Do you feel the need to have a weapon when camping

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
From what you guys are saying it sounds to me like the U.S.A. is a very violent place. Mutants putting pitch forks through children, yahoos circling the camp threatening with weapons. If I was camping in the U.S. I'd consider carrying a gun. On second thought, maybe I'll just avoid the U.S. altogether since it is so violent. No need to subject my family to the spectre of constant fear from unknowns. There is plenty of stuff up here to see till I can't travel any more.

I don't need a gun to feel safe in Canada. If I was in a soft sided camper in big bear or cat country I'd likely have a rifle relatively handy but beyond that there is no need for a gun unless I'm explicitly out hunting.

Right. Like Canada didn't have that mutant Pickton in BC who was killing and burying girls on his hog farm (he confessed that he had killed 49 and wanted to kill 1 more to make it an even 50, was convicted of only 6), or Homolka, who went on a killing spree with her husband Bernardo, or that cop who got shot last week in S. Ontario (by an illegally transported rifle) or the other cop in Ottawa around the first of the year who was sitting in his car at the General (Hospital) and was stabbed to death .... by a suspended but not fired member of the RCMP... to name just a few recent cases; and I could go on. Oh, lets not forget the Montreal shooter (Wiki has three different events called the "Montreal Shooting", it's a dangerous town) - Marc Lepine (aka Gamil Rodrigue Liass Gharbi) takes a mini-14 to school and kills 14 women - because he didn't approve of women in 'mens jobs'. Canada has no lack of mutants.

Humans have a God-given right to defend themselves against those who wish to do us ill. The difference is that in the United States we have a Constitutional guarantee that the state can't take that right away from us: Canada has nothing like it (in fact, self defense is specifically NOT a reason you can get a gun in Canada, and there is no provision for CCW).

Need help? Dial 9-1-1. BTW, that cop in S. Ontario was on his way to a domestic violence call when he decided (for whatever reason) to pull over another vehicle. What if some mutant had been trying to kill the caller? Did anyone ever show up to that call?

Last edited:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
There goes another fuzzy grenade.

I thought we were talking about camping - not looking for trouble in the seedier bits of Van (Pickton). The other scenarios you mention wouldn't be solved with CCW either. Look at what having a weapon handy did for that cop that was stabbed to death in Ottawa. Not a damn thing.

Bad **** happens, particularly in higher population centers. That is the truth. But there is not a boogey man out to murder you behind every tree in the woods.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
From what you guys are saying it sounds to me like the U.S.A. is a very violent place. Mutants putting pitch forks through children, yahoos circling the camp threatening with weapons. If I was camping in the U.S. I'd consider carrying a gun. On second thought, maybe I'll just avoid the U.S. altogether since it is so violent. No need to subject my family to the spectre of constant fear from unknowns. There is plenty of stuff up here to see till I can't travel any more.

That pretty much sums up the United States of America.

We would love you to come to the US... and spend some money!

You know I was just be facetious. :) Or are you luring me down to take my money at gun point? LOL

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
To an extent.

As far as Dakar goes, an AK-47 slung with insouciance over your back is always en vogue.
Thanks for answering that. I always wondered if guys who felt so strongly about being armed just never left the security of their weapons, and the safety of the US, or just took on the "added risk" of not being armed in other countries.

For what it's worth, I've been to Dakar twice. Both times, the only thing slung over my shoulder was a Timbuk2 bag. :)

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Humans have a God-given right to defend themselves against those who wish to do us ill. The difference is that in the United States we have a Constitutional guarantee that the state can't take that right away from us: Canada has nothing like it (in fact, self defense is specifically NOT a reason you can get a gun in Canada, and there is no provision for CCW).

For the record, I have no problems whatsoever with guns. I've handled guns, was on a shooting team, etc., etc. They are just tools. I don't bring a welder to fix wooden gazebo.

Buy as many as you want. Go to the range 7 days a week; have fun. As long as they are properly stored "fill yer boots" if that is what you are into.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
There goes another fuzzy grenade.

I thought we were talking about camping - not looking for trouble in the seedier bits of Van (Pickton). The other scenarios you mention wouldn't be solved with CCW either. Look at what having a weapon handy did for that cop that was stabbed to death in Ottawa. Not a damn thing.

Bad **** happens, particularly in higher population centers. That is the truth. But there is not a boogey man out to murder you behind every tree in the woods.

So, the 49 hookers in Van shouldn't have been there? The 3 that Homolka/Bernardo killed were just crap happening? The 14 Women in Motreal had it coming for being in an engineering class? The guy who killed the cop in Ottawa (and articulated that he was going over to Tims to kill someone else) didn't mean it? BTW, sitting in a patrol car is NOT having a firearm handy - try getting a wallet out of your rear pocket, a handgun isn't quite that easy because of the weapons retention design of the holster.

You can depend on the state to defend you (and that works really well, in the US, in Canada, in Armenia, in Russia, in Georgia.....Rwanda, Sudan, Kosovo) or you can take steps to protect yourself. Your choice.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I never carry a weapon, well perhaps a knife but defence is not why I carry it. I've never felt fearful without a weapon and I am totally comfortable being out there by myself, or with others, without weapons. Personally I have more faith in my ability to use the gray matter between my ears than I do in my ability to wield a weapon effectively so I don't find them to be well adapted to me. I don't object to responsible individuals having weapons and I am totally comfortable around those who respect them, but I fully admit to being somewhat skittish around the Rambo/John Wayne types who would put more faith in their weapons as a means of defence then they have in their own cognitive capacities to facilitate an outcome without violence.

"Cognitive capacities" are not enough to "facilitate an outcome without violence" if someone/something intends to harm you and yours, especially in the back country far, far away from LE or help.

Big brains and debating skills dont impress those with small primitive brains and mayhem on the mind, 2 or 4 legged.

Trust someone who has seen violence on a massive scale - you can't talk your way out of violence if that's a strangers intent.

If anything a real psycho will get off on your attempt to reason with them once they know you are unarmed... and will most likely move on once they realize you are a hard target.

Last edited:

93BLAZER

Explorer
"Cognitive capacities" are not enough to "facilitate an outcome without violence" if someone/something intends to harm you and yours, especially in the back country far, far away from LE or help.

Big brains and debating skills dont impress those with small primitive brains and mayhem on the mind, 2 or 4 legged.

Trust someone who has seen violence on a massive scale - you can't talk your way out of violence if that's a strangers intent.

If anything a real psycho will get off on your attempt to reason with them once they know you are unarmed... and will most likely move on once they realize you are a hard target.

That's great and all, but will that hold up in a court of law when I have to explain to the jury why I just shot and killed 2 mutants who have (or had) small primitive brains with diminished "Cognitive capacities"?

Expedition Key

Adventurer
Whoa... 160 posts today!!!, It's going to take me some time to read through them all. Thanks for all the input guys, I hope everyone played nice.

Kye

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
"It's just not practical to swing into Dakar with a Colt on your hip and it's fair to say some of these destinations are far more risky than your local wooded hollow.

Do you just not go to those places?"

1/2 the people posting on the portal do'nt even have a passport, the other half that do -80% did their travel with the military

That leaves a small fraction of our population that actually globally travel ...........

There is no way to overland with firearms.......unless your travels only

involve North America.

Outside in the big scary world,
you would be lucky to have a knife as their even illegal to carry on the street in some countries and your best weapon

is usually a smile:)

The machete should only be used for decapitating coconuts

baca327

Adventurer

Very well put. While I'm at it camping .40 on the hip and 12g next to me. Firearms save lives and so do CCW check this out scroll all they way down to Aug 26th
http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/category/nm/page/2/

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
That leaves a small fraction of our population that actually globally travel ...........

There is no way to overland with firearms.......
I'm lucky enough to have family in some exotic (and sometimes dangerous) locals that provide weapons when we visit.
Car-jackings and armed banditos are sad realities in many places.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online