E4OD 2wd adapter to T-case

gscott

And lastly; photos comparing the Ford OE 4wd tail housing extension to the Ford OE 2wd tail housing extension.

Attachments

• 4x4 adapter.jpg
    4x4 adapter.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 4x2 adapter.jpg
    4x2 adapter.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 8

gscott

Okay, now lastly. In case anyone wants to see what the Quigley part # Q7CR-0084 looks like:
(edit: I have seen this adapter referred to as part# QTTX-891 on a 1997 build sheet. I do not know why I was given the other number and have been told that Quigley calls Q7CR-0084 a 'spline adapter'.)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.png
    2.png
    277 KB · Views: 26
  • 3.png
    3.png
    297.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.png
    4.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
The speedometer info generally, in an older-ish setup comes from the driveshaft speed. In a 4x4 setup the data, electronically or mechanically, would be generated at the transfer case.

So find the hole for a sensor or a cable in the TC!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

CaptainBuilt

I've been chatting with GScott in PM's. Glad you put all this out there.

In the first pic, it shows the adapter is 5.5" long.

Worst case if anyone know how to weld, all you would have to do is weld two 1/2" round plates to a piece of DOM tubing and brace it. Boom, adapter.

I was confused that it replaced the tail housing all together. Now I see that it mates up to the 4WD extension housing.

This adapter can easily be made at home. I'm gonna try calling Quigley again to see if they will ship me one too.

gscott

The speedometer info generally, in an older-ish setup comes from the driveshaft speed. In a 4x4 setup the data, electronically or mechanically, would be generated at the transfer case. So find the hole for a sensor or a cable in the TC!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I figured out the Speedo cable will come from the T-Case. It looks like either using a transfer case that can fit the VSS, or finding a Ford 4wd tail housing that has a port in it for the VSS if I use an early T-Case that won't accommodate the VSS. It took me a while, but now I think I understand the speedo and VSS can use the same port on these years, the 89-91 E4 is the most primitive VSS, with a VSS and the mech. speedo cable. And looks like this on a 1990 Bronco:

BW1356 1990 Bronco.jpg

Lilnuts

Bumping an older thread. Does anyone know if you use the Quigley adapter doesn't that push the transfercase towards the rear more then if you used the ford 4x4 tailo section? On a van you have to shorten the gas tank to clear transfercase. If you use this adapter wouldn't you possibly have to cut the gas tank even more?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Bumping an older thread. Does anyone know if you use the Quigley adapter doesn't that push the transfercase towards the rear more then if you used the ford 4x4 tailo section? On a van you have to shorten the gas tank to clear transfercase. If you use this adapter wouldn't you possibly have to cut the gas tank even more?

Yes, the Q adapter pushes the t-case back far enough for a massive fuel tank cut. ~25G. And requires the relocation of the forward fuel tank mounting strap. Less than ideal.

turbodiesel

You may need to modify the transmission cross member with a cut out to accommodate the front driveshaft. At least I did.

gscott

I believe this only affects the Gen 4 van. Right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle