Expedition Security: Firearm Recommendations and Suggestions

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
kevin said:
Wow, it seems that everyone here has a gun. Perhaps gun manufactuers should advertise with four wheel drive and off road publications! I will throw in my 2 cents. Because I hunt I have a drawer in my rear storage system (locking) where I store/transport rifles. When I am just offroading/camping I keep a Mossberg M590A1 military spec 12 gauge. It has 8 round capacity, with four more rounds available in a speed feed stock. It also has a light. As scott said nothing carries a greater intimidation factor. I also have liscenses to carry concealed in my home state of Oregon as well as my neighboring state of Washington. I frequently carry a Glock 22 (.40 cal), high capacity mags, laser.
I like them for many of the same reasons others have stated. Reliability, accuracy, durability, simplicity, aftermarket support. I prefer guns with no hammer for concealed carry. They tend not to poke you or snag on draw.

I do not think the gun manufacturers should advertise in 4wd mads. We got enough problems with out the anti gun crowd focusing on us LOL!

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
David,

We can put together a shoot sometime in the next couple months. I'll make sure we have many different calibres and manufactures to choose from.

The benefit to having my buddy along is his expertise at training. I'm a fair shot but not an experienced instructor. There is a huge difference in being competant with your own gun and being able to properly instruct someone else.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
my personal choices are as follows:

1. AR15 or clone w/ an AimPoint CompM (I use a BushMaster V-Match flattop w/ standard handguard)

2. Berreta FP1201 w/ SureFire 6P forearm light

3. Glock 23 for "normal" concealed carry, with a behind the hip holster w/ concealing shirt or jacket, or carried in a ****** bag (fast action gun) for the PC folks

4. S&W 442 for deep concealed carry (ankle rig or pocket carry)

Why those choices???

1. A tactical carbine is easy to handle, is relatively powerful, and can be used from 0 to 300M with good accuracy. The Aimpoint w/ 4MOA dot allows me to get on target extremely fast, yet will still allow for precision shot placement at longer range. With lightweight varmint bullets, (40, 45 grain) home protection use is viable. These rounds will not easily over penatrate - they break up on light weight materials like drywall or wall studs.

2. A 6-1/4 pound 12 guage w/ 3 rounds of 00 followed by 2 rounds of slug for general outdoor protection or 5 rounds of slugs for dangerous game protection (think Salmon season). There is a serious problem w/ over penatration w/ either of the above loads in a home use situation. As a rule I use #4 buck as a home defense load.

3. Glock 23 - 13 rounds standard mag for CCW, plus a 15 round G22 mag as a spare. If the situation can't be solved with that, your in serious doodoo. Sized between the G22 and G27, it offers good concealability with a large capacity magazine. I prefer to carry in a MadDog behind the hip Kydex holster. Malfuntions are rare, but generally are easily solved by the tap, rack, flip method.

4 The good ol' alloy S&W 442. I consider the 38 Special and 380 ACP to be the minimum effective rounds for CCW carry. A DAO revolver is still an effective fighting handgun if you train with itand understand how to solve them. Simple to use, a simple mafluntion just requires another pull of the trigger to get it going again. The worst possible malfunction is getting a case stuck under the extractor, but with practive it can be cleared quickly. I carry a speed strip or a two by two pouch for reloading. A full speed loader is also an option, but the other two allow you to keep the gun full without dumping out loaded rounds.

I've been fortunate to live in the Prescott, AZ. area. We are home to Col. Cooper's GunSite, Chuck Taylor's ASAA and Mark Fricke's AFTT. All top notch schools, and I've had the opportunity to train with all of them over the years. Chuck Taylor's instruction was perhaps the most informative for me, and I use his techniques and ideas the most.

enough rambling...

+ d

Adventurer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
You don't need no stinking hand gun!

oh c'mon swr! "NEED" has got nuthin to do with it!

if it was all about need (vs want) we wouldn't have anything to talk about 'round here!

again thanks for the generous offer bryan, we'll talk soon, black mountain!?

+ d

Adventurer
crawler#976 said:
my personal choices are as follows...

impressive array, i will not be trying to steal your lunch money anytime soon!
thanks for the input.

zimm

Expedition Leader
heres a study on sizes. the the top two Ruger (SA) and Tarus (DA) are in 45 long colt. i believe they are much better camp gun setup than a 45 auto being they are reliable low pressure revolvers with the same ballistics as the 45 auto. the lower right is a 38/357 J frame smith. a good variety of defensive bullets, but lumpy on the back. the lower left is a Kahr Arms PM40 .40 cal. this gun is the shiznit. good power, outstanding reliability, easy shooting, and the most comfortable gun i ever carried. i would recommend anybody looking for a defensive gun give this baby a try out. of course, they just came out with a PM45. soooo....

Attachments

• Photo_092105_001.jpg
    Photo_092105_001.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 41

erin

Explorer
:coffee:
Crawler 976
When did you last train with Taylor? I have always wanted to attend some of his coureses. Have you had any experience with Louis Awerbuck when you trained at Yavapia? His tactical shotgun expertise is very intersting.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
zimm said:
The lower left is a Kahr Arms PM40 .40 cal. this gun is the shiznit. good power, outstanding reliability, easy shooting, and the most comfortable gun i ever carried. i would recommend anybody looking for a defensive gun give this baby a try out. of course, they just came out with a PM45. soooo....

I'm going to get a PM40 soon. I can't hardly wait:elkgrin:

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
My home computer died and I've missed out on all this wonderful discussion. Many good, informative posts and I'd like to add my .2 cents. My daily carry handgun for the last 12 years has been a Glock 23 (.40 S&W) and I also carry a Sig P229 as well.

David, sorry for the stupid question, but have you owned a handgun before or shot a friend's handgun? Even if it's been a while since you last shot a handgun, I'd suggest you find a local range that rents handguns and rent several types to see and feel how they fit in your hands.

Also, I'd suggest if you haven't done so yet, look into whether the county sherrif is a friendly-sort that will issue/approve a concelded carry (CCW) permit for you. I've heard horror stories that it's difficult to get one if you're not from Hollywood or well-known.

Definately check out the local restrictions regarding firearms in state parks in California. You won't be able to carry or transport a firearm in any national park.

Regards.

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
offroad_nomad said:
David, sorry for the stupid question, but have you owned a handgun before or shot a friend's handgun? Even if it's been a while since you last shot a handgun, I'd suggest you find a local range that rents handguns and rent several types to see and feel how they fit in your hands.

I've got him covered. We'll have many types and calibres to choose from when we take him out.

offroad_nomad said:
Also, I'd suggest if you haven't done so yet, look into whether the county sherrif is a friendly-sort that will issue/approve a concelded carry (CCW) permit for you. I've heard horror stories that it's difficult to get one if you're not from Hollywood or well-known.

Not going to happen in San Diego County. Very few of the Sheriff's in CA will issue a permit to a regular citizen.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
erin said:
:coffee:
Crawler 976
When did you last train with Taylor? I have always wanted to attend some of his coureses. Have you had any experience with Louis Awerbuck when you trained at Yavapia? His tactical shotgun expertise is very intersting.

My ASAA classes with Chuck were back in 1994, 1995. All were 2 day classes with 200 to 600 round shot per course. Started with Basic Pistol, CCW, Intermediate, Tactical, and finished with a night time class on low/no light Tactical.

Shotgun and Carbine were from AFTT.

My two CCW renewal classes have been out at GunSite (even tho it's not required, I take the full 16 hour class over - I get more range time with instruction that way)

I've meet Louis at a local gun store, but haven't had the privilage to train with him.

mutineer

On expeditions in Venezuela I usually carried a .357 S&W revolver, SS with a 4" barrel. Thankfully I never had to shoot anybody, but did use it on plenty of snakes and used it once to scare a big jaguar that had been trailing us. Great gun, very stable, comfortable grip, and I dropped in rivers a couple of times with no ill effect after cleanup.

how did you get them home?

LateNate

Adventurer
On expeditions in Venezuela I usually carried a .357 S&W revolver, SS with a 4" barrel. Thankfully I never had to shoot anybody, but did use it on plenty of snakes and used it once to scare a big jaguar that had been trailing us. Great gun, very stable, comfortable grip, and I dropped in rivers a couple of times with no ill effect after cleanup.

How is having a gun and crossing boarders? I would think to bring one, but I would imagine it would be difficult to cross boarders with it. It seems it would bring more trouble there than help when the situation needs it.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I wonder what a person might be afraid of that makes them carry a gun?

Snakes!? Come on they are beautiful creatures that should be photographed not shot.

Big Cats? Same thing....

Bears? Same thing....

Wolves? Same thing....

Gangsters? Unlikely you will win, you are better of just giving them what they want. Or try making friends with them, not all gangsters are bad people!

Bandits? Um do we have bandits in the USA? Good luck carying a firearm in another country. Unless you know locals you can't get your hands on one. Try to take yours and you will end up in jail fast. Not to mention you are not going to survive if you pull out your hand gun while a bunch of guys are robbing you holding AK47s!

Leave the guns at home and or take them hunting.

Buy some bear spray, it will stop anything and everything that you might fear and it won't kill it which may very well result in you going to prison. Killing not only a human being but a bear or large cat can end you up in jail with a hefty fine. Bear spray in a big can has a 40ft+ range. To close for you? To bad, the bear gets to live and you stay out of jail!

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
I'm not giving any opinions on what anybody else should carry, after the last discussion I got into about that,, nor will I ask certain pacifists why they have the viewpoint that ALL GUNS ARE EVIL and all people and all of Earths creatures are happy loving fuzzy bunnies. HOWEVER.. I, me, myself, carry a Springfield XD-M 9mm. 19 round capacity, compact gun with a match barrel and a tac-light.. But that's just me. This opinion is not to be construed as anything but just that. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven