CVT Group Buy!

latybug

latybug...those are to help with entering and exiting the tent! They work! Tent looks good by the way. Where is the first outing going to be?

So you keep them extended toward the ladder and then just grab onto them to steady yourself? That's a pretty nifty idea.
I'll be going to CA.
And I will be sure to take a picture of the ladder braces too! :)

Last edited:

Pritchnakoff

Observer
Wow, all - you've got me drooling to get moving! I've been super busy working the past two weeks and not focusing here; but after catching up on the thread it sounds like everyone has posted up all the questions that I soon will have: picking up my tent on Friday!
:D

I too will be mounting to an offroad trailer I am building and as of now am looking at 56" off the ground (will get another 2" or 3" inches when I move over to the offroad tires) so nearly 5' off the ground, I am hoping that the 8" of included adjustment will suffice? Ha anyone taken a measurement of what that height would need to be? Maybe some spacers on my rack would solve the problem?

I am also loving everyone's pictures and can't wait to contribute my own!
Woo Whoo & cheers!

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
:wings:Mine came today!!

Unfortunately, somewhere along it's route, it got into a fight with a fork lift, and lost:smilies27

newtent4thetc123.jpg

newtent4thetc125.jpg

newtent4thetc126.jpg

newtent4thetc129.jpg

Fork (or something similar) went completely through the base:

newtent4thetc135.jpg

The delivery guy was great, and waited while I got a hold of CVT (I was the last stop, and he was done for the day)

He was also curious as to what it was:) All his copy said was 'Vehicle Tent', and he was wondering what the heck a 170 pound 'vehicle tent' looked like:elkgrin:

My old one is sold already, and I really need this one for the 19-22. I'm volunteering for the "Crawl 4 the Cure" which raises money for the MS Society. It's a ways from home, and with the hotels at $100 per night...I need to camp.

Bobby at CVT was great, called me right back. gave me instructions as to what to do, and to go ahead and use the tent for now.

Sooo, we do get new pics of it mounted up!!

newtent4thetc149.jpg

newtent4thetc151.jpg

newtent4thetc148.jpg

newtent4thetc147.jpg

Big thanks to 'mrwizard' for the spray silicone tip!! Made the telescoping ladder free right up and work great!

I will have to fab up some type of rack, to get the RTT up over 6' when parked/camping, and yet keep it low for towing.

Then I can use the annex to it's full extent!

This RTT has many improvements over my last one. Beefier screens/straps, reinforced corners on the rainfly, mattress appears to be better foam, and other small details.

Other than the gash through the base (which CVT is taking care of) I'm extremely happy with this purchase!!

And the customer service from CVT has been awesome!

One note on the ladder: I noticed that the very top poles, need to be orientated correctly, or they will not lock properly.

I'm around 50" off the ground (IIRC) and the ladder worked great with the top 3 rungs collapsed.

This is the first time I have ever done a 'Group Buy' type of thing on a forum, and It's been a great experience!

Thanks to 'Pritchnakoff' and CVT for putting this on!

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Wow, all - you've got me drooling to get moving! I've been super busy working the past two weeks and not focusing here; but after catching up on the thread it sounds like everyone has posted up all the questions that I soon will have: picking up my tent on Friday!
:D

I too will be mounting to an offroad trailer I am building and as of now am looking at 56" off the ground (will get another 2" or 3" inches when I move over to the offroad tires) so nearly 5' off the ground, I am hoping that the 8" of included adjustment will suffice? Ha anyone taken a measurement of what that height would need to be? Maybe some spacers on my rack would solve the problem?

I am also loving everyone's pictures and can't wait to contribute my own!
Woo Whoo & cheers!

My tent on the top of our H3 is 6'6" to the base of the tent. I did not use the velcro to shorten the annex and in the thunderstorm that rolled through I had the base zippers leaking. This may have been solved by using them. I mocked it up after our trip, and with it 6'6" off the ground and the 8" adjustment made I think it would have been right. My buddy and I have come up with an idea for a lid that we think will work and remain stable after it is raised the approx. 2.5' we need to get it where we can use the annex. I will keep you posted, as we plan to have something built before labor day. Basically we plan for the lid to be 8" tall, and when it opens it comes up and forward (think over the tongue a little) then use stabilizing jacks on all 4 corners set wide. I hope it will work as we have a good trip planned for the week after labor day.

:wings:Mine came today!!

Unfortunately, somewhere along it's route, it got into a fight with a fork lift, and lost:smilies27

Fork (or something similar) went completely through the base:

newtent4thetc135.jpg

The delivery guy was great, and waited while I got a hold of CVT (I was the last stop, and he was done for the day)

He was also curious as to what it was:) All his copy said was 'Vehicle Tent', and he was wondering what the heck a 170 pound 'vehicle tent' looked like:elkgrin:

My old one is sold already, and I really need this one for the 19-22. I'm volunteering for the "Crawl 4 the Cure" which raises money for the MS Society. It's a ways from home, and with the hotels at $100 per night...I need to camp.

Bobby at CVT was great, called me right back. gave me instructions as to what to do, and to go ahead and use the tent for now.

Sooo, we do get new pics of it mounted up!!

Big thanks to 'mrwizard' for the spray silicone tip!! Made the telescoping ladder free right up and work great!

I will have to fab up some type of rack, to get the RTT up over 6' when parked/camping, and yet keep it low for towing.

This RTT has many improvements over my last one. Beefier screens/straps, reinforced corners on the rainfly, mattress appears to be better foam, and other small details.

Other than the gash through the base (which CVT is taking care of) I'm extremely happy with this purchase!!

And the customer service from CVT has been awesome!

One note on the ladder: I noticed that the very top poles, need to be orientated correctly, or they will not lock properly.

I'm around 50" off the ground (IIRC) and the ladder worked great with the top 3 rungs collapsed.

This is the first time I have ever done a 'Group Buy' type of thing on a forum, and It's been a great experience!

Thanks to 'Pritchnakoff' and CVT for putting this on!

Same here, yours is a little worse than mine. But Bobby said he would get me taken care of. I hope so, as we loved the tent on our first outing, us being above and the playpen being in the lower area was absolutely perfect. During the thunderstorm the one night the little guy came up with us and still had plenty of room, and all were dry.

mrwizard

Adventurer
My buddy and I have come up with an idea for a lid that we think will work and remain stable after it is raised the approx. 2.5' we need to get it where we can use the annex. I will keep you posted, as we plan to have something built before labor day. Basically we plan for the lid to be 8" tall, and when it opens it comes up and forward (think over the tongue a little) then use stabilizing jacks on all 4 corners set wide. I hope it will work as we have a good trip planned for the week after labor day.

I just started a new thread for this kind of discussion. Check it out and contribute here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...a-Roof-Top-Tent-on-an-Adventure-Trailer-Ideas

3d fj

Observer
I haven't gotten my tent yet, but i have a few questions that hopefully someone will answer before tonight is over.

1. How many cross bar supports (thule/yakima) under the floor are necessary under a Mt. Shasta? Under a Mt. Rainier?

2. Should the cross bar supports under the floor extend the full width of the tent?

3. Does it matter whether the cross bar supports are parallel or perpendicular to the length of the tent? i.e. side opening vs rear opening?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I haven't gotten my tent yet, but i have a few questions that hopefully someone will answer before tonight is over.

1. How many cross bar supports (thule/yakima) under the floor are necessary under a Mt. Shasta? Under a Mt. Rainier?

2. Should the cross bar supports under the floor extend the full width of the tent?

3. Does it matter whether the cross bar supports are parallel or perpendicular to the length of the tent? i.e. side opening vs rear opening?

I have 2 crossbars under my Rainier, the tent is set up so you can open to the side OR off the back. To go off the rear you have to shorten the mounting tracks. My cross bars are a tad TOO long as they extend past the tent, this causes them to interfere with the annex. The bars only need to be long enough to go through your towers. The entire width of the tent does not sit on them due to the mounting rail. You can kind of see it what I am talking about in the picture below.

425131_10151243468228294_290960937_n.jpg

Last edited:

Pritchnakoff

Observer
Hey guys, I finally picked up my tent after a whirlwind of driving on Friday to get to CVT before they had to close for the night. I went with the Mt. Hood 4 man tent w/o the additional annex room. I wanted to save as much cash as possible and with all the notes about how the room walls are too long for standard trailer mounting, I figured the normal annex space would be good enough to store clothes and gear to keep dry. Here are some pics of the tent mounted up and open:

photobucket-9001-1342404751012.jpg

photobucket-6007-1342404746332.jpg
photobucket-10116-1342404745714.jpg

photobucket-9365-1342404749952.jpg

photobucket-9264-1342404745090.jpg

photobucket-1226-1342404749407.jpg

Can't wait to get out there and use it now. Thanks to the off shoot thread for raising & lowering the tent mounting solutions, I have subscribed and will be following along.
:victory:

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Hey guys, I finally picked up my tent after a whirlwind of driving on Friday to get to CVT before they had to close for the night. I went with the Mt. Hood 4 man tent w/o the additional annex room. I wanted to save as much cash as possible and with all the notes about how the room walls are too long for standard trailer mounting, I figured the normal annex space would be good enough to store clothes and gear to keep dry. Here are some pics of the tent mounted up and open:

photobucket-9001-1342404751012.jpg

photobucket-6007-1342404746332.jpg
photobucket-10116-1342404745714.jpg

photobucket-9365-1342404749952.jpg

photobucket-9264-1342404745090.jpg

photobucket-1226-1342404749407.jpg

Can't wait to get out there and use it now. Thanks to the off shoot thread for raising & lowering the tent mounting solutions, I have subscribed and will be following along.
:victory:

Do you have any stabilizing jacks on that trailer? It looks like a nice setup.

Pritchnakoff

Observer
Do you have any stabilizing jacks on that trailer? It looks like a nice setup.

Been thinking about getting a pair for the rear, but until I get the fenders/side steps fabbed up I am holding off. Also, I will be putting the spare over the tongue and two 5 gallon tanks (one on each side) in the front; so with all that weight forward of the axle I am not sure if I'll need the stabilizers - they won't hurt though so we'll see. Here is a link to my build if you are interested, support and ideas ALWAYS welcome.

Thanks-

3d fj

Observer
Here's another question i thought of. with the 4 person tents (rainier/hood), the dimensions are 72" width x 96 " length.... Can you sleep head to toe direction perpendicular to the 96" or do you have to sleep head to toe direction parallel to the 96" direction? Is the half of the tent that is not over the crossbars strong enough to support weight in that fashion?

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Been thinking about getting a pair for the rear, but until I get the fenders/side steps fabbed up I am holding off. Also, I will be putting the spare over the tongue and two 5 gallon tanks (one on each side) in the front; so with all that weight forward of the axle I am not sure if I'll need the stabilizers - they won't hurt though so we'll see. Here is a link to my build if you are interested, support and ideas ALWAYS welcome.

Thanks-

I think you could get away with one on the rear they way your tent is set up. I roll around a lot, so I wouldn't want to chance it if the water tanks were empty LOL :Wow1: I don't like critiquing anyone else's until I have built one, mine is also in process, and not as far along as yours so hopefully I will learn some! My biggest thing to figure out right now is if I want to do my hanging kitchen right away, wait, or use a pre-made portable kitchen.

Here's another question i thought of. with the 4 person tents (rainier/hood), the dimensions are 72" width x 96 " length.... Can you sleep head to toe direction perpendicular to the 96" or do you have to sleep head to toe direction parallel to the 96" direction? Is the half of the tent that is not over the crossbars strong enough to support weight in that fashion?

After using mine last week, I wouldn't even want to try. With the door location it would be pretty impractical, if not only for entry/egress with multiple people but for yourself. As for the second part of the question, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Pritchnakoff

Observer

I guess that would depend on your personal height; I am 5'5" and I can lay perpendicular to the 96" length with an inch or two to spare at each end, I am the tallest in my family so in theory we could sleep extremely comfortable in that direction; although most sleeping bags are longer and would probably be bunched up? Regarding the weight, I guess I would not be worried about it in that fashion, if you slept lengthwise with your upper body over the canopy you would be fine; also during set-up I had been sitting on my knees on the folded out side for quite a bit and never felt unsafe - I will see if I can track down the ratings for weight management on that side of the tent vs. the other.

NW European

Observer
Got my tent mounted up a few days ago and did a quick one nighter in it to test it out at the local camping site on Friday night. Overall, very happy with the Mt. Rainier I decided on.

Two questions (for what feels like the CVT support group here!)

1. The ladder -- what am I doing wrong? I have that new style telescoping ladder and no matter what I seem to do, I cannot get it to lock into place on the last section. I have a tall application (84") to the load bars, and I think that CVT sent the 100" ladder (he said there was both a 90" and a 100" model). Several times I have been going up the ladder, thinking it is locked in place ,and when I add my weight to the cantilevered tent at the top, the ladder will "jump/compress" several inches, and it scares the hell out of me every time. I sure feel like the old style ladder seems better...

2. For those of you that have the annex section like the Rainier -- how are you storing that large U shaped bar? I just feed it into the two holes, but it seems precarious like that as it may end up wearing or tearing the fabric over time as you kind of fight it into the storage position.

Thanks! Like I said, overall very happy, just learning how to use it better!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77