DOT requirements

feradi

Hi guys, I’m planning to buy a truck camper in the near future and I was wondering if the DOT (Department of Transportation) has any regulation or requirements for pop-up truck campers? thanks for any help.

Photobug

Hi guys, I’m planning to buy a truck camper in the near future and I was wondering if the DOT (Department of Transportation) has any regulation or requirements for pop-up truck campers? thanks for any help.
I doubt it. A truck camper does not even require registration. The truck is the vehicle, a truck camper is just something strapped onto it. Your only requirement is tto ensure the Gross Weight is under the Trucks max. Even then I doubt you would get a ticket but if you get in an accident I am sure the police investigating it and your insurance company will be double checking the numbers to make sure you did not exceed the truck's capacity.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
In Tennessee you only pay sales tax on a slide in camper when purchased and take delivery within the State of TN. This is the same as with any other retail purchase in the State of Tennessee.

Tennessee treats a truck campers as CARGO therefore a slide in truck camper is not registered in Tennessee. Tennessee does NOT issue titles, register or require tags on slide in truck campers. Your local country clerk will not have a record of the truck camper because Tennessee does not register a truck camper.

The truck hauling the "Cargo Slide In Camper" must be registered, licensed and insured the same as any other road going vehicle in the State of Tennessee. Tennessee does require the registration of and issue titles to other types of towable RV's, trailers and powered Motorhomes.

Other states may also consider a Slide In Camper as Cargo and therefore not require registration. Check with your local DMV for laws in your state of residence.

Last edited:

feradi

Great info, thanks guys… I live in Georgia and I’ll stop by the DOT office early next year to double check.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179