Critical Spares List: Discovery I

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I forgot to mention you want to be upwind of the batteries when welding. If you have wet cell batteries hydrogen and a weld arc don't play well together. Good habit to be in even with AGM batteries.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Jack has done a nice job on summary. I would add a bullet labeled "moving". As in keep your truck moving or tires rotating (under power or not) You have wheel bearings for instance on the list. Make sure you have more than one, plus all of the seals, grease, washers, hub nuts, silicone gasket, etc. Folks forget all of the ancillaries os the grease packing or red loctite for the flange bolt reassembly.

Graham questions on the first page why you would need bearings. We were 1.5 days into the trans VT last week and a fellow with a DI lost a bearing (presumably the inner stub seal failed). Conditions were very wet, very muddy. The bearings had just been replaced two weeks earlier in a shop. A neat trick is to keep the stub axle/caliper seal in the fridge/freezer to make it easier to seat in the field. We bunged two on install as they were not. It is hard to miss a bearing going bad due to sound and vibration. But had we let this go much longer, it would have been terminal to the stub axle which nobody carried. A set of punches including an all brass one help. Either way, had we not had the bearings and seal, he was not going to be able to continue on until he found a replacement.

_w5w7947_std.jpg

Also, toss the Rover hub nut tool and get yourself the LC hub nut socket. It is the same size but should have either a 3/4" or 1/2" drive. Much easier to take that nut off and replace it with a socket and breaker bar. Below is just one source for them.

http://cruiseroutfitters.com/lockers.html

The other suggestion is knowing what you are doing before attempting a repair in the field. Take the time to learn how to change a u-joint, bearing, CV, etc (not necessarily directed at you Scott). Makes for much less stress so you can enjoy the experience, for instance when a local sees you on the side of the access road and pulls up in his ATV mid bearing change to offer his locally produced Maple Syrup at heavily discounted prices.

_w5w7957_std.jpg

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Ooops. Though two alternators might not be a bad thing ;)

I also thought about adding "Friend with Land Cruiser" to the critical parts section too, but not many would have thought it too funny. . . Hee hee

LOL, about right... I have to say I've seen plenty of breaks but jeez all these photos from a single poster in one post of these obscure Rover breaks.. LOL, dear lord! :sombrero:

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Graham questions on the first page why you would need bearings. We were 1.5 days into the trans VT last week and a fellow with a DI lost a bearing (presumably the inner stub seal failed). Conditions were very wet, very muddy. The bearings had just been replaced two weeks earlier in a shop.
Sounds like he probably had the crappy Disco hub seals rather than the RTC3511's. You can use a drive member from a front hub or the old bearing race (or a new one if you use a brass hammer) to seat the RTC3511's without a problem.

J

jeepfreak

All the comments about enjoying fixing trucks on the trail is bull****. Being broke sucks. There is noting enjoying about it. You may not mind working on a broken truck and you may look back on the experience and be proud of what you have done. But being broke sucks.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
All the comments about enjoying fixing trucks on the trail is bull****. Being broke sucks. There is noting enjoying about it. You may not mind working on a broken truck and you may look back on the experience and be proud of what you have done. But being broke sucks.
I don't remember exactly what Jack said, but Dmarchand's post I didn't read as enjoying the experience of a broken part, but knowing what to do ahead of time so your aren't completely stressed out so rather than him telling the maple syrup guy, "Get the %&$# out of here I'm trying to sort out a broken axle!", he was relaxed enough to stop and have a chat with him.

J

jeepfreak

Don't bother.
He doesn't get it and he never will.

Oh please, Jack. There are certainly things I don't get, but being broke sucks.

Things that I don't not get would included your "Hipster Expedition".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Do you drink chai, Jack? Just wondering.

Attachments

• jsq1.jpg
    jsq1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 358
  • jsq2.jpg
    jsq2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 349
  • jsq3.jpg
    jsq3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 351

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
Having met Jack a few times, I honestly believe that he likes it when things break on the trail so he has a challenge to overcome. At the ICSV, he had some sort of fuel issue and you could see the smile on his face as he was trying to get it all sorted out.

ics5007%20140.jpg

ics5007%20132.jpg

Frankly, I am the opposite. I wish I could have a good attitude when stuff breaks, but I hate it when it actually does. I remember back when I first got my truck, on a trip my steering stabilizer mount slid on the drag link and wedged the stabilizer so that there was no steering. I was not happy at all. Fortunately, it was an extremely easy job to get going again.

Everyone has a different attitude about breaking down on the trail. In the end, the most important thing is to have your truck properly maintained so that breakages are minimized and know as much as you possibly can about the truck so that when it does break you can diagnose the problem and hopefully get going again.

By the way Scott, I am embarrassed to admit that I never even thought of having the LR manual on my iPhone. It is now.

benlittle

Adventurer
Wow, I'm thoroughly surprised this thread hasn't been edited yet. I mean, a personal attack against Jack and how he dresses. **ck'n A!!:Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy