Critical Spares List: Discovery I

jrose609

Explorer
That throttle cable idea is a good one!

so is that tensioner bearing. Anybody know what part# (equivalent) that bearing is?

Also, for any other 2.8 TGV folks like myself, I'm tracking that the water pump is same as 300 tdi, but lift pump is different. Anyone know the part #'s?
As for alternator, Pendy pointed me to a replacement bosch regulator that can be replaced with a flathead. I got one of those as a spare off ebay. now alternator failures (unrecoverable) are limited to internal bearings, but dual batteries on a TDI can go a long way.
Can you share the part number fir the alternator? That's a great idea.

On a side note about batteries in a 300tdi. I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm trying to decide on dual batteries or a larger Odyssey for my 300tdi. I see the value in both. What do you have in your diesel rig?

Thanks

ohlins. Good list. Notice the list is shorter with a 300tdi than the v8 :)

Ohlins

ohlins. Good list. Notice the list is shorter with a 300tdi than the v8

Funny...I noticed that too when I first started reading this thread!! :sombrero:

For info,I have a standard battery in my LR...I only run an electric coolbox off of it whilst I drive....I never use my glowplugs on cold starts so I think that might have something to do with my batteries lasting a long time... (the tdi will always start first click from cold without the g/plugs)

I'm off to Morocco again in Feb 2010 and I usually take just what I've listed,though I'm sure there's just a few more items that I just can't recall right now....I'll post more later no doubt when I can remember....

:)

Last edited:

GregH

All the comments about enjoying fixing trucks on the trail is bull****. Being broke sucks. There is noting enjoying about it. You may not mind working on a broken truck and you may look back on the experience and be proud of what you have done. But being broke sucks.

Nope. Being unprepared sucks.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Can you share the part number fir the alternator? That's a great idea.

On a side note about batteries in a 300tdi. I don't want to open a can of worms, but I'm trying to decide on dual batteries or a larger Odyssey for my 300tdi. I see the value in both. What do you have in your diesel rig?

Thanks

ohlins. Good list. Notice the list is shorter with a 300tdi than the v8 :)

I'll dig it up and post it, but I don't think the 2.8 TGV uses the same alternator as the 300 tdi. I have a Bosch, is that what the 300's have?

I have dual yellow top optimas, but will probably look at going with dual Odyssey or equivalent AGM when the time comes as a replacement, given the growing concerns about Optima's quality. I will always have dual batteries though. I'm a believer in that.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
The throttle cable on the dash reminds me that a fair number of spares can be stowed in similar ways to reduce needed space. For instance, a spare coil mounted next to the installed one. Half shafts (properly protected) fastened on the axle housing or along a side member of the chassis, spare bulbs kept near the lights you'd use them in, etc.
It sucks that on the 200 and 300Tdi they went to a lift pump that can't be rebuilt.

Ohlins

Just remembered another bit of kit that stays in my truck...that old simple tubeless tyre repair kit (reem out hole and put in plug) then use mini compressor...and carry on driving...dead handy.

evilfij

Explorer
Going with the list above, I can tell you that a lot of it is unnecessary as the truck will function fine without them (in BOLD), just disconnect them or bypass them.

Minimum Critical Spares List:
MAS Airflow Sensor
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Relay
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose
Accessory Engine Belt
Crankshaft Sensor (GEMS)
Brake Switch
Throttle Position Sensor (GEMS)
Ignition Module STC1184
Ignition Coil (14CUX)

Now, what you NEED to get going are:

Ignition components

14CUX
2 silver relays (one ecu, one fuel pump--they are the same--again, could be bypassed but so much easier to swap)
Ignition module (I carry two)
Coil
Cap
Rotor
Coil wire (or suitable spare ignition lead that works)
Spare computer/ECU

GEMS
crank position sensor

Cooling
All hoses except to heater core (can be bypassed) with assorted spare clamps
Water pump and gasket

Other things to carry
Alternator
idler pully
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Wheel bearings
Serp belt or belt kit for V belt trucks
fan clutch

Beyond that, pretty much everything is not mission critical (ie, the truck will still provide forward progress, even in 2wd or even with one brake clamped off) or is beyond a field repair (ie a new t-case, motor or trans). Add tools (inc 12 points for caliper bolts) some supplies (grease, oil, ATF, water) and some misc things (fuel hose, vacuum hose, silicone gasket maker etc.) and you can fix everything that is likely to go bad on the side of the road or trail.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I was wondering about the MAF and TPS on the early trucks. Some early EFI systems couldn't function without them, so assumed that's why they were on the list. So, if they aren't really necessary, you can run them, just don't use full power as I pointed out in the D2 thread.

SeaRubi

Explorer
hehe - broken mounts suck! A friend's RRC busted the passenger side t-case mount; sheared right in half. we were at the bottom of a long scary trail in Rimrock WA (google "death wheeling").

we used a tree log to lever the drivetrain up a few inches, with a spare tire as a fulcrum. then we took two ratchet straps and cinched everything tight, and drove out :Wow1: and drove home. There was some awesome sidehill on that trail and a few climbs. Truck did fine :coffee:

Also - good call on the idler pulley. I lost the one to my water pump belt on my '91. that sucked pretty bad. the whole pulley flew out from under the truck, ne'er to be seen again!

Ohlins

Had to do a bit of fuel pipe work the other week so I now have a length of fuel pipe alongside the throttle cable on the dash!!

High Center

Adventurer
This is a great list. I printed it and put it in my copy of the RAVE (kept in the truck). By my estimation life with a Rover is an unsupported expedition so I'll never be without spares.

Cheers!
HC

fishEH

Explorer
Yep, digging this up again. I'm stripping parts off my cadaver truck.
How does everybody store the CV joints? I don't have a lot of experience working on them. Do the axles shaft separate from them or do you have to store the CV joint and axle shaft together as one unit? The probem with that is its so long I don't have a good place to keep it in the truck. It won't fit in a storage box.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
For your bearings, grease them up real good and toss them into a vacuum food sealer bag. When you suck out the air the grease is pulled into the bearings. Then just toss the bag and all into your kit. Bearings are already packed and ready to go.

attachment.php

Very cool . . .

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Going with the list above, I can tell you that a lot of it is unnecessary as the truck will function fine without them (in BOLD), just disconnect them or bypass them.

Minimum Critical Spares List:
MAS Airflow Sensor
Fuel Pump
Fuel Pump Relay
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose
Accessory Engine Belt
Crankshaft Sensor (GEMS)
Brake Switch
Throttle Position Sensor (GEMS)
Ignition Module STC1184
Ignition Coil (14CUX)

Now, what you NEED to get going are:

Ignition components

14CUX
2 silver relays (one ecu, one fuel pump--they are the same--again, could be bypassed but so much easier to swap)
Ignition module (I carry two)
Coil
Cap
Rotor
Coil wire (or suitable spare ignition lead that works)
Spare computer/ECU

GEMS
crank position sensor

Cooling
All hoses except to heater core (can be bypassed) with assorted spare clamps
Water pump and gasket

Other things to carry
Alternator
idler pully
Fuel pump
Fuel filter
Wheel bearings
Serp belt or belt kit for V belt trucks
fan clutch

Beyond that, pretty much everything is not mission critical (ie, the truck will still provide forward progress, even in 2wd or even with one brake clamped off) or is beyond a field repair (ie a new t-case, motor or trans). Add tools (inc 12 points for caliper bolts) some supplies (grease, oil, ATF, water) and some misc things (fuel hose, vacuum hose, silicone gasket maker etc.) and you can fix everything that is likely to go bad on the side of the road or trail.

Pretty good list. What about the coil pack for GEMS. Wouldn't this be critical? I'm not exactly sure how the whole thing is designed internally, but maybe the whole thing wouldn't die at once and some cylinders would still fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy