Exped Storage Boxes

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I was looking at the Yeti. The debate is between that or an Engel.

BUT to keep with the topic, I was thinking only along the lines of dry food like snacks, bread, peanut butter etc...

99wj

Adventurer
yeah im pretty sure the pelican would survive, i once saw someone change a tire, by jacking, and putting a pelican case under one side of a rear axle, the case was fine except for some scratches. :) (i wouldn't recommend doing that with a front axle, could be way too heavy, with the engine)

dirty Bakers

Conservative
I have about 8 of these 27 gallon containers but, don't use them all at once. Bought at home depot for about $9 each. They are pretty sturdy and durable. Easily stackable and have holes at either ends to run tie down straps through. Lids snap in. Bottom of the containers and lid are ribbed

P7211066.JPG

I have three of these, one is heavy duty that hold all my tools for the trail Being a diesel mechanic its hard to leave things behind so it is full of the heavy stuff and it works out very well even it the AZ heat. The other two are yellow tops, one is my cooking equipment and the other is for everything else.

Stan the Man

Adventurer
I use 3 of these Roughneck bins. They are a size large, but the mediums work well too. I keep one for all of my fluids and most of my spare parts, another for my camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, pots/pans, stove, lanterns, etc.), and the third one is only for longer hauls with my dried food. Usually I can fit a weekend worth of food and my camping gear in one bin, but if my girlfriend goes with me I need to use the third bin. The last thing I carry is a 50qt cooler.

IMG_8154.jpg

I'll try to get a shot of all these bins in the back of my truck.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Plus the plastic on Pelican cases are thicker than the plastic on bear canisters. So I'm taking a guess that the Pelican case will survive a bear attack.

Remember, plastic bear canisters are for use by backpackers, and have been specifically designed to be bear RESISTANT for a period of time. Your storage cases are likely to be IN your car.

bears_car1a.jpg

back%20seat%20bear%20pic.jpg

Just google up a few pictures of what even a Black bear will do if it smells food or sees a cooler in a car:
http://wildobs.com/kathykeating/2008/7/30/what-a-bear-can-do-while-searching-for-food

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Remember, plastic bear canisters are for use by backpackers, and have been specifically designed to be bear RESISTANT for a period of time. Your storage cases are likely to be IN your car.

I was assuming the person at camp would pull the storage case containing the food out of the car. Along the same lines as pulling the backpacking bear canisters out of their backpack.

In developed campgrounds, I put all food, toothpaste, sunblock, etc into the provided bear proof lockers.

Bogo

Adventurer
I'm thinking of using my large Pelican Case (that I use to hold my scuba equipment) as my food bin.

Being airtight, would it be practical to use this as a food container in bear country? While it has two areas to lock it, a bear could get in it, but if it's airtight, will it know it's there?

Just trying to come up with better ideas than multiple bear cans that aren't airtight anyways.

I don't own a Yeti Cooler, but it seems their coolers are bear proof. Padlocks hold the cover closed.
http://www.yeticoolers.com/

Plus the plastic on Pelican cases are thicker than the plastic on bear canisters. So I'm taking a guess that the Pelican case will survive a bear attack.

For the general guidelines for bear proofing a container:
http://www.igbconline.org/html/container.html

My guess is a pelican case will survive until the bear undoes one of the catches. After that it's toast even if it is locked.

One thing to remember is bears learn and become accustomed to things in their environment. Those living near camp grounds and well traveled areas are much more likely to approach a vehicle. Also pray that the previous human visitors to the area camped in a bear smart way. If a bear found food in their trash or broke into their food supplies, expect a raid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy