Diesel News: POST HERE

lowenbrau

Explorer
It is a good question. There is a 1991 patrol for sale locally with that engine for less than $5K and I was wondering if I should use the engine and front axle in my Land Cruiser Mine truck project.

postalWagon

Adventurer
I have been looking at the 6.2 liter DD diesel engine and have a few questions:
how much do the weigh,
what kind of mpg could I get with one in a 3500lbs rig,
can they be run on WVO or like
and what kind of short falls do they have?

Thanks,
Happy New Year!!!

bfdiesel

Explorer
I have been looking at the 6.2 liter DD diesel engine and have a few questions:
how much do the weigh,
what kind of mpg could I get with one in a 3500lbs rig,
can they be run on WVO or like
and what kind of short falls do they have?

Thanks,
Happy New Year!!!

About 750-800 pounds.

high teens low twenties.

will run on anything oily

stock harmonic balancers failing breaking the crank, cracked main bearing webbing.

not the most powerful engine especially in naturally asperated version.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I was thinking about a sd33* in my jeep in the future, and was wandering how would a sd hold up in 3500 lbs rig?

My Patrol with an SD33 is 6,000lbs, my motor has over 350,000ks on it and is holding up fine. It is far from a speed demon though. If you are going to use it in a DD and want some decent performance. A turbo is a must, as well as a free flow exhaust. I would also strongly suggest and intercooler.

haven

Expedition Leader
On January 5, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchione said that the Jeep Grand Cherokee will offer a diesel engine option "next year." It remains to be seen if this means in model year 2013, which starts in September 2012, or sometime in calendar 2013.

The engine will be the newly designed VM Motori A630 3.0L turbodiesel V6. The engine produces 405 ft lbs of torque and has a fuel economy rating of 8.3L per 100 km (about 28 mpg US) in the European version of the Grand Cherokee. That mpg figure is a significant improvement over the Grand Cherokee with 5.7L V8, which the EPA rates at 15 mpg combined.

Here's more information about the engine
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html

The VM Motori engine is designed for inline or transverse installation, making it an option for any Chrysler vehicle that uses a gas V8 today. I doubt the engine will be offered in the Wrangler, however. The engine's weight and torque are far beyond what the Wrangler was designed to accommodate.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
On January 5, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchione said that the Jeep Grand Cherokee will offer a diesel engine option "next year." It remains to be seen if this means in model year 2013, which starts in September 2012, or sometime in calendar 2013.

The engine will be the newly designed VM Motori A630 3.0L turbodiesel V6. The engine produces 405 ft lbs of torque and has a fuel economy rating of 8.3L per 100 km (about 28 mpg US) in the European version of the Grand Cherokee. That mpg figure is a significant improvement over the Grand Cherokee with 5.7L V8, which the EPA rates at 15 mpg combined.

Here's more information about the engine
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/VM-RA-diesel.html

The VM Motori engine is designed for inline or transverse installation, making it an option for any Chrysler vehicle that uses a gas V8 today. I doubt the engine will be offered in the Wrangler, however. The engine's weight and torque are far beyond what the Wrangler was designed to accommodate.
Glory...

...it would be neat in a Power Wagon...

Or a Massif.
Are they going to ever bring it here? I asked at the FIAT dealer the other day when I was getting my free oil change and they didn't know what it was. They promised an Alpha sometime soon though.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
More Jeep Diesel info....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/chrysler-says-it-will-add-1250-jobs-at-2-detroit-factories-to-make-diesel-jeep-muscle-car/2012/01/05/gIQAYbMRdP_story.html

DETROIT — Chrysler will add 1,250 jobs at two Detroit factories next year — another sign that the once struggling automaker appears to be making a comeback.

The Jefferson North Assembly Plant will get 1,100 new workers and a third shift to help build a Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel model for North America. Another 150 workers will be added when Chrysler reopens the Conner Avenue factory to make a Street Racing Team version of the Dodge Viper muscle car.

haven

Expedition Leader
This has been a good week for diesel announcements. Porsche confirmed that in the 2013 model year the Cayenne SUV will be available with a modified version of the VW 3.0L turbodiesel under the hood.

So for 2013, customers from USA will be able to choose a diesel powered SUV from Audi, VW, BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, or Jeep. The Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is likely to be the least expensive of these six.

The prospect for new diesel passenger cars is less clear. Outside of the German manufacturers, only two manufacturers will add diesels in 2013. GM has announced plans to put a 4 cylinder diesel in the Chevrolet Cruze compact and Cadillac ATS for 2013. And Mazda will offer the 2.2L Skyactive-D turbodiesel in the new CX-5 compact SUV.

Ford seems dedicated to the EcoBoost gas engine. Honda, Toyota, Subaru and Nissan all have small diesel models in Europe, but no plans for USA have been announced.

haven

Expedition Leader
Cadillac just revealed that their new luxury compact sedan, the ATS, will offer a diesel as one of its engine choices. The engine will be the 4 cylinder diesel that Chevrolet plans to put into the Cruze sedan in 2013. The diesel is rumored to produce about 260 ft lbs of torque.

That diesel would be a good fit with GM's new midsize pickup truck. A fuel efficient diesel would help GM's light trucks meet the government's required fuel economy average, which stands at 24 mpg for model year 2013.

Viggen

Just here...
Mercedes is bringing a diesel electric hybrid E-series sedan to the Detroit Auto Show. The vehicle gets 57 mpg US gallons (4.2 l per 100 km) in mixed driving due to the use of a 2.2 L 4 cylinder turbodiesel engine, auto engine shutdown when the vehicle stops in traffic, regenerative braking, and the ability to drive solely on electricity. No range figure for driving on electric power was announced.

Running in combination, the diesel and electric motor produce about 360 ft lbs of torque (500 nm).

I am thinking this is the future.....

It is. VW has a hybrid diesel electric. Over here, the Volvo double decker buses are diesel electric. They shut down when stopped and start moving under electric motor and then the diesel kicks on. Combine that with AdBlue, there is seemingly nothing coming out of the tailpipe. If they can do it in buses, they can do it in cars.

TimS

Adventurer
More diesel rumblings from Chrysler: http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/chrysler-s-marchionne-hints-diesel-proliferation

"Expect diesel engines to be offered in the successor to the Ram Dakota small pickup and possibly the Dodge Durango midsize SUV, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne says."

I was at a dodge dealer and the parts guy was going on about the new diesel coming out with the dodge trucks. Of course, he knows as much as I do about it. Just from whats been written and said.
Mr Beers, are you going to Sno-Drift?

haven

Expedition Leader
If you Google for "class action lawsuit ford 6.0 powerstroke" you'll find many pages of results. Lawyers and unhappy Powerstroke 6.0 owners have been suing Ford and Navistar for years. It's why Ford ended its long term relationship with Navistar, and now builds the 6.7L V8 diesel in house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online