Critical Spares List: Discovery I

David Harris

Expedition Leader
That's very true, and a balance has to be struck.
It's interesting that the thread title is "critical spares" yet I see a good bit listed that I'd really have second thoughts about calling "critical".
For instance, even a CV joint I probably wouldn't call critical on a winch equipped vehicle, depending on where the journey is headed. How often on a typical overland trip do you actually need 4WD? My consideration would be if I broke a CV, would I be able to winch past the 4WD needed parts to get back to a place where I can get one shipped to me? I've broken down in places a long way from home before, and just used the time to explore locally until I get the part. Obviously the amount of time you have is a factor as well.
Starter and alternator I'd probably just take the parts I'd expect to fail, bearings, diodes, brushes, bendix etc.
Not saying this is right for everyone, but it's the sort of thing I think about when balancing weight vs mobility. Of course certain things are "critical" like the crank position sensor.

Yes. On a CV, you can just remove the broken parts and shafts and drive out with 2WD if your center diff is locked. Could do it in front wheel drive too if you break a rear diff, etc., since you have full-floating hubs. Might be tough, but with a winch, or especially another vehicle, it would be doable in many cases.

One thing I noted on the Camel Trophy is that they carried a flat tow bar as part of their emergency equipment. In one of the Trophy's, I can't remember which at the moment, they just flat-towed the broken vehicle until they could get it running. Of course, they must have removed the driveshafts to do this. A simple adjustable tow bar breaks down into a pretty small package, and you can get one with a pintle ring instead of ball hitch too, if desired. Another member of your group, or even someone in another rig who just happens by could tow you out.

David

burn_e

Adventurer
I was suprised, that no one considers the expected terrain to tackle. This should make a bit difference for the preparations.

Second the kind of driving: playing or long-distance-single-car-expedition.

Here (90% desert driving) I have never heard about troubles with the drive trains (except for the little rubber disc in the rear drive shaft - briddle from age and heat).

So this wouldn't be a concern, but lots of guys (includes myself) had temp issues and electrical issues. Heat and dust are the obvious reasons. But lots of this can be eliminated by preparation.

For sure I would prepare differently when I am planning to do some runs on rocks where drive train/under carriage damages are more likely than in sand.

Well and last but not least, aren't most damages rooted in an eager approach to tackle an obstackle which easily could be driven around?

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Well and last but not least, aren't most damages rooted in an eager approach to tackle an obstackle which easily could be driven around?

Yes. I'm afraid many Americans have a different view of off-roading, which involves pushing vehicles to the breaking point in order to prove what a 4x4 can do, not making journeys to explore the bush where normal cars can't go.

burn_e

Adventurer
Yes. I'm afraid many Americans have a different view of off-roading, which involves pushing vehicles to the breaking point in order to prove what a 4x4 can do, not making journeys to explore the bush where normal cars can't go.

Arrrgghhh, more power

screen1.jpg

JSQ

Adventurer

Hardly.
This is the kind of talk you hear as an excuse for not learning four-wheel-drive skills. The self-proclaimed "Overlanders" snicker at rock-crawling as Tonka Truck sand box destruction and dismiss the tech that goes along with it.

Land Rover drivetrain is very fragile and the powertrain is unreliable.
Who is more at risk: the guy on the Rubicon in the middle of trail traffic no more than 14miles from pavement or the guy on smooth easy trail 140 miles from anything in Mexico? Both of those guys should know how to change a CV.

burn_e

Adventurer
Hardly.
This is the kind of talk you hear as an excuse for not learning four-wheel-drive skills. The self-proclaimed "Overlanders" snicker at rock-crawling as Tonka Truck sand box destruction and dismiss the tech that goes along with it.

Who is more at risk: the guy on the Rubicon in the middle of trail traffic no more than 14miles from pavement or the guy on smooth easy trail 140 miles from anything in Mexico? Both of those guys should know how to change a CV.

Well I am sure both are at a certain risk. Talking about CV joints I would keep one ready for the guys on rocks. For dehydration I would bet on the guy in the plains of Mexiko.

Well I agree both should know the basics of their cars and know how to trail fix the car.

We are talking here about critical spares - not mechanical skills (lets assume they are there)

Nevertheless both will have to pack differently to be sensible prepared for the trip ahead.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader

I guess that just means the many Americans you are referring to aren't afraid to challenge themselves or to learn! What's wrong with that? If that's what someone wants to do with their time and equipment then all the power to them. Recreational off-roading is hardly unique to Americans.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I guess that just means the many Americans you are referring to aren't afraid to challenge themselves or to learn! What's wrong with that? If that's what someone wants to do with their time and equipment then all the power to them. Recreational off-roading is hardly unique to Americans.

I never said there was anything wrong with that sort of off-roading as a personal choice. If that's what you want to do it's your vehicle and your money, I have no problem with that. I'm just pointing out the difference in styles involved in this discussion. I myself have been a part of both styles over the course of the last twenty years. As far as trail repairs are concerned, the rock-crawlers are going to have to have much stronger drive trains, and even then will require more repairs, more frequently than those who are only traveling over moderately difficult terrain. That's why most of these off-roaders bring their vehicles on trailers, so they can push their vehicles to the breaking point and not have to worry about getting them home under their own power, not to mention the fact that many of these vehicles are modified to the point that they are hardly road-worthy. Just go to a Jeep Safari in Moab and watch the huge convoys of trucks and trailers converge on the area.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Hardly.

I don't know about the skills part, as each type of wheeling requires different ones to a degree.

As far as the Tonka Truck syndrome, you have to agree that many of these rigs are really nothing more than big expensive toys built to have fun in a big adult sandbox, of sorts, and not viable modes of transport in other contexts.

Yes. The stock Land Rover is too weak for this sort of use, but then again it was never meant to be a rock-crawler, either, but rather a vehicle to access the back country for work or even play. However, I wouldn't exactly say that a stock Jeep Wrangler, even Rubicon is built to withstand heavy rock-crawling either. It has to be modified to do this sort of wheeling.

Spares and the ability to repair the vehicle are equally required, but when you are far from home and civilization, they are doubly required, though you may not break as often as a rock-crawler.

fishEH

Explorer
I think its easy to get carried away on ones truck. You start off with small stuf like diff gaurds, then progress to front and rear bumpers, lockers, and the next thing you know you've got a 5" lift and running 35's. Too bad you've just created a rig that is great in the rocks but a bear to drive to them. If I lived close to trails this might not be an issue so much. But since I live at least two hours from any decent off road trails my truck needs to be highway drivable. I'm satisfied that my truck will be an "expedition truck" of sorts. Meaning I will drive it to and from the trail, not trailer it. This is the kind of experience I prefer, and am almost forced to accept due to my location.

My spares list changes with each trip. It depends on how far I am traveling, the type of terrain expected, and number of trucks in my group. My spares list for Moab will be quite extensive. Yes there will be a lot of similar trucks there, but I will need to drive my rig home 22 hours.

tinker trek

Observer
Hardly

You know I'm really tired of hearing this crap. I've owned & driven everything from Toyota's to Jeep's over the years and a lot in between....

I have a 96 Discovery that I've had for the past 3 years driven it all around Eastern Utah & most of Colorado - It's NEVER let me down. It has normal maintance on a regular baises & some older parts are worn out, But she always brings me home. And yes I do abuse it more than I should from time to time.

Sorry for the rant, it just get's old sometimes. :coffee:

David Harris

Expedition Leader
You know I'm really tired of hearing this crap. I've owned & driven everything from Toyota's to Jeep's over the years and a lot in between....

I have a 96 Discovery that I've had for the past 3 years driven it all around Eastern Utah & most of Colorado - It's NEVER let me down. It has normal maintance on a regular baises & some older parts are worn out, But she always brings me home. And yes I do abuse it more than I should from time to time.

Sorry for the rant, it just get's old sometimes. :coffee:

Amen to that! My '96 Disco has been completely reliable over the last 2 years with just normal maintenance, except for a failed fuel pump. But at 160K miles, I'll forgive it that. It runs just fine. As far as drive train strength, you could do a hell of a lot worse than a LR. In fact, to paraphrase Bill at Great Basin Rovers, people go on and on about how strong Toyota axles are, but when properly built, the LR axles are just as strong, and that's being generous. Bill knows a thing or two about axles . . . My LR is pretty much stock, but after my ownership experience of the last two years, I see no reason why a LR in good condition could not round the world without serious troubles. In fact, it has already been done in the Longitude Expedition, and these were NAS V8's as well:

http://www.drivearoundtheworld.com/longitude.html

David

JSQ

Adventurer
So let me get this straight.
You people think the weakness of the Land Rover drivetrain and the lack of reliability in the powertrain is a myth?

D

Deleted member 9101

For your bearings, grease them up real good and toss them into a vacuum food sealer bag. When you suck out the air the grease is pulled into the bearings. Then just toss the bag and all into your kit. Bearings are already packed and ready to go.

attachment.php

Epic idea!!!!!!! now I have an excuse to buy a vacuum sealer...lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy