Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I've never been a gun owner until a couple years ago. When in the back country of CO I'm always weary of bears, mountain lions, etc. However, as has been mentioned, it's the 2 legged kind that usually cause the problems. 3 or 4 years ago my wife, 3 kids and I were primitive camping in the middle of nowhere...6-7 miles from anyone. About 11:30 at night after the kids were in bed this Jeep with monster tires, about 8 bright lights and tunes cranked comes flying up the trail towards camp. My wife and I were enjoying the peace and quiet, the stars and a nice fire. The Jeep rolls into our camp and out jump these 2 ********** hillbillies just drunk *** h#ll. They start giving us a hard time, asking us what we were doing out here all alone, circling around us with beers in hand telling my wife she had a nice @ss, etc. I had no real weapon...a shovel, an axe, but no real weapon. I felt helpless and really thought they were going to do something stupid that I might not be able to prevent. My kids woke up due to the noise and one guy told them to shut up. I noticed one of them had a large Rambo knife on his belt and the other had a holster that looked like a pistol However, it was dark and I wasn't asking questions. After about 10 minutes another truck was coming in the distance. They quickly jumped in their rig and took off never to be seen again. I didn't sleep a wink all night! The next week I bought a Glock 21 .45 caliber. I never go into the back country without it now. There is no way I will ever feel as helpless to defend my family as I did that night...hopefully I'll never need to use it.
good on you....just be sure you have a lot and always recent training and practice so you are always at the top of you abilities.....will make a world of difference if you ever need to defend you and yours!

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
FYI, fear has very little to do with it.
For some I believe fear has a lot to do with the decision to carry a weapon or not. Heck simply read some of the responces in this thread. I would and will never argue that it's everyones reasoning, but discounting fear as a motive to have a weapon while in the back country would be naive thinking. Certainly there are those whom carry because they are fearful of others or the possibility of bad circumstance, that goes without question.

Weapons are tools, and like all tools not everyone has the capacity to use them effectively. I think the typical arguments for and against weapons are quite nonsensical. The choice should be an entirely personal one. People who blindly suggest that others would be better served by having a weapon are missing a critical link with the reasoning for having it.

Last edited:

Klierslc

Explorer
For some I believe fear has a lot to do with the decision to carry a weapon or not. Heck simply read some of the responces in this thread. I would and will never argue that it's everyones reasoning, but discounting fear as a motive to have a weapon while in the back country would be naive thinking. Certainly there are those whom carry because they are fearful of others or the possibility of bad circumstance, that goes without question.

Weapons are tools, and like all tools not everyone has the capcity to use them effectively. I think the typical arguments for and against weapons are quite nonsensical. The choice should be an entirely personal one. People who blindly suggest that others would be better served by having a weapon are missing a critical link with the reasoning for having it.

You may be right, but for those who consider a weapon a tool, fear is not a motivation.

For instance, I carry a spare tire not because I am fearful of getting a flat, but because flats happen and I don't want to be stranded. I agree that carrying weapons should be a personal choice, but it should be an informed choice.

In pint's situation, if he had a pistol, he would still be afraid, (as would I) but he would have a means to respond in kind to any threat. Having a weapon doesn't make one immune to fear, it simply increases your odds of survival.

Another reason that hasn't come up much is the emergency utility of a firearm. You fall and break your leg. You can signal for help. You can fend off critters who come to eat you and then eat them if you are running low on food. In a pinch you could use it on yourself before being eaten alive by a pack of wolves........or squirrels......or fire ants..

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've never been a gun owner until a couple years ago. When in the back country of CO I'm always weary of bears, mountain lions, etc. However, as has been mentioned, it's the 2 legged kind that usually cause the problems. 3 or 4 years ago my wife, 3 kids and I were primitive camping in the middle of nowhere...6-7 miles from anyone. About 11:30 at night after the kids were in bed this Jeep with monster tires, about 8 bright lights and tunes cranked comes flying up the trail towards camp. My wife and I were enjoying the peace and quiet, the stars and a nice fire. The Jeep rolls into our camp and out jump these 2 ********** hillbillies just drunk *** h#ll. They start giving us a hard time, asking us what we were doing out here all alone, circling around us with beers in hand telling my wife she had a nice @ss, etc. I had no real weapon...a shovel, an axe, but no real weapon. I felt helpless and really thought they were going to do something stupid that I might not be able to prevent. My kids woke up due to the noise and one guy told them to shut up. I noticed one of them had a large Rambo knife on his belt and the other had a holster that looked like a pistol However, it was dark and I wasn't asking questions. After about 10 minutes another truck was coming in the distance. They quickly jumped in their rig and took off never to be seen again. I didn't sleep a wink all night! The next week I bought a Glock 21 .45 caliber. I never go into the back country without it now. There is no way I will ever feel as helpless to defend my family as I did that night...hopefully I'll never need to use it.
That is a terrible story. I'm so glad it turned out as it did. My fear, should I be in that spot with a weapon, is that I would attempt to defuse the situation with the gun, things would go bad, someone would get shot, and THEN the other truck would roll up the road to be witness to a killing and not just a couple fools causing trouble. At least with your scenario, no one was killed.

S

Street Wolf

It's absolute stupidity to not carry a weapon and know when not to use it, when to use it, and how to use it when you do. Especially when you're putting yourself in a situation where you're going to be the only person capable of defending yourself.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Sometimes I bring my Browning Hi Power. And sometimes I bring a Big Stick! And sometimes both.

Depends on what mood I'm in.

I've been looking at shotguns lately. Thinking of adding to the arsenal.

Protection in the outback, is a good thing. Especially if you travel alone. And Especially if you bring your Family as mentioned above by "pint"....!

That's the best post yet!

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
It's absolute stupidity to not carry a weapon and know when not to use it, when to use it, and how to use it when you do. Especially when you're putting yourself in a situation where you're going to be the only person capable of defending yourself.

So those who choose not to carry a weapon are stupid?

Stupid is trying to validate an argument with strong language while alienating the people you hope to convince. And if the posturing isn't aimed at others offering an alternate view then it's simply a display of unwarranted importance and overbearing pride. This can be said of anyone making grandiose statements either for or against weapons while camping. Perhaps this thread has run its course.

S

Street Wolf

So those who choose not to carry a weapon are stupid?

Stupid is trying to validate an argument with strong language while alienating the people you hope to convince. And if the posturing isn't aimed at others offering an alternate view then it's simply a display of unwarranted importance and overbearing pride. This can be said of anyone making grandiose statements either for or against weapons while camping. Perhaps this thread has run its course.

Alright, you're right. The correct term to use would of been 'ignorant moron'.

On top of that, I'm not trying to convince anyone to carry a weapon. I could really care less if they choose not to.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
And while it's not simple, getting a license (PAL) in Canada for an American is possible, just tedious.

I had a funny telephone conversation after I applied, with a representative of the firearms licensing folks (in Nova Scotia?)....the application asks if I owned any prohibited firearms (in Canada that starts out with any handgun with a barrel less than 4" long)....Why, yes: I do (like my Glock 30's)....

"You can't have those in Canada" he says.

"Yes, I know. I keep them in the US because of that, along with most of the rest of my firearms".

"You're not going to bring them to Canada?"

"No. That would be unlawful, wouldn't it?"

"Thanks very much, have a good day, eh?"

"Thanks, you too!"

I got the card a week later in the mail.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
By all means, firearms should be kept out of the hands of young children.

I also don't like toy guns - water pistols and the like. Some of them are quite realistic (I actually carried one as my 'sidearm' during National Guard annual training one year - rather than risk losing it) and asking an 8 year old kid to discriminate between real and fake is unreasonable (but then, thats the kind of nonsense we've come to expect from Dr. Kellerman). Imagine, locking up a couple of kids in a room with drawers, with who knows what other stimulation for 15 minutes and guess what will happen? What would happen in a room with a TV or playstation, books, toys, magazines? Or, if the kids were alone? But, Dr. Kellerman is known for stacking the deck.

On the other hand, 'safely' locking up firearms can result in tragedy: Google Jessica Carpenter and Merced - a 14 year old girl that had been trained to safely handle firearms. She was responsible for her siblings while the parents were away, and the family firearms were legally, and safely locked up.

A pitchfork-wielding mutant broke in after cutting the phone lines, and proceeded to start stabbing the kids in their beds. Jessica tried to call 9-1-1, the statist clown's answer for this situation, but the lines were cut. She tried to get to the families guns, but they were locked up in accordance with California's laws. She ran next door and asked the neighbor not to call 9-1-1 (since her siblings were ALREADY being killed), she asked that the neighbor get HIS gun and kill the guy.

After all, when you have only seconds to live, dial 9-1-1: The police are only MINUTES away.

William and Ashley Carpenter were dead. Anna was wounded, but survived.

The State of California put Mr. Carpenter into an untenable situation. He could leave the tools available for his qualified family members to defend themselves and each other....or he could go to jail. Thanks to the California legislators desire to prevent people from defending themselves.

I wonder how Mr. Carpenter feels about his 'lawful' choice today?

It KILLS me to hear stories like that. I hate to say it but.... there are a million laws out there, including California's retarted law telling homeowners they have to have locked up guns. Why do people think they have to abide by every written law of the land? Whatever happened to personal responsibility? To think the gub-ment will save you is absurd. I was a cop at one time,, and I can tell you, I don't depend on them for ******&T. Of course.. I live down a long dirt road, might have something to do with it.

Lost Canadian

Expedition Leader
Alright, you're right. The correct term to use would of been 'ignorant moron'.
I'm not going to dignify that with an appropriate response.

As I said, this thread has run its course. When the talk closes off and becomes a back and forth of absolutes there is nothing to be gained by discussing it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk