Doc's AT FlipPac Build Thread

Frostymug

Observer
I don’t surf but I plan to carry a canoe on top of my soon to be ordered FlipPac.

Any type of full length fixed rack would have to have a very low profile in order to avoid hitting the cab roof when the FlipPac is flipped open. Even if a rack would fit you’d still have to unload it to open the FlipPac. And there is the weight issue, which Mario had already identified. The fixed rack that Vince installed looks to be too short to carry surfboards.

For my canoe I plan to use the Yakima Track system. 60” long tracks (P/N 8001135) would be permanently attached to the FlipPac roof, these tracks are only ½” thick. Control Towers (P/N 8000214) attach to the track. The towers and crossbars can be removed in seconds.

I don’t know how much a quiver of boards weighs but with the Yakima system it might be possible for two guys to remove the entire rack, with surfboards attached, in just a minute or two?

What about removing the windows for a pass-through between the FlipPac and cab. This would allow inside storage of boards without having to carry them diagonally in the FlipPac.

Either way you still have to unload the boards to use the FlipPac.

Cliff

JamesDowning

Explorer
If you rotate the roof with any additional load on it, i.e. roof racks, surfboards etc, you will be adding additional stress on the torsion rod spring that can lead to premature failure.

I was thinking it worked similar to a garage door weight-assist spring. In that circumstance, if you add more weight to the garage door (and do not adjust the spring pre-load), it does not add stress to the spring. The spring operates over the same deflection range and outputs the same assist-torque over that range no matter the weight of the door. Thus the motor (or human) has to output more force.

Your assist spring must work differently than I expected. Carry on.

Super Doody

Explorer
If you rotate the roof with any additional load on it, i.e. roof racks, surfboards etc, you will be adding additional stress on the torsion rod spring that can lead to premature failure.

I surf, we have two dogs, and I like to bring along the longboard so I can surf in any condition. I think the FlipPac will work well for my application and budget.

What if you just add a set of Yakima towers and cross bars and unload surfboards or whatever the load is before opening the FlipPac.

L_vince05_05.jpg

VikingVince

Explorer
I surf, we have two dogs, and I like to bring along the longboard so I can surf in any condition. I think the FlipPac will work well for my application and budget.

What if you just add a set of Yakima towers and cross bars and unload surfboards or whatever the load is before opening the FlipPac.

L_vince05_05.jpg

A set of Yakima towers and cross bars is exactly what I would do if I were to do mine over...what I should have done instead of the rack in the pic (what I said above). I think that's the way to go!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Has anyone thought about or tried mounting a board or other item to the sides of the FlipPac?

Mario has some nice utility tracks mounted that he uses to hang Thule "binto box" type bags from for kitchen and other uses.

One could easily mount Maxtrax or other items as well as long as you sandwich the mounts and spread the load.

I plan something similar eventually.

Last edited:

SafariPacific

Adventurer
It's true that Viking Vince has added a rack. SafariPacific has mounted Maxtrax on top of his as well. The problem is, and both will tell you, their tops are now difficult to open due to the additional weight. The stresses of additional weight are multiplied along the length of the lid, basis physics. The torsion bar spring rate is designed to assist with the lifting of the lid weight, not more than that. Additional weight added to the top may lead to premature failure of the torsion bar. For this reason we advise against adding anything to the lid and cannot warranty any top that has anything mounted to it.

I'm a little late to the discussion, though I've been out of the country. Anyhow, Mario is correct. I have subsequently moved the Maxtrax from the FlipPac roof to the inside. Though I still have the quickfists in place as an option to toss the Maxtrax on the roof if I get them muddy. But that's just temporary and while the lid is closed. Long story short, I don't recommend putting anything up on top of the FlipPac.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I'm seeing some wear on the tailgate paint due to the molding on the bottom of the FP rear window rubbing the tailgate. Looks like I could use some of that clear 3M vinyl or "speed tape"...

Anyone have a source for this type of product for tailgate protection???

*edit* I looked into the 3M products but looking online was like falling into a rabbit hole... anyone who has a source for this protective film please let me know via PM!!!

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
racers call what you're looking for "helicopter tape" (because it was made to keep rock digs out of the leading edges of composite helicopter rotors). A qwik search of Pegasus shows three options.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3155

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3323

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3437-001

Generic description (lifted from first link):
"This special impact absorbing tape protects the leading edges of wings, suspension pieces, air dams and noses. It has high adhesive strength and is pliable enough to conform to slightly compound curves. Sand, gravel and small stones that would quickly remove the best paint from these exposed surfaces just bounces off this very tough leading edge tape."

I ordered some of this 2 inch tape from Pegasus Racing in black, 11 mil thickness. That should do the job :costumed-smiley-007

Last edited:

WASURF63

Adventurer
Thanks for the link Doc. I'm having the same paint wear issue on the tailgate from the FP rear hatch as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk