Exped Storage Boxes

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I like those Wolf boxes but don't seem to be able to find them stateside. Even Slee (posted earlier in the thread) doesn't appear to have them on the site anymore.

Anyone know where they can be had?

The Wolf boxes are cool. I got a few from Slee when they still had them. The problem I see is the latches. They are super flimsy and are easily removed. They pretty much just fall off when you remove the lid. I would expect them to break or get lost with lots of use. I use mine for stuff I rarely need so I don't have to open them much.
They are really sturdy and stack-able.

Now back to the to morning tea.. :coffee:

gjackson

FRGS
The problem I see is the latches. They are super flimsy and are easily removed. They pretty much just fall off when you remove the lid. I would expect them to break or get lost with lots of use.

The latches are the weak point of the Wolf Boxes. There is a company in SA that makes alloy replacement latches which solves the breaking problem. When I picked mine up I got a bunch of extra latches.

cheers

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The latches are the weak point of the Wolf Boxes. There is a company in SA that makes alloy replacement latches which solves the breaking problem. When I picked mine up I got a bunch of extra latches.

cheers

I really like my Wolf boxes. I wish I could get my hands on some of those latches. I'm guessing "SA" means South Africa maybe? Guess I wont be getting them anytime soon..

Seeker

Adventurer
We need to buy a few and setup a mold and manufacturer (after improving the latches) and start making them here. There is a lack of quality boxes at the price point between Pelican cases and Walmart.

gjackson

FRGS
I'm guessing "SA" means South Africa maybe? Guess I wont be getting them anytime soon..

Yes, SA is South Africa. Should be RSA really . . .

Spike here on the Portal may be willing to send some of those latches over if enough people with interest got together. I'm regretting not picking up the alloy latches when I was there last. Spike?

cheers

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator

cnskate

Adventurer
I had one of those cheap ones and the hinge and the latches kept popping off. They're a bit flimsy and a box that size is fairly heavy when fully loaded.

I'd be game for a Wolf Box latch group buy.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
I started buying Pelican cases and Underwater Kinetic cases several years back for storage of just about everything from cloths to cooking equipment. While they are supremely rugged they are not as easy to access as flat top boxes. I find the hinged top to be a pain in the rear at times if something is sitting on top of it. I have begun to go back to cheap stackable boxes that I can simply lift the lid off a bit to reach in without having to unlock the case. I like the smaller pelican cases for things like electronics and personal items but for inside storage of larger items I will use cheaper stackables and for the rare occasion I store items on my roof rack I like the un-assuming look of old ammo cases, I would not invite theft by putting a big $$$$ Pelican case on my roof rack.

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
I'm thinking of using my large Pelican Case (that I use to hold my scuba equipment) as my food bin.

Being airtight, would it be practical to use this as a food container in bear country? While it has two areas to lock it, a bear could get in it, but if it's airtight, will it know it's there?

Just trying to come up with better ideas than multiple bear cans that aren't airtight anyways.

SunTzuNephew

Explorer
I'm thinking of using my large Pelican Case (that I use to hold my scuba equipment) as my food bin.

Being airtight, would it be practical to use this as a food container in bear country? While it has two areas to lock it, a bear could get in it, but if it's airtight, will it know it's there?

Just trying to come up with better ideas than multiple bear cans that aren't airtight anyways.

They'll smell the food odors transfered from handling it...and if a bear can rip apart a welded steel trash can, I doubt a pelican case will slow them down.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader

They'll smell the food odors transfered from handling it...and if a bear can rip apart a welded steel trash can, I doubt a pelican case will slow them down.

I don't own a Yeti Cooler, but it seems their coolers are bear proof. Padlocks hold the cover closed.
http://www.yeticoolers.com/

Plus the plastic on Pelican cases are thicker than the plastic on bear canisters. So I'm taking a guess that the Pelican case will survive a bear attack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy