Expedition Shovels

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Hah!
No, it was a little interference issue that cropped up. Still really don't know what happened, but it's not moved since.

Anyway, it's been a good little shovel for me. The cam-action lock at the spade to handle junction means no threads to get filled with grit.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
This is what I use.

92SFxyz.jpg

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I carry one of these. Surprisingly good qualty. Adjustable angle head, heavy duty metal construction, very compact:

GERBER Folding Spade w/ Sheath - Model 5940

Folds down for ease of carrying and storing
NATO-approved
Ballistic nylon sheath
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Overall Length: 23.39"
Weight: 2.5375 lbs.
Handle Material: Glass filled Nylon

Blade Material: Boron Steel
Sheath Material: Ballistic Nylon

31E7AGG99ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

cruisertoy

Explorer
I also carry the Gerber. Bought it for $12 at an army surplus store in Idaho. I carry it all the time, but when I go out for a wheeling trip I throw in a cutt off landscaping shovel. The Highlift handle fits over the top of the cut off handle and I drilled and secure two pins in it to hold it together. Easy enough.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
In the past I have carried a fullsized rounded nose shovel. This was when I had a fullsized bed on my truck and no family , so no need to fill the spaces. Things change. The vehicle and the family. Space becomes important.
I no longer have a full size bed, and don't think I want to pack a full size shovel all the time.
I had one of the folding pick / shovels with a hard wood handle. For years I packed it when hiking in to campsites. I carried it in my truck until I broke the handle.
This one looked good as I decided that I would like to try a D-handled shovel and need a little more durability. Mini D-handle Shovel (Now under $10 + shipping)

As usual I can not leave anything alone, so I modified it.

shovel.jpg

I used a cutting disc to serrate one side for cutting roots. Then I bobbed the point. I don't like a pointed tip, as it tends to deflect too easily on a rock. I also sharpened the edges.

The blade is formed .070 steel with an open back. The shaft is a wood core fiberglass wrap. "Bond" was printed on the shaft. The handle is plastic , perhaps ABS?.

It is plenty sturdy, and the size is good. Small, but good. Overall it is now 26" long.

here it is next to my tire for scale-

shovel2.jpg

This really has been a very good shovel.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
For shovels-

3MD55.JPG

3MD48.JPG

But for day to day in the truck I don't carry a shovel

I carry a Pick mattock.............a sharp pointy end for rocky ground, prying rocks and a 5" wide flat end for moving material.

If you've ever tried pulling sand out from under a truck with a shovel you'll realise its almost useless.

The mattock works great. only issue is the weight-----------given a choice

The pick mattock goes with me and the lonley shovel stay's at home..

Both tools have fiberglass shafts with an abs covering for long life

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I was going to mention something in my post but forgot.
Never paint wooden tool handles. It can hide a pending failure, like a split, with results that can hurt you. Or someone else.
I'm sure quite a few folks already know that, but I'm always surprised at how many who don't.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I found a military surplus folding shovel with pick and leather cover. Shovel and pick are lockable in a few different positions. It was about $15 CAN as I recall. Had it for years and so far haven't had to use it, but now that I have hexed it, I probably will. It is so small that it fits in my ARB recovery bag and comes on all trips. I carry a full size landscaping shovel when I know I will be in sand, just in case.

When we used to go wadi bashing in Oman, I noticed quite a few had this shovel and worked well, hence why I got one when we came back.

Attachments

• Military surplus folding shovel + pick.jpg
    Military surplus folding shovel + pick.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 282

Tom and Elaine

Observer
Wildland firefighters have a long handled version of the military E-tool called a combi-tool. I have used one on fires for a couple years and they are great for recovery work in snow, mud, dirt, and Montana gumbo. Traded out my shovel for the combi-tool last summer. Look in the National Fire Supply site. T&E

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
A garden hoe is great for when the vehicle has bellied out and you cant get the shovel in easily.
Much less work:coffeedrink:

30453_300.jpg

Tom and Elaine

Observer
Yep, long handle on a German surplus folding shovel, a garden hoe, or a combi-tool. The ability to have the shovel head at a .45 degree angle when digging under a rig is great. The pick is handy also. The cutting edges on the combi-tool and military folding shovels if kept at least half way sharp cut roots etc very handily. Bottom line is more jobs for one piece of equipment makes room for something else. T&E

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Just a note I think important.

One thing that makes that German shovel better than the US entrenching tools I've had is the fact that the German one has a square spring loaded pin that locks it in the three positions.

The US type has a threaded collar that has to be tightened down.

The threads can be a real pain in freezing slush and snow. With the German spring loaded pin, even if it freezes up a few good whacks and it's good to go again.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
I was going to mention something in my post but forgot.
Never paint wooden tool handles. It can hide a pending failure, like a split, with results that can hurt you. Or someone else.
I'm sure quite a few folks already know that, but I'm always surprised at how many who don't.

Count me in as one who didn't know. Thank you for the tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach