Expedition Shovels

emmodg

Adventurer
I just realized that this has turned into a 7 page thread on shovels! Buy a true temper and cut the handle down if you have to. BAM - "expedition shovel"!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
i still find slight amusement in the term "expedition" being put in front of everything on this forum. dont get me wrong, not making fun but it is kinda goofy.

i am not surprised the amount of discussion though,, i have a japanese entrenching tool that is really cool, its like the german type and both are lightyears better than the american one.

i found a 3/4 size shovel that i cut the handle down a tad and use for the truck shovel. its old and i should replace the handle soon.

emmodg

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm kinda in the market for an expedition 4-way. I'd also like to find some good expedition valve stem covers.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Nupla builds very high quality digging, striking, and fire fighting tools. They also don't cost obscene amounts of money. They mfg. many of the tools that bear other names as well.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Yeah, I'm kinda in the market for an expedition 4-way.
ummmm...try eHarmony..
I'd also like to find some good expedition valve stem covers.
valve-cap.jpg

Always happy to help. ;)

soenke

Adventurer
I've got one of these compact Fiskars snow shovels for snow:

35110808.jpg

Snow shovels are of course useless for packed earth, but decent spades are sub-optimal for moving snow, so two times a year I change out what I bring.

we like the Fiskars best too, they are very light and still tough !
we use the snow shovel for sand though...

2289528.jpg

...and the foldable for everything else. I prefer the better quality compared to the old german military stuff.
2289529.jpg

2289530.jpg

Carry two of each, but did´t have to use them for quite some time anymore. So I´m happy to be able to store them easily :D

dust devil

Observer
The question should not be "what's the best shovel to carry" but rather "what's the best shovel to use for digging holes and shifting dirt." I'll take a full-sized shovel any day if I really have to dig a lot of dirt. Otherwise, the shape of the blade dictates how it works in certain soil types. Snow shovels work okay in snow and maybe sand, but you can't dig a hole with them in anything else, whereas a common spade will shift just about anything, including snow. If you feel the need to carry a shovel, find a way to pack a good full-sized garden spade.

soenke

Adventurer
The question should not be "what's the best shovel to carry" but rather "what's the best shovel to use for digging holes and shifting dirt." I'll take a full-sized shovel any day if I really have to dig a lot of dirt. Otherwise, the shape of the blade dictates how it works in certain soil types. Snow shovels work okay in snow and maybe sand, but you can't dig a hole with them in anything else, whereas a common spade will shift just about anything, including snow. If you feel the need to carry a shovel, find a way to pack a good full-sized garden spade.

sorry I am very pleased with our solution, snow shovels work better then a spade in sand. And I haven´t had the need to dig any muds for years now :elkgrin:
If I would go on a heavy mud trip I think I would rather take the (heavy) chains along..

michaelgroves

Explorer
Snow shovels work okay in snow and maybe sand, but you can't dig a hole with them in anything else, whereas a common spade will shift just about anything, including snow.

Good point. A spade is more versatile, and unless you know you will only be moving loose/soft stuff like snow or sand, it's probably a better bet than a shovel.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Shovels

As long as it moves dirt it will work. I was driving out near the shore Tuesday, we recently had rain so the ground it really saturated, plus there is an underground natural drainage that runs out to where I was at. Sure enough, the golf cart when to the frame. The stuff looks firm, but it just takes a little pressure to overcome and it turns to a waterbed.

Luckily I had brought my sons toys to play in the sand with. Just so happened to have a shovel, rake and hoe for the recovery.

Dug down under the tire and infront of it. Placed some rocks under the tires, used my flyrod tube to push on the gas pedal and pushed on the cart at the same time, popped right out.

I always think back to watching youtube vids of failed recovery efforts and people always saying, "20 people around and not one had a shovel". Hey, it may not have been a big shovel, but I had one :sombrero:
LD20090519__007.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
If one is that pressed for space your packing wrong.

This is actually an important point. And I would add that if you cannot fit a proper shovel in your vehicle, it is time to re-prioritize the equipment list.

It is easy to fill a truck with equipment, add a roof rack and fill that, and then pull a trailer filled with additional equipment, yet forget the most important tools required on a trip. I often find travelers in remote areas that are completely unprepared to repair or recover their vehicle, yet have every piece of camping equipment they can stuff in the truck.

Unfortunately, tools like a shovel, proper jack, a full-size spare, etc. are often neglected.

For a shovel to be effective, it must be a high-quality, sturdy implement. The cheap folding shovels only lasts minutes of work, soon followed by the person wielding it, as the effort and ergonomics of using these compact units are exhausting. Doing just one serious road repair will put a good shovel on your list of required gear.

Selecting a proper shovel:
1. D or T handle, which aids in leverage and reduces fatigue. Avoid wood Y handles, as they can split under heavy loads or leverage.
2. Length. Length has less to do with fitting it in your vehicle than fitting you. I recommend a short handled shovel that with the point touching the ground, the handle rests in your hand, with the arms down and in a relaxed position. A tall person with too short of a shovel will tire quickly. At 6'1", a 37" long shovel is perfect for me. If you can fit a longer shovel easily, do it. Ash or fiberglass make for a good handle. Wood handles should be cared for to prevent drying out, splitting, etc.
3. Blade. Use a round-nosed spade, made from carbon steel. The blade should be somewhere around 8-9 inches wide, and 10-11 inches long. Too narrow, and you move too little material. Too wide, and you move too much (i.e. too heavy) or you cannot maneuver the blade around a tire, the undercarriage, etc. The steel should be in the 12-14 gauge range.

For the last ten years, I have used a good-quality, tempered shovel like this:
049206151314.jpg

These are reasonably priced shovels, and have proven durable through years of use. Lowes typically carries shovels like this.

Mounted to the Tacoma like this:
PICT0037.jpg

This type of mount makes accessing the shovel very convenient, but did expose the rack and tools to trail damage and weathering/rust.

On the Defenders, there are clean, solid mounts like this:
RNK8233.JPG

A mount like that could be adapted to most flat surfaces. QuickFists are also effective for mounting a shovel. If the shovel is inside, just make sure it is mounted solid should an accident or roll-over occur.

Recently, I have used the Carters shovel, which I first found on the Expedition Exchange site.

It is well-built, with a thick blade (the thickest I have seen on a short shovel). The blade is also angled more parallel with the handle and the dish of the blade is more shallow, which should make it easier to dig under frame rails, axles, etc. I used this shovel extensively in Guatemala, and found it very durable.
Carters_Shovel.jpg

If you do need a folding shovel, I have found the Hi-Lift Handle-All to work ok. The segmented handle is not very comfortable to use, but at least it is long enough and durable. You also gain the benefit of other tools in the kit, like a felling axe and a pick. I would leave the heavy sledge in the shop...
handleall.jpg

That is about all I have to say about shovels ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk