Critical Spares List: Discovery I

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't say it's off-topic at all. If you know how to stick weld, carrying some well sealed welding rods would be a good addition. And if you've never welded using batteries it would be a good idea to practice at home. ;)

muskyman

Explorer
I wouldn't say it's off-topic at all. If you know how to stick weld, carrying some well sealed welding rods would be a good addition. And if you've never welded using batteries it would be a good idea to practice at home. ;)

6013's are a great choice :D

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
6013's are a great choice :D
Yeah. I realized I left out that part. LOL
Actually even if you don't know how to weld it wouldn't hurt to carry a few, you just might come across someone who knows how to. Or they may come across you.
Some new ones (3/32 and 1/8) wrapped in a thin layer of bubble wrap inserted in to a piece of PVC about 13" long then sealed should last for years in the bottom of your tool kit or spares box.

benlittle

Adventurer
Along the lines of spares/ prep. Anyone with a rangie without the fuel pump access... Should either change the pump out or cut the access panel.

Ask me how I know.

Spare pump or not if you can't get to the damn thing, you're f...ed.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
One thing I didn't see mentioned was Permatex Form-A-Gasket No. 2 and PVC electrical tape. The two work well to repair coolant hose leaks. I once repaied a radiator hose by smearing on the form-a-gasket then wrapping it with electrical tape. It had no leaks for the several years use until I replaced the hose. It was an 88 we used on the farm so I wasn't in any rush to replace the hose.

That is very good... I would also add a few 5 point generic relays and harnesses (small room, worth their weight for major electrical bypasses or rigging)...

Good thread. My opinion is you sort of have to get to know your vehicle first before you build your list... Scott has an excellent approach by contacting the experts and getting their opinions. :) Also Scott you have alternator twice FYI.

Andre

lwg

Many times if you buy the welding rods they come in a nice clear plastic tube, ready to go!

On the blindness, just close your eyes. Literally welding blind. Better than not attempting the fix at all.

EricG

Explorer

Would you care to explain this a little, how do you weld off the batteries?

Cody1771

Explorer
quite simple, get the engine running , hook some jumper cables up, clamp one as your ground and put a welding rod in the other... you can even buy kits that have a small wire feed mechanism.

0203_4wd_01_z+portable_mig_welders+ready_welder_kit.jpg

http://www.readywelder.com/

muskyman

Explorer
quite simple, get the engine running , hook some jumper cables up, clamp one as your ground and put a welding rod in the other... you can even buy kits that have a small wire feed mechanism.

0203_4wd_01_z+portable_mig_welders+ready_welder_kit.jpg

http://www.readywelder.com/

thats a good way to cook something. and a single battery wont really carry a nice arc.

the easiest most effective way is to pull two batteries out of the truck and connect them up in series so that the positive of one battery is connected to the negative of another and then connect the another set of jumper cables to the other two terminals of those batteries. then put the rod in the positive and clamp the neg cable to the work and you are good to go.

this method will light up and weld with a 3/36 6013 rod in multi positions so you can fix spring mounts and shock mounts and such that cant be removed from the truck as well as make real good welds in the flat position.

kjp1969

Explorer
I actually met an English guy (back in the 80's) who was travelling across America with a LR88, flat towing another LR88 behind. . . wait for it. . . for parts!!! :sombrero:

He said that he got a good deal on the both of them, and planned on splitting them up and selling them both when his walkabout was done. Until then, he pulled parts off one to fix the other.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
thats ok both of us would be blind from welding without eye protection :D
LOL I knew I left out eye protection, it was a little bet I had here about you mentioning it. ;)

Right about 2 batteries in series. 24volts is a good voltage and actually typical of a welder output.
Whether the electrode is in the pos. or neg. clamp would also depend on what you're welding, less heat to the base metal with it in the positive clamp (reverse polarity) and more with it in the negative clamp (straight polarity).

While 6013 have a "tougher" flux on them, it can still flake off with rough handling, that's why I suggested repacking them.

Last edited:

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I wonder how well that welding would work with an Odyssey battery. PC2150 has a 5000 amp short circuit rating.

lwg

Shouldn't matter, it's the voltage that's going to matter. We definitely found that two batts works best.

Regarding the Ready-Welder, their pretty cool. And back in my rock crawling days they were handy as we tended to break in magnificant style, but for overlanding it seems excessive unless your in a large group in a really remote area. Two batts, jumper cables and welding rod are your friend, might as well get some goggles to go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy