Exped Storage Boxes

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
I have a couple of Pelican cases that I use and like. Haven't had any problems with stuff getting wet.:smiley_drive:

GhostRing

Observer
Hey all,
I'm currently trying to get a small pile of Pelican cases together and had
a question about the various used ones I'm seeing...(ebay, etc.)

Are there fake cases advertised AS Pelicans out there?

I see many without badges, different latches, and so on.
They are running about $60ish USD

Too good to be true - or am I simply seeing older versions...
Any tips on not getting ripped off?
Thanks!

Desert Dan

Explorer
The larger Action Packers can be heavy beasts when loaded with heavy items like water jugs, gerry cans, canned food etc.

If you use all the same size boxes/Action Packers in the back of your rig you can sleep on them in a pinch.

Bogo

Adventurer
I was at Costco over the weekend and happened upon these little Attached-Lid containers. Didn't look too terably sturdy, but for $6 they may work for someone.
0815091538a.jpg
{snip}

When they first started handling the folding lid shipping boxes in big box retail stores they were the good ones and cost $15 or so each. All I have from that era are in fine shape. Later ones with fancy colors like red and blue have suffered cracks. Most of them are dead now. I have some more recent translucent ones. They don't like the sun. If I get any more I'll spend the $$ and get some industrial ones.

Otherwise I use pelican cases. I have both 1550 and 1620 sized ones. I've used the Pelican cases in the back of the pickup that doesn't have a topper. They work nicely as a trunk. When I get home from shopping I just carry it in, contents and all. For security I use a cable and locks. That allows me to lock the cases to the truck and lock them shut. The 1620 pelican cases will just hold the shipping boxes I have. There is little room to get your fingers in to remove the shipping box. Also the shipping box needs to be centered to shut the pelican case lid.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
I was at Costco over the weekend and happened upon these little Attached-Lid containers. Didn't look too terably sturdy, but for $6 they may work for someone.
0815091538a.jpg

I have a bunch of those... but only for storage in my shed and garage.
No intention to use for expo use.
Because the wall thickness is fairly thin, I had one break through the bottom, when I was double stacking. Had them packed with some ceramic stuff (both).
So now, they are single stacked.. for the heavy stuff.
I would be afraid if you dropped one. I am fairly sure it would break.

I would get that rubbermaid action packer.
Can take a major beating and still stay in one piece.
Just my $.01

JamesDowning

Explorer
I use a few different cases in my setup... all very budget-minded.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention the wal-mart Contico foot-lockers:

40749061_8775581_thumbnail.jpg

I touched mine up with some flat-black paint on the chrome bits, and it's been working great for me. It's pretty sturdy and seems to be just about the perfect size. Although it's not completely water-proof, I'd rate it as water-resistant. It'll definitely keep things 99% dry in a rainstorm, a few drops may find their way in.

Here's the only decent shot I have of it... hard to beat for $30.

tecore2_022.jpg

MattScott

Approved Vendor

I touched mine up with some flat-black paint on the chrome bits, and it's been working great for me. It's pretty sturdy and seems to be just about the perfect size. Although it's not completely water-proof, I'd rate it as water-resistant. It'll definitely keep things 99% dry in a rainstorm, a few drops may find their way in.

Here's the only decent shot I have of it... hard to beat for $30.

I love my contico boxes! Two of them fit perfect in the back of my DI, and I only paid 17.99 for them, no need for a pelican inside my truck nothing that important is in them! When I had my SD rack, I would just duck tape the seals shut until I got there, and it would keep everything dry as a rock!

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
0815091538a.jpg

I have 3 of these in my jeep. they are starting to deform from being strapped down. other then that i thought they were pretty good for the price

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
snipped.....

40749061_8775581_thumbnail.jpg

I've got one of these that is not being used. Free to any who can pick it up!

Seeker

Adventurer
I like those Wolf boxes but don't seem to be able to find them stateside. Even Slee (posted earlier in the thread) doesn't appear to have them on the site anymore.

Anyone know where they can be had?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy