Critical Spares List: Discovery I

D

Deleted member 9101

If you don't get away with it - the plastic bag for sandwiches with zip lock works pretty good, as well

Cool, thanks. I don't really carry anything in my tundra other than belts and hoses right now.. but over the next couple of years I am going to stock up sop when I have the opportunity to take a "epic road trip" I am well prepared.

muskyman

Explorer

We are talking here about critical spares - not mechanical skills (lets assume they are there)

lets assume they are there?

come on you have to be kidding right?

most people I have met struggle when in the driveway let alone in the middle of no where.Throw in extreme heat or severe cold and most people are dead in the water.

Being proficient enough to complete a repair is not just a good idea it should be as critical as the spares themselves.

One of the key points that keeps getting missed in this thread is that repairs are not always just replacing parts. they are more often diagnosis followed by improvising a solution based on what you have. This is where the rookies all fall down.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
So let me get this straight.
You people think the weakness of the Land Rover drivetrain and the lack of reliability in the powertrain is a myth?

I'm just saying that that has not been my experience given a well maintained vehicle. And mine is also 14 years old. My RRC is 18 years old and has been similarly reliable. I won't extend this reliability to the electrics, necessarily, as there are lots of annoying electrical quirks popping up all the time. Mechanically though, I've experienced good reliability on my Rovers. Also, the multitude of engine problems with Disco 2's and newer RR's definitely worsened LR's reliability ratings. I think a lot of the problems are just with poorly maintained vehicles. Land Rovers take more maintenance, as you no doubt know, looking at your signature.

David

FourByLand

Expedition Leader

most people I have met struggle when in the driveway let alone in the middle of no where.Throw in extreme heat or severe cold and most people are dead in the water.

Being proficient enough to complete a repair is not just a good idea it should be as critical as the spares themselves.

One of the key points that keeps getting missed in this thread is that repairs are not always just replacing parts. they are more often diagnosis followed by improvising a solution based on what you have. This is where the rookies all fall down.

Very well put.

burn_e

Adventurer

well said Muskyman. Maybe I was to cheeky to assume this or just expected what I expect from myself and my trip buddies?

Well then I would say these guys are on the wrong path.

So before buying critical spare part for your car, take your car apart - by yourself! And then bring it in a shipshape condition - by yourself!

There will be blood, sweat and tears over this but at the end you will have more confidence in your vehicle, know about all weak and strong spots. And most importantly you can fix your stuff yourself if needed and don't look like a total idiot in front of your trip fellows. (who will not take you along next time because of this).

Last edited:

David Harris

Expedition Leader

That's the main problem with taking a newer Rover, like a Mark III, LR3, etc overland where repair shops fear to tread. For example, the couple who recently drove a Mark III RR 17K miles across Africa didn't have any problems to speak of, but if they had, they would have been sunk without a life preserver out there. I wouldn't want to try to fix one of those out in the middle of the Sahara.

fishEH

Explorer
So before buying critical spare part for your car, take your car apart - by yourself! And then bring it in a shipshape condition - by yourself!

There will be blood, sweat and tears over this but at the end you will have more confidence in your vehicle, know about all weak and strong spots. And most importantly you can fix your stuff yourself if needed and don't look like a total idiot in front of your trip fellows. (who will not take you along next time because of this).

That's why a parts vehicle is not only a good investment but a valuable learning tool. Before I tear my heads off I get to practice on my cadaver truck. :D

Viggen

Just here...
WD40- For when it doesnt move and its supposed to
Duct Tape- For when moves and isnt supposed to
Zip ties- For everything else

So, what am I missing?:sombrero:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
So let me get this straight.
You people think the weakness of the Land Rover drivetrain and the lack of reliability in the powertrain is a myth?
Based on my personal experience driving Land Rovers all over the eastern half of the US, using them as both way overloaded work trucks and recreational vehicles, over the past 35 years, I'd have to say yes.

burn_e

Adventurer
That's the main problem with taking a newer Rover, like a Mark III, LR3, etc overland where repair shops fear to tread. For example, the couple who recently drove a Mark III RR 17K miles across Africa didn't have any problems to speak of, but if they had, they would have been sunk without a life preserver out there. I wouldn't want to try to fix one of those out in the middle of the Sahara.

Well, I would say, that the diagnosis part would looking differently but at the end its still a car with mechanics, wires and liquids in there with are supposed to act in a certain way.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Well, I would say, that the diagnosis part would looking differently but at the end its still a car with mechanics, wires and liquids in there with are supposed to act in a certain way.

If you had a good scanner and really knew what you were doing with electronics, etc. But preparing a comprehensive spares kit for a vehicle that complex would be epic. I don't know what the limp capabilities are on their motors/drivetrain. They might be good enough that you could rely on that until you got to a place for spares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy