Croc Hunter '92 MJ

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thanks JWP58 I might still do a flatbed on mine down the road, I have a TIG welder in my shop now. The bed I put on my '92 is just in such great shape it would be shame to pull it.
Yeah I have a build thread on comancheclub too, figured these were my 2 favorite forums.

As far as the '86 and the diesel swap, I got an AX-15 last weekend from a '98 TJ with 120k miles and the t-case from that same jeep. The guy told me it was pulled from an '01 TJ so I went to get it and it wasn't the NV3550 I hoped for but it'll work. I am picking up an OM617 from a 83' 300sd with 140k miles on it this saturday.(thanks for the heads up 88XJ) The MJ already has 4.10 gears in it and I have an 8.8 with 4.10s that I didn't use on my '92. Pretty much after I pick up that engine I won't have any reason not to get off my butt and do the swap. The OM617 is already pulled but the owner still has the car, any suggestions on what else I should pull?

88Xj

Banned
Thanks JWP58 I might still do a flatbed on mine down the road, I have a TIG welder in my shop now. The bed I put on my '92 is just in such great shape it would be shame to pull it.
Yeah I have a build thread on comancheclub too, figured these were my 2 favorite forums.

As far as the '86 and the diesel swap, I got an AX-15 last weekend from a '98 TJ with 120k miles and the t-case from that same jeep. The guy told me it was pulled from an '01 TJ so I went to get it and it wasn't the NV3550 I hoped for but it'll work. I am picking up an OM617 from a 83' 300sd with 140k miles on it this saturday.(thanks for the heads up 88XJ) The MJ already has 4.10 gears in it and I have an 8.8 with 4.10s that I didn't use on my '92. Pretty much after I pick up that engine I won't have any reason not to get off my butt and do the swap. The OM617 is already pulled but the owner still has the car, any suggestions on what else I should pull?

Crap..look up OM617 swap. Theres a place that sells an adapter! Email them & ask them for direction..they will give you everything you need in a list.
I wanna say it was something for the glow plugs..But I'll find out everything in a day or so. When are you going for the motor? Also make sure you get the oil cooler!!!!
You can use a aftermarket one if you need for certain space or whatever but just incase grab it!

Just word of advice these things get their best mileage around 2400rpm or so..gearing/tire wise you will want it up there!!! Most, pending intake & turbo run out of steam around 4500rpm..very similar rpm range to our 4.0's so thats a plus with our RPM gauge..same rpm range. I would do the few things to help bring the power/torque lower in the rpm..that will help cruise & mileage & overall drivability! I'd say a 5 speed, 4.10's and 31's would be great! Actually with a 5speed, 31's & 4.10's you'd be around 2300rpm at 65mph give or take!
Just to be clear theres a turbo & non turbo om617! You want the turbo! No retrofitting crap, and the n/a is way down on power for our jeeps lol. the turbo version is just on par!
Gonna need at least 3" of lift & mad bump stop detail! Also you may even notch the oil pan..I'll get pics of the few people who have! Issue is not much flex cause the pan & diff wanna eat each other alive! So bump stops are criticle! Or lift is slightly more..4.5 & 31's wouldn't look to bad as long as it were untrimmed! You would need 31's in order to keep the highway rpm in a decent range! Anything more & you won't have enough rpm to cruise in 5th, unless you doing 80mph or better.

For a little more spunk, try to find the W112 n/a long runner intake! Longest runner intake for the om617..brings peak torque down a bit..usually 150 usd when purchased or hit up a local yard. Also block off or get a Non egr exhaust manifold (w112 intake is non egr)! And if funds allow try to do a good 2.5" downpipe..shoot or even 3" if you wanted...less restriction the better. The less restriction = sooner turbo spool = more power sooner! Also these motors had 2..maybe 3 different turbos. I'm remembering 2 for sure & 1 was garbage..but you can pick up the turbos super cheap, so no big deal!..and if you can't I can for you & work out shipping!
Milding porting to the head & everything is a huge plus for these old dated motors! Porting intake & exhaust manifolds help as well! And last but not least to keep intake & EGR temps down, a water-air..or my personal choice a air-air intercooler!

I'm hunting for those links for you buddy! This was my dream swap until Commifornia ruined it so I've researched every single detail of the motor, oil pan clearence, more performance, bio fuels ECT ECT ECT. You ask it, I'll answer it when it comes to the OM617.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thanks a lot 88XJ, I'm planning on getting the adapter kit from mercedesdiesel4x4.com they have some great info on that site. The OM617 I'm getting is the turbo edition, and it still does have the oil cooler on it. I saw the oil pan clearance kit they got, I might get it and tig weld it to the stock pan. My plan for the tires was a 31 or 32, I like the Jk Rubi tires bc I already have a few sets, and 4.10s. I've been reading a lot about this OM617 and it all seems pretty easy to do. Just time consuming for all the custom brackets and mounts. One thing that is sort of confusing to me is the ALDA. Thanks for all your help. Once I get the motor I can take a pic of the turbo and maybe you call tell me if it is the good kind. I p also plan on doing a 3" custom exhaust here at our shop. But i don't wanna mess too much with the motor other than exhaust and porting the head and intake manifold. Don't wanna mess with the reliability you know.

88Xj

Banned
Oh yes 100% understandable! With 32's you would still be alright, but that would be the BIGGEST I would go though..you will understand the first time you drive it at highway speeds lol. Cruising at to low of a rpm will kill the mileage & it will be gutless.

Merc4x4..thats them. Shoot em a email and ask what all you would need from your donor car. I believe it was something with the glow plugs though..needed a switch & wiring. Maybe more just can't remember it all at this point with a little research in my bookmarks. The oil pan clearence kit is a greatly recommended..you will need it! Or just figure up something yourself...if you can weld & are comfortable with welding then you can do something like this..
http://www.superturbodiesel.com/std/thread-1962.html
He modified the oil pick up to point to the back of the pan & notched the front of it for clearence!

Use your stock 4.0 starter! You will need 1 for a 5speed. Idk if it matters by the years but I've got one for a 91 5speed thats brand new if your in need! You will need a 4.0 flywheel ect..Skip the autozone clutch. Look for a Luk gold if possible. I've run the autozone, the normal LUK replacement, a centerforce stage 2 & the LUK Gold. So far the LUK gold holds better than the rest. The autozone would slip like mad when wheeling..couldn't take the heat. The Luk will slip or smoke but still hold just fine!

Reliability sake...get the W115 long runner intake..its cheap at a yard or about 150 offline. I would do a full 3" downpipe back if you've got the room, if not a 2.5" downpipe minimum..with just those minor mods, you can turn up the injection pump a turn or 2..and then it'll be pretty maxed out! The motor will be reliable without issue..but the injection pump won't allow for more fuel! That should put you in the 200ftlbs range & it would scoot just fine! And be reliable no issues & have the power lower in the rpm range!
Also to add most tend to agree..and actually some have done some form of testing but not much. Anyway most say that the IP's tend to run leaner & leaner with age, so cranking the IP up won't be an issue..if you see it pouring black smoke then you have too much fuel. Good thing is the IP's are only good for about 200-200ftlbs max. And you will move more than enough air for that, so it won't be an issue.

The ALDA..you can adjust or remove it! Its an emission type deal! It backs off the fuel in low boost situations to prevent the popular "rollin' coal".. There is only 2 turns of adjustment though..anymore and it'll break! Basically if it starts to get tight..don't go further. I would adjust it full rich, to keep it from pulling so much fuel or remove it and get an EGT gauge. So remove it & get and egt gauge & watch it, or adjust to full rich and leave it be. You will not have an issue either way..just know you need a EGT when you remove it!
When taking off you want just a wee bit of black smoke out of the exhaust..not a huge cloud, but a little. Anything more and your wasting fuel..although it is cool to see:drool:
Most tend to agree on a 5speed optioned car its pointless. On the autos however some say it helps to keep the car from jerking off idle by keeping it..others say deleting helps. Either way, on a 5speed most tend to agree if you can watch a EGT gauge you will not have an issue! Plus you gain a little performance by having the fuel when you need it vs having something cut fuel. I would start out by keeping it..and leaving it as is just as you bought it. Do the very few mods to help move air, then adjust it from there. If it becomes a problem then remove it. Simple as pie.

So to give you the run down incase your confused..

Try & replace all the bearings while motor is out of truck!!! Clean it up & paint if you want.
Keep alda & adjust as you see fit..if it becomes an issue - scrap pile:ylsmoke:
W115 n/a long runner intake. (google threads on porting intake manifold..pretty big gains for 3 minutes of work)
non EGR exhaust manifold, or block it off
Pull & test you injectors!!! Very simple..pop test & clean.

Port both exhaust & intake manifolds. Try and ceramic coat the exhaust manifold & downpipe..even the intake if you've got the coin but the other 2 shouldn't be too much at all.Jethot is fairly cheap! Also you can wrap it and the down pipe..you want to keep as much heat in the exhaust as possible to keep it moving faster..faster = quicker spool!
If your pulling the head, then port it! I would pull it & throw on a new head gasket & port the head..kinda a do it once & knock it out type deals!
Look into a VNT turbo, GT2056V or GT2256V are perfect in low rpm power needs, but still offer the same or slightly more up top but much more down low..if your turbos done or you have the crappier version then just get a VNT..either will suit your needs. The 2256 being slightly better choice. The better stock turbo is a air research which is a garret..but there is another one..can't remember the name!

Get the oil cooler!!!! And possibly look into remote oil filters.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Your 86 MJ was two wheel drive right? You could probably find a Dana 44 front axle in a junk yard that would have the same bolt pattern and width as the 8.8, that would simplify things a lot.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
The '86 is 4wd already with 4.10s I'd just replace the dana 35 rear with my 8.8. The only front dana 44 that would have the same bolt pattern as the 8.8 and pretty close width would be a TJ Rubicon 44 and those are hard to find, pricy, and I prefer the dana 30 high pinion myself.

88XJ thanks man that's a ton of good info, I know about the jeep side of things, flywheel, 4.0 starter etc. But the Mercedes stuff is really helpful. I'm sure I'll be asking you lots of questions come next week.

88Xj

Banned
A rubi 44 wouldn't be an upgrade either. You would get a LP instead of your HP..you would get slightly bigger bearings & the same shafts. Worth it? Negatory!

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments on the truck gents.
I have got my hands on a OM617 as of last night, the one with 140k got sold under my feet before I could go pick it up, so I searched again and found one in Portland with 106k miles from a 1978 300SD. The guy had already pulled it and had pulled most the accessories off, so I'm kindda lost on where everything goes. I got the glow plug relay and harness, the diagnostic port, and the alternator harness from the car before leaving.

here's what i got
DSC_1067.jpg

Zero sludge
DSC_1069.jpg

And a nasty pile of hardware
DSC_1068.jpg

88Xj

Banned
lol Check that chain for any slope or slack! What turbos on that sucker? Kinda hard to see but it appears to be a non egr setup:) PLUS!

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Chain is tight, and it is non-egr being a '78. Adjusted the valves last night. The turbo is a Garrett, made in France, and it has PA 237 stamped on it. Is that the good one?

DSC_1072.jpg

From reading different threads online I'm guessing to attach these? pressure line from the intake manifold to the ALDA
DSC_1073.jpg

don't know what this thing is
DSC_1074.jpg

88Xj

Banned
Join on superturbodiesel..I believe I linked a thread there already. I'll do some digging for you to..Get back to you on the turbo in the AM buddy:)

88Xj

Banned
Sorry to bump both your threads up...but on your tan Mj..how much lift is that? Any more pics of the paint..kinda like the one with the 4wd emblem..any close ones like that? Trying to get a feel for the finish of the paint. Rustoleum sand vs krylon flat kahki..Rustoleum appears to be a semi-gloss?

And can I get a pic of the 868's light up with out the headlights? I want square lights on my jeep to replace my Hella 500's..they are just out of place. But I cannot find a pattern for those 868's anywhere!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman