Expeditions West: Western States ARB Adventure

Scott Brady

Founder
flyingwil said:
Scott-
I noticed the steps on the side of the 4Runner, are they strong enogh to act as sliders?

Yep :smilies27 Fully certified...

The mounting legs curve down and then attach to the frame, making them a little more likely to hit the rocks than an angled attachment.

They also hold the weight of the truck with a jack.

Nicest thing about them (other than the obvious) is the really work as a step, providing easy access to the roof rack. They also provide the pleasant benefit of keeping mud off of the side of the truck

Scott Brady

Founder
gjackson said:
Scott:

Afficianados will say you have to go a little further south to get to the 'real' dunes. And in my experience I have to agree. Not, in the least, to detract from those particular distant lands, though. . . :jump:

I agree.

Pretty firm purchase overall, though several areas did have a similar consistency to the Altar. Just not the windward faces, which is were the real challenge is.

Scott Brady

Founder
calamaridog said:
One thing I forgot to ask: Which V8 does that truck have? Is that the 270+hp (VVTI) version or the 235hp version of the 4.7?

I am sure there is an engineered solution to the lack of articulation in the rear of the 4runner. You can run 10" travel shocks in the rear of the 100 series LC with OME springs which is nice.

It is a 2004 with the 235hp version.

I am going to do some tests with the swaybar removed and with a bit of a load in the back. The rear heavy springs didnt have quite enough load to compress.

The suspension has long control arms and the shocks have a good length too. I will report back on the changes.

articulate

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
I am going to do some tests with the swaybar removed and with a bit of a load in the back. The rear heavy springs didnt have quite enough load to compress.

The suspension has long control arms and the shocks have a good length too. I will report back on the changes.
This is hilarious, Mod Master. You just can't leave anything the way you found it, can you? Maybe you should add on an auxiliary fuel tank and a shower while you're at it. Perhaps a bidet. :)D ) Expedition approved microwave oven?

:)

Scott Brady

Founder
articulate said:
This is hilarious, Mod Master. You just can't leave anything the way you found it, can you? Maybe you should add on an auxiliary fuel tank and a shower while you're at it. Perhaps a bidet. :)D ) Expedition approved microwave oven?

:)

:hehe:

Nope. I just need to find a way to fit a snorkel. Just doesn't look right in the Brady driveway... :box:

CLynn85

Explorer
Wow, gone and back already. Great trip report, looks like ya'll had fun. Makes me really disappointed that my mom didn't like the 4runner we test drove a few weeks ago lol.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Excellent reporting Scott. Hope you're having fun playing with all these trucks! It's good to see a 4Runner getting put through it's paces (though I wish is was a GX. I just can't get my eyes to stomach to likes of the 4Runner).

I know you're early in testing though I wonder if you have a feel yet for my two main concerns with the 4Runner?

1. The lack of articulation in the rear. Yes, I know you'll disco the sway bar but that's cheating on a D/D. At 10-inches rear travel combined with under 8-inches IFS travel I see the Runner being a big-time wheel lifter. :confused:

2. The low slung components...especially the drivers-side gas tank. What's you take on this on rocky trails? It hangs so low IMO that I see the driver needing to take a path aiming the big rocks under the passanger side...which is not always possible. :confused:

I hope we can run a ARB Runner and my 100 side-by here in AZ. It would make for a excellent comparison that would benefit many.

Scott Brady

Founder
ShottsCruisers said:
I know you're early in testing though I wonder if you have a feel yet for my two main concerns with the 4Runner?

1. The lack of articulation in the rear. Yes, I know you'll disco the sway bar but that's cheating on a D/D. At 10-inches rear travel combined with under 8-inches IFS travel I see the Runner being a big-time wheel lifter. :confused:

2. The low slung components...especially the drivers-side gas tank. What's you take on this on rocky trails? It hangs so low IMO that I see the driver needing to take a path aiming the big rocks under the passanger side...which is not always possible. :confused:

I hope we can run a ARB Runner and my 100 side-by here in AZ. It would make for a excellent comparison that would benefit many.

1. Articulation is limited by the diameter of the swaybar, which makes the vehicle a blast to drive fast on the dirt roads. A smaller diameter bar would provide more articulation, but would reduce stability at speed.

It is not a big wheel lifter, as the suspension numbers are better than 95% of the vehicles available.

What is more important than pure articulation numbers is balance. The front has 8", which is better than most IFS trucks and the rear has 10" with the swaybar attached. That makes for a very balanced suspension and allows the 4Runner to perform fantastic. Suspension performance is a highly complex endeavor, and is influenced by spring rate, travel, damping, etc.

Even though my Trooper was considerably more travel, it is no where near as balanced and tactile.

2. Not an issue. Never hit the tank, even on several 3+ rated obstacles. The front factory skidplate could be thicker, but all Toyotas suffer the same.

3. Put 32" tall tires on the 100 and it would make a great comparison. Otherwise, it will be turtle and the hare. 4Runner will outperform the 100 on the fast stuff and tight trails, while your 100 will fair better in the bigger rocks due to tire size. Or I could swap over the 255/85's from the Taco and really play on the rocks :)

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
1. Articulation is limited by the diameter of the swaybar, which makes the vehicle a blast to drive fast on the dirt roads. A smaller diameter bar would provide more articulation, but would reduce stability at speed.

It is not a big wheel lifter, as the suspension numbers are better than 95% of the vehicles available.

What is more important than pure articulation numbers is balance. The front has 8", which is better than most IFS trucks and the rear has 10" with the swaybar attached. That makes for a very balanced suspension and allows the 4Runner to perform fantastic. Suspension performance is a highly complex endeavor, and is influenced by spring rate, travel, damping, etc.

Even though my Trooper was considerably more travel, it is no where near as balanced and tactile.

2. Not an issue. Never hit the tank, even on several 3+ rated obstacles. The front factory skidplate could be thicker, but all Toyotas suffer the same.

3. Put 32" tall tires on the 100 and it would make a great comparison. Otherwise, it will be turtle and the hare. 4Runner will outperform the 100 on the fast stuff and tight trails, while your 100 will fair better in the bigger rocks due to tire size. Or I could swap over the 255/85's from the Taco and really play on the rocks :)

Wow....sounds like you're sold. That's a great testimonial!

Scott Brady

Founder
It is a great package for a comfortable, reliable DD/Trail machine. It is very similar to the FZJ80 in the fact that it does many things well, but does not specialize in any one area.

If you had to own only one new vehicle to do it all, this would propably be it in my book.

But as with everything, there are compromises... which is why many of us own several vehicles :ylsmoke:

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
which is why many of us own several vehicles :ylsmoke:

I'm afraid that as this testimonial continues on that I'll contemplate a GX470. While I wouldn't want to be caught dead in a 4Runner, I luv the looks of the GX.

I hope you'll be finding faults in the 4Runner soon. My driveway's full, though it does have room for a dedicated 100-series trail rig (a little brother to my 2001). Maybe we can Trailex a 470 instead? :ylsmoke:

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
...gonna be difficult to find any local terrain challenges for ya Scott. Looks like you covered things pretty well! Maybe Smiley Rock??? Or from the Iron King Mine to the top of Ticonderoga Gluch above Walker???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven