have two Front Runner chairs and I love them. They're super comfortable but I wanted a more compact option that I could stash and access easily. I've read thread after thread and skimmed the 185 page Great Camp Chair Debate. I picked up a Helinox Tactical. It fits the bill perfectly. It's comfortable, compact and simple to assemble. It comes with a nice carry bag that's constructed out of the same heavy canvas (specific to the tactical version) as the seat portion of the chair. The chair stows perfectly in the 5th gen. Out of sight, out of mind.
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'll replace these pics with better 'in field action shots' this weekend.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
dude! i think i saw your rig in riverside tonight parked near black sheep. i was driving by and tried stopping in the middle of the road, but my wife yelled at me about an open parking spot in front of black sheep! haha... good stuff. we need to get together and get out to some trails soon.

Hahaha! That was me! We live in Ortega but most of our life is in Riverside. Completely understandable about your wife yelling at you. An open parking spot in this area is a huge deal!

You'll probably see a '14 White Trail with white steelies running around the area too. He's a good buddy of mine that lives in my neighborhood. We just about have his runner set up like mine.

I'll PM you my number.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete

Members online