Creek's Xterra Build Thread

While I'm thinking of it, a question about your half-shafts. Did you use the ones from the Pathy V-6 or V-8? I'm guessing it's the V-8, but I don't want to be wrong on 1k worth of parts. :)

Creek

Adventurer
they have to be V8 Pathy shafts in order to bolt up to the Titan diff. I think the V6 Pathy shafts are basically what come with the X stock - i could be wrong on that though. In short, yes, you want the V8's

Creek

Adventurer
I ripped apart the rear today. Pics...

08a774bc.jpg

27cffa34.jpg

c31bcba2.jpg

Man, this pics looks weird - from the front
477eb249.jpg

And this is where she sits until tomorrow...
b07eb018.jpg

Dude, I know you have a good grasp on what you're doing, but please please be careful under there.

And totally cool that you're taking this project on.

I am seriously considering the same for my SE Fronty. :rally_guys:

Creek

Adventurer
if you're serious about doing this to your fronty, maybe i'll make the trip and help you out...

Creek

Adventurer
and, another update...

So, yesterday was spent getting the rear axle under the truck. I struggled most of the day with the U-bolts...damn it!!! Finally got those done with the help of Chris yesterday afternoon/evening. Today, we replaced the oil seals in the Titan diff, reshaped the bent caliper brace on the rear axle, got the Titan diff under the truck, and got the passenger side just about done up front. Here's some pics from the last 2 days...

Rear in
c41f34d6.jpg

94cb793e.jpg

bc7ef1fb.jpg

Reshaping/Persuading the rear caliper brace...what a PITA!!!
0b385e3d.jpg

After reshaping, all is well...
ed317e29.jpg

That deserved a PBR
8ed8a3ce.jpg

Rear diff cover off to reseal it
1ad43943.jpg

Chris cleaning off the old sealant
712a8bc5.jpg

Oh my...it's a Titan diff under my truck
ae7e378a.jpg

Front passenger side almost buttoned up w/ new rads
4f001a74.jpg

More to come tomorrow...

Creek

Adventurer
just sealed it with RTV for now. Maybe later on I'll do the Titan gasket. I just want to get her back on the road...

Creek

Adventurer
Another update...
I got the drivers side front done today. Then I ended the day with an oil change, TC fluid change, and I filled up the rear diff. Then I ran out of RTV. So, the front diff fill will wait til tomorrow.

Still to do:

Bleed brakes
Torque down axle shaft/diff flange bolts
Torque down axle hub nuts (or whatever they're called)
Fill front diff
Wire e-locker
Put on tires
Go out and PLAY!!!

Pics from today:
Drivers side front
c4430870.jpg

Pass side front
634e7384.jpg

Full frontal
f513f7bd.jpg

e53d5236.jpg

The rear
6d8290b9.jpg

f9c8a693.jpg

Hopefully, it'll all be done with tomorrow evening...

bigdog

Adventurer
Man that is an amazing amount of work! I am very jealous, my SE is screaming for new gears and lockers.

Creek

Adventurer
She's just about done. She's sitting on all 4 wheels now and I just went for a test drive. ABS, VDC, and SLIP lights are lit up. Also, no 4WD. One of my rear ABS sensors is no good (I rigged it pretty bad). So, I ordered a new sensor and it should be in tomorrow. Hoping that takes care of the lights and the 4WD problem. Supposedly, the ABS is linked to the TC/4WD and that's why I don't have 4WD right now. Other than that, I have to wire the e-locker. And that's it. But, she is driveable as is. WOOT!!!

Creek

Adventurer
Alright, I replaced the rear driver ABS sensor...and my christmas tree of dash lights is GONE and I have 4WD back!!! This project is DONE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven