Disco 1 or not?

muskyman

Explorer
Once again someone comes here with the desire to buy a disco and they are steered to a toyota?

I just dont get it...because a disco cant do a 2500 mile trip right?

OMG this really needs to stop, disco's are just not that bad and dont deserve the attitude around here that they pale in reliability to everything else out there...its just not the case.

I would jump in mine and head out across the country without a second thought. I jump in it for thousand mile weekends with popping the hood.

If you keep up regular service work on them and know the few major issues to each model they will take yoy a long way and in really nice style.

The vision view and driving position makes for a level of comfort that few other trucks can come close to. I have had some many people after spending a weekend in my truck remark how much more enjoyable the trip was then anything else they had ever road tripped in.

There is just something special about all the glass and low window sills combined with the smooth ride of the coil springs, these trucks are just meant for going places.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I would jump in mine and head out across the country without a second thought. I jump in it for thousand mile weekends with popping the hood.

If you keep up regular service work on them and know the few major issues to each model they will take yoy a long way and in really nice style.

The vision view and driving position makes for a level of comfort that few other trucks can come close to. I have had some many people after spending a weekend in my truck remark how much more enjoyable the trip was then anything else they had ever road tripped in.

There is just something special about all the glass and low window sills combined with the smooth ride of the coil springs, these trucks are just meant for going places.

Agreed. I have often envied the comfort in which my Disco driving friends take on the same trails that I do in my Defender.

muskyman

Explorer
I've thought about the RRC, but I dont know how it compares to the disco 1 for offroad capability. I like the 95' RRC, with a coil spring suspension.

the SWB RRC and the disco share a chassis and the suspensions are nearly identicle except the air bags and load leveling on the RRC.

the LWB RRC is 8" longer and rides alot better on the highway but drives a bit bigger on tight trails as well.

the added rear head room in the disco is nice as is the added light from the alpine windows and second sun roof.

I really dig my 95 RRC but I am a disco guy through and through.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
My kids are 11 and 7. There will only be three in the LR.
Unless they are huge for their ages, the three of you will be fine with the room that's in a Disco 1.
If you get one and go through it taking care of any routine maintenance and needed repairs that have been neglected, carry a small number of critical spares, you should be fine.

SeaRubi

Explorer
edit: i missed Musky's post above. pretty much what he said.

I've thought about the RRC, but I dont know how it compares to the disco 1 for offroad capability. I like the 95' RRC, with a coil spring suspension.

The Discovery was developed as a way for Land Rover to market a tougher, more utility based version of the Range Rover. The D1's chassis, suspension, and drivetrain are virtually identical to that of the 'Classic.

I myself have always preferred the Rangie over the Disco. I'm not a fan of the tall boxy roof line, nor all that weight that the alpine windows and the rest of the body work puts over the tail. The center of gravity is more optimally positioned forward and a bit lower in the RRC and it gets a tiny boost in off-road agility as a result. This always pisses off the Disco guys, both online and off-road.

stirthepot.gif

stirthepot.gif

stirthepot.gif

I think you'd be pretty comfortable in the LWB classic. Find one for $2k and then use the rest to go through it. They are getting long in the tooth these days and finding clean examples are getting a lot harder to come by.

cheers
-ike

Last edited:

Cambo

Adventurer
Having owned both a Disco and RRC I do like the Land Rover vehicles and can attest to their durability and workability. They are very easy to work on and maintain. That being said, Musky don't get mad, I switched to a Toyota 4runner. I had been driving and working on Land Rovers for about 6 years. The reason I went to Toyota is that there are a lot more aftermarket parts avaible and also everyday parts sources are more reliable. Another reason was, I was looking at more difficult trails and wanted to get a rig for tighter trails and super important was the turning radius, (which rocks in a 4runner!!!) and better fuel mileage. Regardless, the Disco has a ton of parts and if you find the right parts guy, WIll Tillery, you can get any part you need. I still need to convert the 4runner to a solid front axle and unless you find one cheap like I did, you would be blowing your budget, this is a 3rd gen by the way. You can find a Disco I pretty cheap and drive the hell out of it. Just find one maintained and have it checked out. Don't be afraid to jump into one of these babies and drive!

Michaels, stop being such a prick!!! Just tell the guy about your Landy! :smiley_drive:

toyota_jon

Adventurer
Lol these LR threads are so predictable...

OP- Tell me about LR

within 5 replies go toyota... and more often than not go cruiser.

Lol as if everyone out there wasn't completely aware of toyota's rep as reliable.

To the OP I have wheeled with quite a few guys out here in CO who own landy's and here are my observations...

The jokes about lucas electronic are true. If you're one of those people which has to keep every button and gadget in the truck working you're gonna loose some hair. But the only time i have seen it impact the ability of the rig to get home was when it was an alternator. What vehicle hasn't had one go out? more often than not it's stupid little things like elect. seat wiring. things that won't keep you from getting home.

The LR's ride is AWESOME!!! I like how simple my truck is with leafs on all four corners but at then end of the day i'm jealous. If you do get one with the airbag suspension I would looking into a coil conversion. As those airbags are a known problem. but once again this is something that even if one blows you can still get home. Along with the ride is the cabin layout. sitting high in the cabin means great visibility. something that you will ding every other car for when you realize how great it is.

The engine and drivetrain while under powered, is a pretty reliable setup. It's an old GM motor that LR bought back in the day. The AT tranny is a very robust tranny, and with basic maint. it shouldn't give you any worries. The TC is another robust unit. Don't look for outstand MPG though, as i'm sure you are already aware of. As others have touched on, don't get behind on the maint. on these trucks. staying on top of the preventative maint. will dramatically increase your overally happiness with the rig.

This may sound funny to hear but these are trucks meant to be driven and wheeled. The trucks that tend to give people problems are those rigs that never leave the pavement. the trucks that are taken out wheeled and splashed through a few mud puddles are the ones who seam to be the most reliable. Again sounds wrong but in my experience this holds true.

Bottom line, in the time i have wheeled with these trucks, and watched their owners beat on them there have only been very few times that we've had troubles. One was a badly clogged radiator, which resulted in over-heating. The other one that comes to mind is like i said earlier an alternator. Otherwise they always make it home. Oh yeah and to those who are overally critical of LR all i gotta say is Camel Trophy...:sombrero:

Like i said these are MY observations, wheeling with these trucks. Others results may differ. :smiley_drive:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I think Scott is dead-on about the size issue. I have a family of 5, yet for some reason I'm emotionally tied to short wheelbase rigs. While my Series III 88 can seat 7, it can't seat 7 and stow gear without relying on a rack or trailer heavily. I wish I could say my wife and kids liked to dirt-bag camp, but unfortunately they're more into the campaign style of camping. To be honest, as I grow older I see the advantages more and more. Now I just to find that middle ground between what we want and what we can transport.

Just be aware of the size issue and how it would impact your travel style.

With any rig, I would find the common, drop-dead failures and carry the spares with you. This is especially true with Land Rover and other semi-boutique marques, where the parts network may not extend to your destination. The BFE NAPA might not see a whole lot of Rovers run through that way, and so will not be likely to stock the parts.

I personally have always liked the looks of the Discos. They just really have a cool vibe about them. The Range Rover's looks are just too derivative of the innovative Ford Flex styling:
09FordFlex_17_HR_(400x300).jpg

...I kid!!! I kid!!!

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm not really going to comment on the D1 reliability as I don't own one. The horror stories are out there but my D2 had been pretty good. That being said, there are a rew things you definitely have to put up with in a Rover. Namely parts availability and pricing. Things are harder to find, and 2-3 times the price just because they are for a Rover.

Just another idea: Have you considered a Jeep Wrangler and a small off-road trailer? It's something I wish I had thought about before I bought my truck. I never even thought about a trailer, and it would have solved a lot of issues.

I also looked at an XJ. Biggest thing with them, because it was also going to be a daily driver, is that the interiors were attrocious, even on the newer ones (like 2002?). Looked like a carry-over from a K-car. I just couldn't do it. (Sorry XJ guys, just my opinion).

Roverhound

Adventurer
Lol these LR threads are so predictable...

OP- Tell me about LR

within 5 replies go toyota... and more often than not go cruiser.

So true. It's kind of pathetic really.
toyota_jon said:
This may sound funny to hear but these are trucks meant to be driven and wheeled. The trucks that tend to give people problems are those rigs that never leave the pavement. the trucks that are taken out wheeled and splashed through a few mud puddles are the ones who seam to be the most reliable. Again sounds wrong but in my experience this holds true.
This is the same experience I had with my BMW's, the liked to be driven hard. I think my truck is happier after a good trail ride.

SeaRubi

Explorer

I personally have always liked the looks of the Discos. They just really have a cool vibe about them. The Range Rover's looks are just too derivative of the innovative Ford Flex styling:
09FordFlex_17_HR_(400x300).jpg

...I kid!!! I kid!!!

Mike, your diplomacy is spectacular. In fact, this might be the perfect rig for an RTT. :victory::elkgrin::elkgrin: I hear they even come with a power inverter built-in! And a twin turbo V6 that gets over 20mpg :drool:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Mike, your diplomacy is spectacular. In fact, this might be the perfect rig for an RTT. :victory::elkgrin::elkgrin: I hear they even come with a power inverter built-in! And a twin turbo V6 that gets over 20mpg :drool:

I first saw one of those a couple weeks ago, as I sat dozing in the car waiting for the wife to come out of a store. My first groggy thought was, "new Land Rover?!?" Then I saw the blue oval, and I really couldn't believe that Ford went there. Then I woke up a little and figured, "of course they did."

Lots of seats in that thing, and for the person who wants a minivan without actually driving a minivan it's a good concept. As for the implementation? Well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven