expedition style build up of my '90 Toyota pickup

roamingaz

Explorer
yeah I removed the side tool box after I decided I wanted to keep my bike inside the truck rather then a hitch mount,the tool box shelf took up half the bed and it created a lot of wasted space. so far I am really liking the utility shell, I like the ease of access to anything in the truck and when its closed no one knows whats inside.
Keep a lookout on craigslist if your looking for this type of camper shell, I found mine for $300.

Momrocks

Adventurer
We’re really beginning to see some interesting work using utility shells on this board. Great build platform and a blank canvas for broad interpretation. I love all the creativity and ingenuity. Keep up the great work, very inspiring.

roamingaz

Explorer
what are you going to do for a tent? roof-top of some sort? been throwing this idea around for awhile.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18550

Funny you mention that, I was at Cabelas yesterday looking at the tent cots. The double is huge but at around $350 I personally would rather spend the extra for a true RTT only because they are made to be mounted on the roof and the ladder is already attached, I dont like have loose items in my truck. For right now I am using a Eureka 4 season mountaineering tent, it is overkill for any weather I will ever see in Arizona but I like to know I am prepared for any weather and it is extremly wind stable, whereas a RTT tends to blow around in strong winds.

I am installing a ARB awning on my truck today and I will post up pics tonight.

Photog

Explorer
Very thoughtful build. I really enjoyed reading the thread. I also like the DIY platforms.

Black shell in AZ?! You are right about everything being hot, when temps are 110. But when temps are only 80, your black shell will be too hot to touch, and the white/silver rigs will be cool to the touch.

I tried this in a used car lot. A silver truck next to a dark blue truck. Outside temps were 75 degrees. Lay one hand on each hood. The dark blue was too hot to keep my hand on it. The silver was warmer than ambient; but cooler than my 98.6 degree hand.

Any way, very nice little rig.

roamingaz

Explorer
That is very interesting, I will have to check that out. I am thinking of painting the whole truck tan or doing a wrap anyway, I dont really like the look of the black paint but it looks better then the half white half yellow it was, my topper came off a Truly Nolen truck and still had the trademark yellow showing through.

It is too dark for pics, so I will post up tomarrow pics of my awning, it is pretty cool.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Good on Ya

Great Build. You and I are on the same course, you are just way ahead of me. I was thinking about going with a top that has the ambulance style doors but I just found an extra tall for $180 on CL with a standard tailgate. Is the rack you are using the one it came with made of aluminum? Mine is a little bent so I will be fabbing something one of these days. I'm so surprised that more people don't go with this style topper. They are so light and you can easily chop the top to make a pop up.
Great work

roamingaz

Explorer
Is the rack you are using the one it came with made of aluminum? Mine is a little bent so I will be fabbing something one of these days. I'm so surprised that more people don't go with this style topper. They are so light and you can easily chop the top to make a pop up.
Great work

Yes my rack is aluminum, I am thinking of removing it and having a custom rack built that is the length of the camper plus it will dip down in front and cover the cab, kinda like the Exterra rack. I have had several people tell me that a pop up would be easy to put on, I am curious to see how that is done, if it looks good and seals up good I may consider that over a RTT.

I have my ARB awning installed, it is very nice quality but it does take a little pratice to set up by myself. I have to say thanks to Wil at sierra expeditions , even after a shipping screw up he still was able to get me my awning in the time frame he said I would have it, awesome customer service.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com

toyotabuild001-7.jpg

toyotabuild003-7.jpg

I am going to get a piece of fake grass carpet to keep the dust down in my campsite:camping:
toyotabuild004-7.jpg

My kids think it's pretty cool too....well my son really likes the Metallica cd I had playing....:rockon:

toyotabuild007-6.jpg

xx.xii

Observer
i just found ur thread today and i have to say its a well thought out application u've done. great job, my hella 500ff r not as bright as i had wanted them to be,i saw ur lights and will defly put forth the money for a few pairs. hows that fridge and solar set up goin for ya? i am thinking bout adding a fridge and solar panels from northern tool,just gotta figure out a good set up and urs was well plannned so i may have to rip some of ur ideas lol,once again great build i will suscribe for sure

roamingaz

Explorer
i just found ur thread today and i have to say its a well thought out application u've done. great job, my hella 500ff r not as bright as i had wanted them to be,i saw ur lights and will defly put forth the money for a few pairs. hows that fridge and solar set up goin for ya? i am thinking bout adding a fridge and solar panels from northern tool,just gotta figure out a good set up and urs was well plannned so i may have to rip some of ur ideas lol,once again great build i will suscribe for sure

The same Procomp HID lights I have are on sale at 4 wheel parts for $250 each, not a bad deal for good quality lights and you only need 2, I never could understand why some people think haveing 6 forward facing lights is cool.

Thanks for all the compliments on my build!:victory:

xx.xii

Observer
cool i will chk that out, my rack has four lights, two centrals facing forward, the two outers facing in the direction to give almost 150-180 of front facing lights, i guess i could use those procomps as my angled lights to assist with this method along with my high beams, but i like the option of runningmore lights(two per switch) for those just in case situations where one bust or two,and at least u have operating spares to keep ur night vision going, just my reason..i have know idea why other people put more than two on theirs so i wont defend them lol.

what gauge wire did u run for those hid's? does it come with a wiring kit?

roamingaz

Explorer
My lights did not come with a wiring kit, I bought a Procomp band kit because I liked the switch lol, the wireing is only 14 ga. The thing I like about HID lighting is they are low draw. One thing that I added is Bari nuts to secure the lights, Expedition Exchange sells them.
I get asked often how bright the HID's are compared to normal halogen lights the best way to desribe the difference is compare a mini mag AA flashlight to a Surefire LED, simply amazing difference. One thing about HID is it is a white light and takes some getting used to. I will try to get some better pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy