Critical Spares List: Discovery I

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Holy smokes! This thread got long real fast! Without taking the time to read every post, I hope someone mentioned the belt tensioner. That and a fuel pump are the only things that left me stranded in my old D1 that was wheeled very hard.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
No, there needs to be a sticky linking to a number of threads these for each vehicle. THEN we need threads for all the other vehicles besides D1. ;)

Mechanical spare parts for my 1988 Land Cruiser HZ75 Troop Carrier driving 35000 km from Cape Town to London.

-Oil filter
-Fuel filter.

Done. Fits in the glove box.

The same could be said for a Land Rover. The difference here is these guys are talking about doing MUCH more difficult driving, and they like being prepared.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Why do Toyota people always lurk in the Land Rover forum and take jabs? I don't get it.

This is a great thread because of the commonality of shared parts between the RRC, Defender and D1 platforms. That was my point.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Why do Toyota people always lurk in the Land Rover forum and take jabs? I don't get it.

This is a great thread because of the commonality of shared parts between the RRC, Defender and D1 platforms. That was my point.

because we have nothing else to do...

:)

all right you are right. Postings deleted. Sorry guys.

gjackson

FRGS
Christian had a very valid point. Whenever someone asks me what vehicle I would recommend for a trans Africa or a RTW (and there are a lot surprisingly) I tell them Toyota Land Cruiser, hands down. Then, inevitably, I have to explain why I was willing to do it in a 110. :)

But this thread is about spares kits for D1s, so let's discuss the virtues of the LC elsewhere.

cheers

sinuhexavier

Explorer
It's kind of like the difference between a full Ludwig drum kit vs a Roland 808 drum machine. Sure one takes a little more work and a little more talent, but the drum machine has no soul.

SeaRubi

Explorer
I think many folks are missing the point of having full floating axles when considering axle or differential failures. It's far easier to disable an axle on a land rover and get to safety, get to town, or at least get to a spot to camp to perform repairs than it is to do all of these repairs in the field or on the trail. Even if I had the spares, I would rather get the convoy to camp and perform the full repairs there to let others have a chance to stretch their legs.

There are few situations that can't be driven out of in 2WD with the diff-lock engaged. I've seen DII's, D1's, and RRC's all limp home just fine with busted drive train parts. CV's, axle shafts, and busted differentials. In many instances these were several hour long drives back home over the highway. A certain '96 D1 I know of :elkgrin: made it home on the front axle, in diff-lock high range doing about 50mph.

For the rear axle, just remove the axle shafts and drop the rear propshaft, and plug up the holes with a shop rag to keep debris out. If you've removed the inner oil seal to fit larger axles, you want to pay attention to being off-camber and losing 90wt.

On the front - it's the same. pop the caps on the drive flanges, remove the circlip, and remove the flange. drop the front propshaft, engage the diff-lock in high range and get yourself to a spot where the repair will be more comfortable for not only you, but on the rest of the group, too.

cheers
-ike

SeaRubi

Explorer
I can fit all my spares and tools in a single 1650 peli. I have yet to find anything that stranded me in my disco ever.

I have also yet to find the land Rover situation I could not sort out on the trail.

None rover people can chuckle and take what ever they want from this thread I guess. In the end I still prefer a rover and thats why I own one(three). I really dont sweat break downs at all while out exploring and anyone that wants to dedicate a bit of time and brain power can learn to keep one running in a very reliable way.

- blown borg-warner t-case in an RRC. replaced with LT230
- blown LT230, happened to a friend. a friend I sold the LT230 to when I parted my truck :(

A blown head gasket could make for a bad day, too. you just never know!

Ohlins

Throttle cable left along the front of the dash (where the windscreen meets it)...out of the way and always there.....I've had one there this last 3 years!!!

For us 300tdi chappies....

a fuel lift pump
a water pump
spare fuel filter
wheel bearings
thermostat
serpentine belt tensioner bearing(requires a bit of prep with the exisiting tensioner,by way of removing circlip that holds bearing in...once done you only need a bearing and not the whole assembly)
serpentine belt
air con drive belt
UJ's

No doubt I'll think of more later...

:Wow1:

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
That throttle cable idea is a good one!

so is that tensioner bearing. Anybody know what part# (equivalent) that bearing is?

Also, for any other 2.8 TGV folks like myself, I'm tracking that the water pump is same as 300 tdi, but lift pump is different. Anyone know the part #'s?
As for alternator, Pendy pointed me to a replacement bosch regulator that can be replaced with a flathead. I got one of those as a spare off ebay. now alternator failures (unrecoverable) are limited to internal bearings, but dual batteries on a TDI can go a long way.

Ohlins

Hi Overlander....Yip throttle cable idea is simple,effective and takes no space at all!!

The bearing can be found here....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-30...ash=item3ef445b16d&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

and here...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Di...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item2ea657e926

Dead handy and cheaper than a full replacement arm and wheel...

I did this to remove my bearing...no problems with getting the clip off...have a wee peep here...

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3904

Lift pump for 300tdi is here....(2 nuts and 2 olives required also)....don't know whether it would be different for your engine???...can you confirm that this is so??

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DISCOVERY_1/Fuel/Fuel_Lift_Pump_-_300TDI.html

:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy