EricM's 2001 XJ Camping - Geocaching - Family Daily Driver

EricM

Standard American Mutt
SCORE!!

I was just poking around craigslist locally and came across a Garmin GPS Map 76, picked it up for $25.

Woot!

(I now have 4 GPS units, maybe it is time to stop..)

xjjeep4x4

[]||||||||[]
Nice looking XJ. I originally painted my trim pieces as well, but inevitably took the trim off and Herculined the sides. I love it.
Also, if you're still having those power window issues you should follow this write up. I had the same problem and it was very frustrating, but this solved the trick. Only thing is, you lose the ability to lock the windows. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-power-window-fix-w-pics-288655/
By the way, I sent you a PM regarding those Monroe shocks.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Nice looking XJ. I originally painted my trim pieces as well, but inevitably took the trim off and Herculined the sides. I love it.
Also, if you're still having those power window issues you should follow this write up. I had the same problem and it was very frustrating, but this solved the trick. Only thing is, you lose the ability to lock the windows. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/97-power-window-fix-w-pics-288655/
By the way, I sent you a PM regarding those Monroe shocks.

Thanks for this :)

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I replied to the PM, sorry I haven't been around much super busy at work and now my wife and I are shopping for a pop-up camper so that should be fun.

I checked out the write up, I may do that, I don't really need to lock out the window controls.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Well we got a pop-up I will post pictures of it here when I'm not on my iPad And at a computer.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
a9f1a136.jpg

here we are this weekend, our first outing in it. We will be in the smokey mountains this summer for two weeks.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
I got the brake controller in. Does the trailer need to be hooked up for the brake controller light to come on when you apply the brake? I hope that is the case.

Last edited:

EricM

Standard American Mutt
Yup, the light only comes on when the trailer is plugged in. I found a better spot for the ground under the Jeep and now all the lights are brighter.

I had some trouble finding the correct wire to tap for the brake signal, so I will write it out here and maybe google will find it for others who are looking as well.

This is for a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Trailer brake controller brake pedal switch cold wire, that is the wire that is activated when you push the brake. The wire color is white with a tan/brown stripe.

Also, make sure everything is grounded well. I had some erratic trailer brake light blinking issue that was cleared up when the trailer and the Jeep had a common ground.

EricM

Standard American Mutt
(below) here is the controller mounted in the Jeep, up high were i can see it.
01ef137a.jpg

(below) here is the controller hooked into the battery with a 20amp fuse. The jeep wirering is too thin for the current the brakes need.
408bc593.jpg

(below) I zip tied the wire to the loom in the engine bay. you can see the white wire clearly.
931381ed.jpg

(below) I just put the wires through the hole in the firewall, pushed in around the grommet.
570df946.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Hey man, glad to see the trailer brake controller installed... one thing however. Whey you pushed that wire through the firewall around the grommet, it is now sitting against bare metal? It is going to wear through and short out or worse. I used a screwdriver and popped a small hole in that same rubber grommet and ran the wires through there for my Stereo, lights, etc. Rubber seals it from water and protects it from rubbing against the firewall steel.

Will be a quick fix and will save a lot of fuses and no brakes at the worst time! Other than that, thumbs up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3