Exped Storage Boxes

davegonz

Explorer
How do the Really Useful Boxes hold up to UV exposure? Most of the clear plastic boxes/bins I've used eventually became brittle.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
These are cool, but they certianly are proud of thier stuff $$$.

To be fair that's in AUD. (~.80 conversion right now). So compare that to new pricing for a similar case here in the states such as a Hardigg and they actually are priced fairly in my opinion. Expensive yes, but inline with a competing product

Spacecases seem to be a household name amongst the 4x4 community in Australia, in addition to stores being well stocked with them, roof racks and trailers were sporting them all over the place.

So this unit would be ~$125US:

Attachments

• aussie_two 105 (Medium).jpg
    aussie_two 105 (Medium).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 181

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Here is a neat cross-section Spacecase I snapped at one of the ARB outlets in VIC, very similar construction to Hardig.

Attachments

• aussie4 124 (Medium).jpg
    aussie4 124 (Medium).jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 228

mudbutt

Explorer
How do the Really Useful Boxes hold up to UV exposure? Most of the clear plastic boxes/bins I've used eventually became brittle.

Are you planning on leaving them outside a lot?

I just bought some in various sizes. I will be trying to get things organized when I get back from the V2R race in 2 weeks.

The only drawback I see so far is that the different sizes don't really stack too well on top of each other. In other words, (2) 5 litre boxes don't fit directly on top of a 10 litre, etc.

But I am impressed with quality and variety. You can get a tiny box (about 3.5" x2.5" x2") all the way up to a 36 litre box (big!), from $.99-$24.99. They have clear and translucent colors. Green, blue, redish, etc. for those of you who like to color code equipment.

davegonz

Explorer
Are you planning on leaving them outside a lot?

No, but I have had plastic bins in my previous storage drawers become brittle and break. I was thinking of using some of those to organize my tools when I finish up my new rear drawer storage system on my truck.

DontPanic42

Adventurer

The Really Useful Boxes that I use for can goods are stored in my camper. After 2 seasons of seeing various temperatures they are fine. I am tempted to hang one of the minisized ones from my solar panel and see how it weathers.

Hung a box on the panel. A black one of recycled plastic so it should be a worst condition.

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
Here are the containers I got from work.
SDC12150.jpg

i have been using this style container for a long time,,,, i got them by happenstance at least 12-15 yrs ago. i have found them to be a very durable and long wearing box, of course i dont throw them around and abuse them. i like that they stack pretty well and are secure with a ratchet strap over them. i was worried about the lids not being strong enough for stacking but they are still holding up fine. i dont notice any brittleness from sun damage but they are out of the sun most of the time stored in my shed when not being used.

i thought i would like it if the sides were square and they nestled next to each other with no wasted space, but that small space can be used handily for other items, like poles, axe, maglite, ect. and those items are very secure just sitting there in the space.

they are not water tight or sealed from dust, but neither has been a problem for me even in the truck bed. i have been very happy with these and dont expect them to perform like a much more expensive pelican or zarga. for the money they might be about the best container out there.

Last edited:

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
i have been using this style container for a long time,,,, i got them by happenstance at least 12-15 yrs ago. i have found them to be a very durable and long wearing box, of course i dont throw them around and abuse them. i like that they stack pretty well and are secure with a ratchet strap over them. i was worried about the lids not being strong enough for stacking but they are still holding up fine. i dont notice any brittleness from sun damage but they are out of the sun most of the time stored in my shed when not being used.

i thought i would like it if the sides were square and they nestled next to each other with no wasted space, but that small space can be used handily for other items, like poles, axe, maglite, ect. and those items are very secure just sitting there in the space.

they are not water tight or sealed from dust, but neither has been a problem for me even in the truck bed. i have been very happy with these and dont expect them to perform like a much more expensive pelican or zarga. for the money they might be about the best container out there.

Thanks for the input. I have been using one for my recovery gear in the back of my truck for a couple years now and it still is in about the same shape it was when I got it. I know we used them at work when I was in the building I picked them up at 10 years ago and they weren't exactly babied but I am not an abuser of my stuff so they should work fine.

I have debated about taking one and maybe putting a small bead of sealant around the edges and a decent latch or 2 on the top and see how it works but I haven't had a chance to experiment with one yet.

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
Here are the containers I got from work. They measure around "14Wx"20Lx"16H. I can't complain for $5 each. They leave enough working room above them to slide them in and out of the bed under the tonneau too. They have a very solid constructio. I think I only saw 1 or 2 broke at work and they didn't get treated the greatest either.
SDC12150.jpg

My wife picked up two containers like these from her work. They work great for storage around the house, I believe the largest ones they make and much too large for the vehicle. They are tough, and I do like how they stack.

I have debated about taking one and maybe putting a small bead of sealant around the edges and a decent latch or 2 on the top and see how it works but I haven't had a chance to experiment with one yet.

I have used two 1/4" bolts to secure the folding lids. The recess below the holes on either end allow just enough room for a 1" bolt to fit up and allow for a nut on the top side. It is a pain however to tighten up, but finger tight has worked for me. We use one to keep things like bird seed and the like, and believe the mice have given up on trying to break/chew their way in.

I am trying to get her to pick up some of the medium sized ones for our trip in Sept.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i picked up some cheapo 1/2 size carabiners at the side of a cash register in the clear plastic fishbowl, they work awesome for keeping the lids closed, not tight but closed and are easy to use.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Those look like the Arko-Mils boxes I picked up from Fastenal.

3812068797_6987f6abdd.jpg

They do look similar. Mine were manufactured by IPF. I have been meaning to look and have walked right by them countless times the last few days too.

I would love to have a few of those half-size ones.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
well i woulda thought i had the same size as your black ones rattler, in compacts pic, mine look as tall as the smallest one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy