Don't flame... BUT is the Wrangler the new Defender for the U.S. ???

fishEH

Explorer
Is this Matt Scott posting under a phoney name? :D
Jeeps are very capable, and they frickin should be for their price tag. The JKU(or whatever weird letter combination they're on now) just doesn't do it for me. I look at it and say "meh". Lifted Jeeps are a dime a dozen. Every middle age guy, soccer mom, and teenage girl has one and has all kinds of JC Whitney bolted on "kit". Some of the stuff is downright laughable how poorly thought out and designed it is. To me the Jeep has no "soul".

All of this talk is pointless though because I here the next incarnation of the Wrangler will be an IFS truck anyway.

2005PW

Observer
Defenders are not unicorns. If you want one, there are dozens of them for sale on any given day. Whether you have the motivation to actually commit to owning one or not is a different story, one that may not be fully written until after you've bought and owned one for a year plus.

I own neither. But like both (and Land Cruisers too). Regarding the Defender, why the commitment of owning one for a year? Is the Defender a harsh riding / rustic 4x4 or does it require a lot of maintenance?

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I own neither. But like both (and Land Cruisers too). Regarding the Defender, why the commitment of owning one for a year? Is the Defender a harsh riding / rustic 4x4 or does it require a lot of maintenance?

Yes.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
I owned a TJ prior to a DII and now RRS. The only thing that I miss - and truthfully the only reason why a nice black JKU rubi with a trektop will be a future consideration as used prices drop - is going topless. The DII was more capable with a smaller lift and a little more comfortable. The RRS is not quite as capable yet since I've done nothing to it, but is approximately 10,000,000x as comfortable.

I couldn't tow anything with the TJ, but the JKU is marginally better....still not quite the cargo capacity as the RRS.

That all said, I would buy a D110 tomorrow (hell I would "settle" for a D90) if they weren't absurdly priced stateside. A buddy just swapped his '94 D90 with 125k (not a '97 with 10k....a '94!!) straight up for a '13 JKU rubi with 13k. Completely absurd. Helluva investment I guess.

Eniam17

Adventurer
For most of the trails around me that are small, twisty, turny, narrow, etc. an LR3 can do anything a JKU can and it's way more comfortable driving there and back AND on the trail. Rock crawling in moab is a different story, but I think the JKU is over rated for a lot of common trail applications. I dont' hate them, just don't think they're that special. Especially for 50k for a Rubicon JKU with leather.

zelatore

Explorer
Which brings me to my continuing plea for LR to bring us the next gen Defender. Make it something that can go head to head with a Rubicon on technical terrain and is at least it's equal or a bit better on the highway and has greater payload/towing. Keep it priced within $5-7K of a Rubi and market the heck out of the 'original overland vehicle' and watch 'em fly out the door.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I would imagine that is what they will do, except it will still have 18" plus wheels and start at about $60k for an entry level model (not Rubicon ready)

dwvninety

Observer
The only one I'd drive -
9471091_orig.jpg

I thought you hate Jeeps?

libarata

Expedition Leader
Which brings me to my continuing plea for LR to bring us the next gen Defender. Make it something that can go head to head with a Rubicon on technical terrain and is at least it's equal or a bit better on the highway and has greater payload/towing. Keep it priced within $5-7K of a Rubi and market the heck out of the 'original overland vehicle' and watch 'em fly out the door.

Better start writing our masters to lessen the restriction on imported vehicles.

overlander

Expedition Leader
there will be quite a few Defenders at Expo East next month you can check out, including mine. Judge for yourself. One if my friends with a JK should be parked with me.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I do, but there's a fine line between disliking a brand, and respecting a design. Read the first line of the description.

http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/brute-double-cab

It's worth noting that there's very little 'Jeep' about anything AEV makes. Their stuff proved superior to the point that Chrysler themselves uses them to supply components of the factory Wrangler and sends them prototypes long before hitting the market. Anything off road oriented from FCA is likely influenced if not outright designed and engineered by AEV, from the Power Wagon to the JK platform.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven