Considering buying a Jeep.

TripLeader

Explorer
Yes.

The YJ is the 87-96 Wrangler made by Chrysler. It was essentially the same as the AMC CJ-7, except for a plastic dash and square headlights. It sat on a leaf spring suspension. Had the inline 6 engine. Some special models like Islander and Renegade.

The TJ was the 97-06 Wrangler. It changed suspension to coils all around. More plastic. Inline 6 engine, some 4 cylinder models. Round headlights. Special models like Sahara and Rubicon. Also had the LJ version with a longer wheelbase in 04-06.

JK started in 2007. Went to the V6, later with the better Pentastar V6. The Unlimited model had 4 doors. The JL replaced it and is the current model, along with the JT, which is the pickup.

There's more to it, but that's the quick version.

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
The YJ is the 87-96 Wrangler made by Chrysler. It was essentially the same as the AMC CJ-7, except for a plastic dash and square headlights.
Dimensionally the same but two very different Jeeps. The wrangler got a new frame, new transmission, transfer case, axles, top, fenders, hood, grill, tailgate and the tub was slightly different and galvanized. The yj was also built in Canada, which is the only universal Jeep model that was built away from Toledo and offered domestically. The only real similarities between a yj wrangler and a cj7 are that the tub is dimensionally similar, the rear leaf springs are the same and it started out with the same amc power plants of the cj7. Other then that it’s different.

TripLeader

Explorer
Dimensionally the same but two very different Jeeps. The wrangler got a new frame, new transmission, transfer case, axles, top, fenders, hood, grill, tailgate and the tub was slightly different and galvanized. The yj was also built in Canada, which is the only universal Jeep model that was built away from Toledo and offered domestically. The only real similarities between a yj wrangler and a cj7 are that the tub is dimensionally similar, the rear leaf springs are the same and it started out with the same amc power plants of the cj7. Other then that it’s different.

Good to know! I'm a TJ & LJ guy. I was trying my hardest!

The only thing I really know about YJs is that its hip to be square. ?

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Good to know! I'm a TJ & LJ guy. I was trying my hardest!

The only thing I really know about YJs is that its hip to be square. ?
Lol, it’s not that hip! I didn’t like my yj the most. I didn’t like most of my Jeeps in one way or another but the yj was a nightmare. I think it’s the Canadians getting us back for having all the freedom done here!

Wallygator

Adventurer
They are capable vehicle out of the box. (Jeeps) Subaru's lack ground clearance.
Plus Jeeps have much better aftermarket support!

Don't have a Subaru or want one but...

Stock Subaru Forester ground clearance - 8.7 inches

Stock Jeep Wrangler Sport ground clearance - 9.7 inches

Not that much better.

Then spend $1400 or so and get a 2" lift on the Subaru. Will still have thousands of dollars leftover compared to the Jeep.
https://ironman4x4america.com/lift-kits/lift-kits/ats-kits/

Zeep

Adventurer

Not that much better.

Then spend $1400 or so and get a 2" lift on the Subaru. Will still have thousands of dollars leftover compared to the Jeep.
Differences in approach, and departure angles. Also straight vs. independent suspension.
All depends on what you prefer. I'm not here to flame on Subaru vs. Jeep. Thead title say's he's considering a Jeep!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Have no idea why this popped up in my head, but I'd bet Jeep wranglers are the, or at least one of the, highest profit margin vehicles on the road. Look at the design, materials, volume of production and the price!

phsycle

Adventurer

Not that much better.

Subaru’s are great but imagine if they came with lo-range (which they used to at one time). They’d be amazingly capable.

Somecallmetimm

Adventurer
I've got 2 jeeps and a 2016 Forester. Sticking with the OP's description of needs, the Forester wins out and does it at 25mpg+. The XJ and TJ are much better when things get nasty or technical.
But then he's looking at Jeeps, not Subarus.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
..but I know them inside and out and wouldn't hesitate to drive either of them across the country …

Would it be fair to say you know them inside and out because you’ve either had to or chosen to repair or overhaul them so many times? I knew my 6.0 Powerstroke “inside and out” and undertook more than a few field repairs… not because it was reliable.

In comparison, I rarely opened the hood of my Hemi Charger, doing only oil and air filter changes, 2 sets of brakes, 2 tension struts, one set of spark plugs and an alternator (that was the day before I sold it) in over 168k miles from the day we drove it new off the lot.

I’ve spent more time under the hood of my JK, but in fairness, most of that has been modification, not repair.

I won’t hesitate to buy a 2.0 JL when the time is right. The JK only has 150k miles, so it will go a few more years before it finds a second owner to follow home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online