Critical Spares List: Discovery I

Scott Brady

Founder
Want to thank all who contributed to this list. I am putting together my spares kit for Mexico, and appreciate the resource!

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Want to thank all who contributed to this list. I am putting together my spares kit for Mexico, and appreciate the resource!
It would be interesting to see your final list. Also a post trip report of spares you needed and how few of them were in your list. ;)

colvere

Observer
Great lists

Scott, Thanks for the thread please include some info on what your packing all that stuff into. I am trying to gather information for kitting my SD and how everything is stored is top on the list. I may check into adventure trailer drawer boxes or just fab my own. I would like to see your list of camping equipment as well, I have an SD rack and have been trying to putt stuff together and uttilize my rack (with out going crazy). I want to keep my disco loaded and ready to go.

Scott Brady

Founder
I purchased a bunch of spares from Rovers North. A new distributor, new coil, full 30K service kit, fuel pump, TPS. I will add this to my existing spares kit, which includes most of the standard items of belts, bearings, ujoints, oils, filters, etc.

I have always emphasized preventative and predictive maintenance, hopefully staying ahead of the repair curve. As a result, my DI has been extremely reliable, with only one field repair related issue, a fuel pump that died with only 18,000 miles on it.

I am going to do a full service on the truck tomorrow, change out the spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, full seafoam cleaning of stepper motor, intake, etc.

We are crossing nearly 80kms of dunes this weekend, we will be a long way from help and a tow will be difficult.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I purchased a bunch of spares from Rovers North. A new distributor, new coil, full 30K service kit, fuel pump, TPS. I will add this to my existing spares kit, which includes most of the standard items of belts, bearings, ujoints, oils, filters, etc.

I have always emphasized preventative and predictive maintenance, hopefully staying ahead of the repair curve. As a result, my DI has been extremely reliable, with only one field repair related issue, a fuel pump that died with only 18,000 miles on it.

I am going to do a full service on the truck tomorrow, change out the spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, full seafoam cleaning of stepper motor, intake, etc.

We are crossing nearly 80kms of dunes this weekend, we will be a long way from help and a tow will be difficult.

I had a fuel pump go out on my Disco. I replaced it, but when it went it caused a failure of the short harness at the pump as well. I would always replace these together after that. Also, I think mine failed because I ran the tank really low a couple of times. The pumps don't like that, and it's easy to do with a vehicle with as short a range as this.

David

Scott Brady

Founder
It would be interesting to see your final list. Also a post trip report of spares you needed and how few of them were in your list. ;)

Tom,

I was fortunate and the Discovery was flawless. The only thing that broke was a latch on the drawer system (plastic). I am going to upgrade to SS latches.

424394_10150755230273275_640113274_12420520_238683592_n.jpg

fishEH

Explorer
I think its easy to get carried away on ones truck. You start off with small stuf like diff gaurds, then progress to front and rear bumpers, lockers, and the next thing you know you've got a 5" lift and running 35's. Too bad you've just created a rig that is great in the rocks but a bear to drive to them. If I lived close to trails this might not be an issue so much. But since I live at least two hours from any decent off road trails my truck needs to be highway drivable. I'm satisfied that my truck will be an "expedition truck" of sorts. Meaning I will drive it to and from the trail, not trailer it. This is the kind of experience I prefer, and am almost forced to accept due to my location.

My spares list changes with each trip. It depends on how far I am traveling, the type of terrain expected, and number of trucks in my group. My spares list for Moab will be quite extensive. Yes there will be a lot of similar trucks there, but I will need to drive my rig home 22 hours.

Says the guy running front and rear bumpers, front and rear air lockers, and yes 35's!! LOL
I still drive my truck to all the trails.
This is a good thread to revisit from time to time to keep my spares up to date. ;)

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Haha ohhh how the mind can wander. I remember saying 33s were perfect and I'd never 4 link my disco.... now I'm figuring out how to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy