Expeditions West: Western States ARB Adventure

4RunnerGuy

That sound just heard around the world was millions of 4Runner owners breathing a collective sigh of relief...:D

ShottsCruisers said:
...While I wouldn't want to be caught dead in a 4Runner, I luv the looks of the GX...

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
Nice pics and report. Nice to see the capabilities of the 4Runner appreciated by others.
I've wheeled in all kinds of terrain and it performed great. Even better when I added the ARB rear locker. 3 years of great use and it's a tough pkg.

As for suspension upgrades and articulation, the limitations are not any less than a 100. There are some solid developments going on.

We were the first to put OME suspensions on 4Runners. (Prado 120 kit)
My friend has gone thru just about every suspension setup available and has gotten the rear to flex great with a suspension he developed (altho it flexes very well with OME setup).
Also, with coilovers, it can run advanced shocks like donahoes or saws.

Additionally, this platform is a Toyota world-standard now with the Taco/4R/GX/FJCruiser/Prado all sharing identical & similar parts/frames.

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
Sweet I live Videos! Nice Job! Does it have on-board air? Or is the compressor just set up for the lockers?

I actually has both. The new small locker compressor and a portable ARB unit for the tires :)

azskyrider

Observer
4WD Toyota Owner magazine future article?

Hello Scott,

I might have missed a post answering this but is there any chance there will be an article in a future 4WD Toyota Owner magazine about this vehicle and its accessories?

ahem, if you have any spare time you could , if you please, perhaps make a video (since you are so good at them!) of the vehicle. Giving us a nice tour around it and some close ups of the goods!!!

Cmon now guys and dolls a little encouragment to help the man :clapsmile :clapsmile :clapsmile

4x4rnr

Z O O R O P A said:
...if you please, perhaps make a video (since you are so good at them!) of the vehicle. ...

I'll second that. I was #3 in the states to do the Prado suspension on a 4th gen 4runner, thanks to some excellent pioneering work by some others. Next on my list are winch-capable front bumper, sliders, and lockers. So any additional details you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Excellent work on the review Scott, keep up the good work :exclaim:

mochoajr

expeditionswest said:
It is a great package for a comfortable, reliable DD/Trail machine. It is very similar to the FZJ80 in the fact that it does many things well, but does not specialize in any one area.

If you had to own only one new vehicle to do it all, this would propably be it in my book.

But as with everything, there are compromises... which is why many of us own several vehicles :ylsmoke:

Thanks for the info on the ARB 4Runner and great pics too!! I have an '04 with the V6, do you think I miss much not having the V8??

Thanks, mochoajr

RL Lemke

Scott:

I wonder if you might post some close-up photos of the underside of the front bumper and step sliders. I would like to see how the bumper interacts with the skid plate, and how the slider attaches. Your willingness to share your experiences here, and the other sites, is greatly appreciated.

Oh yea, if you could post a couple photos of the new compressor for the air lockers would be appreciated also.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I just joined this forum and am very excited, there is so much great information. I'm very jealous of everybody's experiences! I love the pictures, videos and reflection.

Last week I bought my first 4x4, an '06 4runner Sport V6. I love it, and in the coming years I want to take a few 'mini-expeditions' of my own, whenever I can get a couple weeks away from work. (There isn't much oppurtunity to use the 4 wheel drive between hermosa beach and downtown LA where I work.)

My off-roading experience (if you can call it that) is very limited, sitting shot-gun with my dad in our '81 CJ-7, so I have a lot to learn.

That ARB 4runner is awesome! I think my first mod will be a 2-3" lift and some A/T tires. I noticed on your Tacoma you chose Donahoe coilovers and the ARB 4runner had the OME springs and shocks. I am faced with the same decision, I've read your write up on the coil-overs and why you chose them. But for my purposes, being a begginer do you think I would be making a poor choice to go with the OME setup (cheaper)? I'm sure either choice will be more than adequate but I want to make the correct choice the first time. Something that 5 years down the line, I'm still excited about.

Another consideration for me is that the 4runner will be my daily driver with 80-90% of the miles coming on the road, which setup is best for onroad performance?

Sorry for joining up and immediatly asking for help :)

I look forward to being a contributor in the future.

Thanks,
Ryan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven