Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Chip Haven did some research to see what it would cost to build my truck and camper from scratch today - my how the time and dollars have flown by ;)

The best part of this is that I paid CASH for all my mods and gear - no credit cards were maxed out during this build! :D

Here is the thread:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47207

In the Summer 2010 Overland Journal, there's an article about a well-equipped camper owned by forum member Tacodoc. The truck has many upgrades that make it more capable off-road. The camper is an Adventure Trailers Flip-Pac, tailored to meet Tacodoc's needs. The result is a go-anywhere adventure travel vehicle with enough creature comforts and conveniences to make a trip of several weeks a pleasure. And the truck just looks cool!

tacodoc-tacoma-1.jpg

Read about the truck build here (1300+ posts)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521

Read about the Flip-Pac installation here
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34407

The OJ article has a list of the major components used to customize the vehicle. What's missing is how much the project cost to complete.

So I did a little searching online. My cost estimate to duplicate Tacodoc's vehicle today: $56,207.
The summary is below. The details appear at the end of this post.

Comments and corrections, please!

Chip Haven

1. 2011 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 double cab 4x4 ... $31,000

2. Modifications to truck ... $8477

3. Flip-Pac Camper and camping equipment ... $7011

4. Taxes on the above ... $3719 (8% sales tax)

4. Labor to assemble ... $6000 (60 hours, $100 an hour)

5. Total ($31,000 + $8477 + $7011 + $3719 + $6000) = $56,207

-----------------------------------------

Modifications to truck total $8477

Nitro 4.88 gears $200 front, $240 rear $440
Donahoe 2.5 inch adjustable coil-over shocks $1050
OME Dakar leaf springs $400
OME N182 rear shocks $360
BF Goodrich 255/85 R16 MT/KM tires (185 x 5) $925
ARB bull bar $856
CBI high clearance rear bumper w/ tire carrier $1600 wild guess
Bentup square tube sliders $300
Warn M8000 winch $760
ARB Bushranger X-Jack inflatable jack $200
IPF 968 driving lights (2 @ 125) $250
TRD Sport hood and grille $600 wild guess
Safari Snorkel SS135HF $305
Hella air horns $45
Cobra 75-WX-ST CB radio $96
Wilson Trucker 5000 antenna $50
Console vault $240

-----------------------------

Camper and camping equipment $7011

Adventure Trailers Flip-Pac camper w/ LED $4460
color match paint $600
Odyssey 1700 MJT battery $350
Engle MT45 refrigerator $800
National Luna Power pack w batt monitor $520
Blue Sea fuse block, 6 circuits $36
Sound deadening Edead and Fatmat $125 estimate
2.5 lb ABC fire extinguisher and bracket $50
portable toilet $70 estimate

not included:
shelving made of carpeted plywood
storage boxes to organize gear

Last edited:

Caduceus

Adventurer
I know this thread is nearly 5 years old.. (congats on that!).

What do you keep in the ammo can on the back bumper? I have a couple sitting around, and see some folks with them, but can't really fathom why. All my tools are in the rack behind my back seats. Everything else I can think of is too big.

Thanks!

PHXtaco

Adventurer

What do you keep in the ammo can on the back bumper? I have a couple sitting around, and see some folks with them, but can't really fathom why. All my tools are in the rack behind my back seats. Everything else I can think of is too big.

Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing when I got to see his rig in person. While "sniffing" around the ammo can TacoDoc asked if I knew what it was for. I said no, and he informed me it was for used wag bags!!! After that it quelled my curiosity! :eek:

Caduceus

Adventurer
I was wondering the same thing when I got to see his rig in person. While "sniffing" around the ammo can TacoDoc asked if I knew what it was for. I said no, and he informed me it was for used wag bags!!! After that it quelled my curiosity! :eek:

Hmmm... I think would have just buried that!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Yes, used wag bags or other "trash" that I don't want to risk a spill with... it's nice to have onboard biohazard transport capability.

meafordmike

Adventurer
If I ever have to get another truck..this is exactly what I am going to buy!!!

Thank you.
It’s my dream truck also. I tried to buy in 1994 but couldn't afford it, so I drove a Trecel for 14years and saved my pennies. After many overseas tours and 14 years driving a Trecel I could finally afford it in 2008.
Mike

fourfa

Observer

Thanks!

I carry two - one has an outboard air compressor and hoses, surrounded by medium density foam. Second contains all the recovery chains and such. In my case both are just the right size to fit forward of the wheel wells in the bed, either side of the mattress down the middle

Flagster

Expedition Leader
thanks...
I have an early 2005 that I am considering starting a build on and figure I will fix any problems (rear end/motor mount rot) when it appears...too emotionally attached to the truck to get rid of it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven