Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Cataylytic converter and MAF failure

Both catalytic converters and the MAF replaced under warranty at 80,000 miles, details here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51111

*Edit: It was covered under warranty.

2 new cats gets you complete new exhaust manifolds on both sides!

The "Exhaust Ticking Noise" TSB EG021-06 that I had requested the dealership to address, and that they denied, seems to have been done in a roundabout way...

They denied the TSB but ended up replacing these assemblies anyway! Nobody even realized the connection of these two issues which is kinda funny in retrospect.

All 2005+ Toyota Tacoma TSB info is here:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tacoma/127749-2005-technical-service-bulletins/

Applicable Warranty*:
The Remove & Reinstall (R & R) of the Exhaust Manifold (P/N 17140–0P010 and 17150–0P010) due to the attached Catalytic Converter, is covered under the Toyota Federal Emissions Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 96 months or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in–service date.
* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Here is a link to what I purchased:
http://www.stoprust.net/POR-15-Mix-Pack-BLACKCOTE-p-30.html

I am using the POR-15 as a base coat with the Chassis Black as the top coat. I am using Marine Clean and Metal Ready for prep, although the Metal Ready is really only necessary for bad rust/bare metal IMO. Gloves, mask, and a few cheap small brushes and small disposable rollers with a small tray from the local hardware store and you are GTG.

BTW, the 4ox cans are quite small but the beauty of that is that it allows you to do individual sections with minimum waste of paint. It also makes it really easy to manage :)

I think I can hit up the sliders and most of the frame with this six pack, two six packs is PLENTY to do the entire frame and all.

TacoDoc,
When you treated your frame with POR15...how much "extras" did you strip off the frame to access and cover properly...
I just ordered some multipacks with the Marine Clean and Metal prep and am wondering how much access I need to do a thorough job...
Thanks

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

TacoDoc,
When you treated your frame with POR15...how much "extras" did you strip off the frame to access and cover properly...
I just ordered some multipacks with the Marine Clean and Metal prep and am wondering how much access I need to do a thorough job...
Thanks

No extras, just hit every part that I could reach.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Yesterday I finished mounting the Viair 400c in the FlipPac and wired the relay, fed the wire up to the cab. Next up is the switch and the air hose/bulkhead fitting at the rear bumper.

Then I rotated the tires, pulled the drums and inspected the rear brakes and verified about 50% remaining on the shoes at 80k which aint bad. I also installed a complete set of new lug nuts with longer shanks - the OEM ones are short shank and get beat up quite easily with air tools during regular tire rotations and can get so badly beat up that you can't get a socket on them... this could be potentially disastrous if you were in a remote area with no AAA to call. The longer shank style has more to grab so they are the way to go. Typically they are $5-$8 EACH if you buy them at a parts house but I found a full set of 24 from a fellow Portal member for $40 ;)

Changed the oil and re-installed the snorkel connection that was removed for recent service.

NOTE: During the tire rotation I had a time getting the X-Jack to provide the right lift in the right place... enough that I have remounted the Hi-Lift on the rear bumper and will be carrying them both from now on. The X-Jack is great but IMO just does not go high enough for my needs and I could see situations off road where that could be a show stopper so I will carry both just in case. Yes Matt, I took your advice :)

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I think that's great Doc. :victory: It's amazing what careful, conservative driving can do to help preserve your vehicle. I still have the factory brakes on my '96 F350 (only has 126k original miles), and I have lots of meat remaining on the pads on my 4Runner at 50k. It would be great if I'm able to squeeze 100k out of the Toyota brakes on the Distance Runner. :smiley_drive:

Did you already need to replace the front disc pads on your Tacoma?

snip...

Then I rotated the tires, pulled the drums and inspected the rear brakes and verified about 50% remaining on the shoes at 80k which aint bad.

snip...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Did you already need to replace the front disc pads on your Tacoma?

Yes, I replaced them and turned the rotors at 60K with about 30% left on the pads in OCT09. On my old 88 4Runner I ran a set of pads a couple weeks too long once and destroyed a rotor so I'm keenly aware of caring for them now.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Viair 400C Installed!

Got it all wired up, now to run the air line and bulkhead fitting and I'm done! As you can see, I'm leaving plenty of airspace around it there in the systems compartment and still have room for future additions or storage. It's amazing how much storage room I have now with the FP.

100_3210.jpg

Remote on/off switch for the compressor at the drivers door, bulkhead fitting will be on rear bumper most likely. No more opening the hood and connecting stuff to air up - just plug in the coil hose and turn it on!

100_3207.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Frontrunner Footwell Water Tank

Front Runner Footwell 40L Water Tank! (Link)

Here is OverlandHadley's setup, I think this would work nicely for my setup as well. 10 gallons of water carried low and near the center of the vehicle :ylsmoke:

78740687.jpg

He got it from Paul at Equipt

Thanks for being the guinea pig Nathan!

aires35

Adventurer
Doc, I think you have a great starting point for you with your 05. However, I really like the RPK, Well, except when they were pointed at me. Anyways, welcome Doc, and remember "If you ain't CAV you ain't Sh@#". Glad to have ya here, Semper Fi. Tu Compadres, Suty. 3/2 Cav

Hey Killer! That's YATYAS!!!! Gotta represent all one of us Amtrakkers out here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven