Diesel News: POST HERE

haven

Expedition Leader
Good point. The trip in Europe was mostly highway driving, but it included stop and go city driving and a 120 mph blast on the Autobahn. So the reported 42 mpg should be compared to the Cruz Eco's 33 mpg in combined driving.

The diesel's results are a 27% improvement in mpg over the EPA combined rating for the Cruz Eco gas engine, which is about what you might expect, given different emissions control requirements and the higher energy in diesel fuel. The VW Jetta 2.0L diesel is about 30% more fuel efficient than the Jetta 2.5L gas model.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
snip...The VW Jetta 2.0L diesel is about 30% more fuel efficient than the Jetta 2.5L gas model.

The VW TDI is a very good comparison because it's a true apple-to-apples comparison that North American folks can put their hands on.

haven

Expedition Leader
Grand Cherokee to get a diesel in 2013

Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Chrysler and Fiat, confirmed that Chrysler will turn to diesel engines to improve fuel economy in several large Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles. First up will be the 2013 Grand Cherokee.

Marchionne did not say which diesel will be offered, but today Fiat puts a VM Motori 3.0L V6 in the Grand Cherokee model sold in Europe. This engine produces 400 ft-lbs of torque, which would be suitable for larger vehicles. The diesel will be paired with a new 8 speed transmission built by ZF.

Don't look for the 3.0L V6 diesel in the Wrangler, however. That much torque would require upgrades to every piece of the Wrangler's drivetrain. A more likely application would be the Ram 1500 pickup.

https://rumors.automobilemag.com/ch...sel-more-hybrids-under-development-82383.html

haven

Expedition Leader
Add Mazda to the list of companies planning to introduce a diesel engine in USA during the next 12 months.

Ward's Automotive News recently published an interview with Jeff Breneman, executive director of the U.S. Coalition for Advanced Diesel Cars (a diesel fuel marketing association). Breneman says 52% of all service stations in USA now sell diesel fuel.

Of greater interest, Breneman says Mazda plans to introduce a diesel powered Mazda6 (think Ford Fusion mid size) in 2012. Mazda has new technology called SkyActiv-D that improves diesel emissions performance while maintaining fuel economy. The SkyActiv-D 2.2L twin turbo four cylinder engine is expected to produce about 300 ft-lbs of torque, while returning about 40 mpg highway in the Mazda6. That's about 30% better than the 31 mpg the EPA estimates the 2012 Mazda6 will return when equipped with the 2.5L gas engine and driven on the highway.

Mazda is also planning to introduce a new small sport utility called the CX-5 in 2012 or 2013. The CX-5 will compete with vehicles like the Toyota RAV4, VW Tiguan, and Mercedes GLK. The diesel would be a nice fit under the hood of this vehicle, and the 300 ft-lbs of torque would be best in class. Maybe this competition will help VW, Toyota and Mercedes (and Honda and Subaru) bring a 4 cylinder diesel to USA. [Edit: VW is planning to put the diesel from the Jetta into the Tiguan in 2015.]

Here's a description of the Mazda Skyactiv-D
http://wardsauto.com/ar/mazda_reinvents_diesel_110817/

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
News flash!!

Old diesels rule!! :)

Here is mine.....

a 1984 Nissan SD33T, inline 6cyl. Next to no wiring, it only needs power to start, ie turn the starter. It has no ECM or ECU, only a small motor on the IP which can easily be bypassed. It is also fully water proof minus the air intake of course, no electricals to worry about getting wet. This motor was sold in the USA and put in IH Scouts in the late 1970s and early 1980s. It was also put in some Nissan forklifts and even in some boats. Overseas it was put in Patrols. It is available in the USA! Mine is highly modified with a custom turbo, shaved sump with extrenal 5-stage oil pump, duel intercoolers, ect ect. Oh and it is super charged too!

This motor also responds well and is super easy to put on veggie fuel. ;)

haven

Expedition Leader
All you need is a 1984 chassis to put that Nissan diesel into! (For emissions control, many states won't let you put an older engine into a newer chassis, even a 27 year old engine.)

gahi

Adventurer
What kind of power are getting out of the SD33T?

I have a stock one I plan on putting in a project.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I guy with an IH Scout w/this engine pulled into a remote Baja surf spot in the early 80's. Very simple setup,but you certainly couldn't sneak up on someone. You could hear this vehicle coming from quite a distance.

Seem to have plenty of lowend power as it was trudging through some deep sand effortlessly.

Smoked like a banshee as did many from that era,but couldn't hold a fiddle to some Mexicans having a "tire burn" next to it. Nothing like burning petroleum to keep you warm on a fridgid Baja night(as long as you were upwind).

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
All you need is a 1984 chassis to put that Nissan diesel into! (For emissions control, many states won't let you put an older engine into a newer chassis, even a 27 year old engine.)

Yeah that is always a concern when considering any conversion.

Lucky for me here in Wyoming nothing is illegal. My rock crawler is full hydraulic steering, portal axles, 40" tires and street legal plus insured. My 84 Cruiser has a Ramjet v8 and same thing, no problems at all here. I could put the diesel in the Cruiser and v8 in the Patrol and nobody cares one bit! :)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
What kind of power are getting out of the SD33T?

I have a stock one I plan on putting in a project.

The build isn't about power increases although it certainly has way more power then stock! Also have not had it dyno'ed for numbers only for run in, testing and tuning purposes. I would be lucky to be much over 150hp.

Stock is about 110hp with the turbo. N/A is about 90ish hp. They are not big power motors but if set up right (the right turbo, free flow exhaust, intrecooler, tuned IP, ect) they will have all the power you need unless towing. Redline is about 4k on these motor but it will pull a 4-5,000lbs truck up mountain passes without slwoing down, again if set up right. Stock they are kind of (old) dogs. And as I mentioned it is easy to put on veggie.

Jay H

servicedriven.org
I have a 2004 Toyota Rav4 and am absolutely lusting after the new D4D D-Cat 2AD-FHV. Its only a 2.2L inline 4 but 177 hp and 295ft/lbs is obscene.

haven

Expedition Leader
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/13/volvo-introduces-production-v60-diesel-plug-in-hybrid/#continued

Volvo has introduced a new diesel electric hybrid. This model is interesting because the 2.4L 5 cylinder diesel engine and 6 speed automatic transmission drive the front wheels, while the electric motor drives the rear wheels. The driver can choose to drive on electricity only or diesel only. The onboard battery holds enough juice to travel 32 miles on electricity alone. Recharging is accomplished by plugging in, or by running the diesel engine.

For circumstances where maximum power is required, the diesel engine and electric motor can work together to provide about 470 ft-lbs of torque. When on a slippery surface, the electric motor can work in conjunction with the vehicle stability controls, providing a sort of all wheel drive.

Volvo plans to make about 1000 of the diesel electric hybrids. Distribution will be limited to Europe at first.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mercedes is bringing a diesel electric hybrid E-series sedan to the Detroit Auto Show. The vehicle gets 57 mpg US gallons (4.2 l per 100 km) in mixed driving due to the use of a 2.2 L 4 cylinder turbodiesel engine, auto engine shutdown when the vehicle stops in traffic, regenerative braking, and the ability to drive solely on electricity. No range figure for driving on electric power was announced.

Running in combination, the diesel and electric motor produce about 360 ft lbs of torque (500 nm).

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Mercedes is bringing a diesel electric hybrid E-series sedan to the Detroit Auto Show. The vehicle gets 57 mpg US gallons (4.2 l per 100 km) in mixed driving due to the use of a 2.2 L 4 cylinder turbodiesel engine, auto engine shutdown when the vehicle stops in traffic, regenerative braking, and the ability to drive solely on electricity. No range figure for driving on electric power was announced.

Running in combination, the diesel and electric motor produce about 360 ft lbs of torque (500 nm).

I am thinking this is the future.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach