Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
All not in favor of defense tools while camping please place a sign in front of your camp site stating this, so the meth addicts leave me the hell alone.

A

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Alright, you're right. The correct term to use would of been 'ignorant moron'.
Street Wolf, I don't think that's necessary.

To be sure, there are a great many travelers on here who have traveled farther than you, me and nearly all of us combined and have done so safely and happily without weapons on board. Not to say you need or don't need one, simply pointing out that those people who chose to leave home without weapons are hardly stupid or morons.

Am I to assume your travels will only take you as far as your "arms" will reach? What if you want to travel outside the US?

Last edited:

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
It KILLS me to hear stories like that. I hate to say it but.... there are a million laws out there, including California's retarted law telling homeowners they have to have locked up guns. Why do people think they have to abide by every written law of the land? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? To think the gub-ment will save you is absurd. I was a cop at one time,, and I can tell you, I don't depend on them for ******&T. Of course.. I live down a long dirt road, might have something to do with it.

Well, if they don't abide, and the police find out, they have committed a felony and will lose their kids, lose their civil rights, lose their Constitutional rights.....

But I agree with you. One of the reasons I left California.

And like I said about mutants threatening your family or your life: When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. When I lived in Arizona, there frequently was only 1 deputy patrolling the county at night. It was a big county, with lots of twisty mountain roads. If he was writing a speeding ticket on the other side of the county how long do you think it would take to get to me, code-3?

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
All not in favor of defense tools while camping please place a sign in front of your camp site stating this, so the meth addicts leave me the hell alone.

A

Kind of like this?

home-defense-self-defence-nra-guns-firearms.jpg

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Alright, you're right. The correct term to use would of been 'ignorant moron'.

On top of that, I'm not trying to convince anyone to carry a weapon. I could really care less if they choose not to.

I believe the aforementioned "poopyhead" would have been a more appropriate choice of vernacular to demonstrate to precariousness of your statement.

"I know you can fight, but its our wits that make us men." - Braveheart

I have a few SOF buddies who can "make do" just fine without a "weapon."

For some I believe fear has a lot to do with the decision to carry a weapon or not. Heck simply read some of the responces in this thread. I would and will never argue that it's everyones reasoning, but discounting fear as a motive to have a weapon while in the back country would be naive thinking. Certainly there are those whom carry because they are fearful of others or the possibility of bad circumstance, that goes without question.

Weapons are tools, and like all tools not everyone has the capacity to use them effectively. I think the typical arguments for and against weapons are quite nonsensical. The choice should be an entirely personal one. People who blindly suggest that others would be better served by having a weapon are missing a critical link with the reasoning for having it.

Fear of the unknown. I can think of a hundred reasons why I should carry the means to defend myself, but its for the reasons I can't think of that I bring them. Quote is taken a little out of context, but I believe it still applies. We prepare, we drill ourselves to problem solve tight situations or repair journey threatening break downs. These are things we can think of.

Personally, I feel safer with a firearm, but I will not let the choice dictate my travel plans. As I have mentioned before, thereare many ways to defend yourself other than weapons, but it helps to have the right tool for thejob when you need it.

93BLAZER

Explorer
So those who choose not to carry a weapon are stupid?

Stupid is trying to validate an argument with strong language while alienating the people you hope to convince. And if the posturing isn't aimed at others offering an alternate view then it's simply a display of unwarranted importance and overbearing pride. This can be said of anyone making grandiose statements either for or against weapons while camping. Perhaps this thread has run its course.

You shouldn't start a sentence with the word "and".

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Let me try to redirect this. I do have a question for those who prefer to carry. Does it impact your choice of destination? I've traveled all over North America, Alaska, Mexico, Western Canada, Asia, Africa, Europe, etc. It's just not practical to swing into Dakar with a Colt on your hip and it's fair to say some of these destinations are far more risky than your local wooded hollow. Do you just not go to those places?

93BLAZER

Explorer
Sure you can. Didn't you see Goodwill Hunting?:ylsmoke:

This topic has been discussed at great length many o' time in the past. The answer(s) to this question is/are obvious.

I think this should be discussed around a campfire, armed, and after copious amounts of spirits have been consumed. I think it would make the conversation more... interesting!

I'm simply just "stirring the pot " if you will!

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
Let me try to redirect this. I do have a question for those who prefer to carry. Does it impact your choice of destination? I've traveled all over North America, Alaska, Mexico, Western Canada, Asia, Africa, Europe, etc. It's just not practical to swing into Dakar with a Colt on your hip and it's fair to say some of these destinations are far more risky than your local wooded hollow. Do you just not go to those places?

To an extent. For practical purposes you can't take firearms into Mexico at all (especially military caliber, of which I am quite fond), and Canada is problematic so if I'm headed north or south I am certain to not carry. Does it mean I don't go more to those places? Not really, I think. I've been all through Central America (drove to Panama and back) and don't have any burning desire to return.

As far as Dakar goes, an AK-47 slung with insouciance over your back is always en vogue.

93BLAZER

Explorer
To an extent. For practical purposes you can't take firearms into Mexico at all (especially military caliber, of which I am quite fond), and Canada is problematic so if I'm headed north or south I am certain to not carry. Does it mean I don't go more to those places? Not really, I think. I've been all through Central America (drove to Panama and back) and don't have any burning desire to return.

As far as Dakar goes, an AK-47 slung with insouciance over your back is always en vogue.

Correction. You CAN take weapons into Mexico with the proper permits. paperwork obtained from the Mexican Consulate.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I've never been a gun owner until a couple years ago. When in the back country of CO I'm always weary of bears, mountain lions, etc. However, as has been mentioned, it's the 2 legged kind that usually cause the problems. 3 or 4 years ago my wife, 3 kids and I were primitive camping in the middle of nowhere...6-7 miles from anyone. About 11:30 at night after the kids were in bed this Jeep with monster tires, about 8 bright lights and tunes cranked comes flying up the trail towards camp. My wife and I were enjoying the peace and quiet, the stars and a nice fire. The Jeep rolls into our camp and out jump these 2 ********** hillbillies just drunk *** h#ll. They start giving us a hard time, asking us what we were doing out here all alone, circling around us with beers in hand telling my wife she had a nice @ss, etc. I had no real weapon...a shovel, an axe, but no real weapon. I felt helpless and really thought they were going to do something stupid that I might not be able to prevent. My kids woke up due to the noise and one guy told them to shut up. I noticed one of them had a large Rambo knife on his belt and the other had a holster that looked like a pistol However, it was dark and I wasn't asking questions. After about 10 minutes another truck was coming in the distance. They quickly jumped in their rig and took off never to be seen again. I didn't sleep a wink all night! The next week I bought a Glock 21 .45 caliber. I never go into the back country without it now. There is no way I will ever feel as helpless to defend my family as I did that night...hopefully I'll never need to use it.

pint's story really sums it up.

You can choose to carry a firearm to protect yourself and your Family....your young Children!

Or you can choose not to, and Hope that you will not become a Victim like pint's Family almost did.

The Gun....prevents the tragic unknown from happening.

Because overwhelming firepower always wins!

Stay Safe....

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
From what you guys are saying it sounds to me like the U.S.A. is a very violent place. Mutants putting pitch forks through children, yahoos circling the camp threatening with weapons. If I was camping in the U.S. I'd consider carrying a gun. On second thought, maybe I'll just avoid the U.S. altogether since it is so violent. No need to subject my family to the spectre of constant fear from unknowns. There is plenty of stuff up here to see till I can't travel any more.

I don't need a gun to feel safe in Canada. If I was in a soft sided camper in big bear or cat country I'd likely have a rifle relatively handy but beyond that there is no need for a gun unless I'm explicitly out hunting.

93BLAZER

Explorer
From what you guys are saying it sounds to me like the U.S.A. is a very violent place. Mutants putting pitch forks through children, yahoos circling the camp threatening with weapons. .

That pretty much sums up the United States of America.

maybe I'll just avoid the U.S. altogether since it is so violent. No need to subject my family to the spectre of constant fear from unknowns. There is plenty of stuff up here to see till I can't travel any more.

We would love you to come to the US... and spend some money!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal