Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Enter the Kenwood Excelon KDC-994: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113KDCX994/Kenwood-Excelon-KDC-X994.html?tp=5684

100_3020.jpg

The iPod gets tucked away on a charging cable via USB, all iPod controls work flawlessly via the Kenwood "click wheel" or the OEM steering wheel audio controls. Blutooth works with the iPhone 3GS perfectly, tiny mic is installed on the steering column and the stereo speakers are used for phone audio. Display has several visual options other than the one shown, and colored lighting can be adjusted to match your OEM dash lighting or to your tastes. Crutchfield includes detailed instructions as well as the free dash kit (shown) and wiring harness for plug and play. Faceplate is non-motorized (less to break IMO) and is removable for anti-theft (it goes in my console vault), when the faceplate is out a red light flashes letting crackheads know that it is not worth their time and there is also a security code feature so it wont work if stolen once you set it. The Excelon line also has a 2 year warranty which is rare nowadays on electronics.

Very nice deck for only $299 shipped. Next up will be a newer GPS, but the old Magellan still works great for me.

100_3022.jpg

100_3016.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Nice deck, Doc!

I am currently looking for a replacement for my DVD player, which never gets used in my truck. This unit is now on the list.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Looks good Dave. Now put some thermo-nuclear bass things in the Flip-Pac for the full in-yo-face effect. :sombrero:

gfiero

Adventurer
Question

I am considering the At Flip Pac which would replace the current shell, my concern is with dust intrusion. How do you seal yours? It also looks as though bed is spreading at the top.

Thanks

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I am considering the At Flip Pac which would replace the current shell, my concern is with dust intrusion. How do you seal yours? It also looks as though bed is spreading at the top.

Thanks

The bottom line with shells and dust intrusion is that no matter how good a job you do, some will always get in due to flex and other factors but you learn to live with it, I keep out about 98% of the dust so I don't stress over it.

For mine I used weather seal and some RTV in key places; The full build on the FlipPac is here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34407

My bed is not spreading, I still have factory spec gaps at the tailgate. Not sure what you're looking at.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
The GPS being there doesn't bother you? I've been looking at several ideas for mounting mine and think I'm going to order a Pro-Fit to get it out of the way of the dash knobs.
http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/toyota

It was fine on a recent 1,200 mile roadtrip to WA, I just modified my old homemade mount about 15 minutes before we left on the trip so it was good enough. I would actually prefer it at that same height but offset towards the passenger side just enough so i can see the clock and those HVAC controls clearly.

That mount you posted the link to is nice, I may consider it but it looks a bit low for me... then again, I could fab something like this in about 20 minutes and save the ca$h for real needs ;)

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/TY-72-05-L.pdf

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Does the deck interface with the steering wheel controls?

Yes, but that mod requires the PAC-SWI-X steering wheel control interface to work. I had it already installed from my previous Kenwood deck so when I upgraded to this one it was plug and play.

Bluetooth and iPod can all be controlled with the OEM steering wheel controls now :)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Sears Die Hard Platinum P5

Catching up on some "back burner" projects... I just installed a brand new Sears Die Hard Platinum P5 battery up front and ordered a Blue Sea negative bus 12 circuit fuse block to finish the job under the hood ;)

The heavier (60 lbs!) Odyssey PCT 1700 MJT battery is being transferred to the National Luna power pack that lives in the FlipPac :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven