Expeditions West: Western States ARB Adventure

Scott Brady

Founder
Stephanie and I left the group, and headed east towards Mountain Home and my old playgrounds in the desert. I made a quick stop to an old play area we called "the pits" and we motored around a bit. All of the old "technical" challenges seemed pretty tame 10 years later.

IMG_7583.JPG

We head off to the little Sahara tomorrow morning for some dune and sand testing. I will also be testing out an exhaust jack, and will report back on its performance.

I will also be brushing up on my sand driving in preparation for a "very" possible trip to distant lands, with even bigger dunes........

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Real cool Scott - from my sofa it looks like a fun trip so far :coffee:

Once you get plush its hard to go back:elkgrin:

say howdy to Steph for us :wavey:

colvere

Observer
Saturday was allot of fun, the trail was excellent and I learned allot. Scott, thanks for stopping and spending the morning with us here in Idaho. I think everyone had a great time. The trip inspired me to push my locker upgrade to the front burner of the stove. Thanks for posting pictures, I can’t believe I didn’t have my SD card in my camera :mad:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Performance impressions?

Scott,

The ARB 4runner is outfitted similarly as a 100 series can be. Bumper, winch, slider/steps, roof rack, V8 and automatic transmission, mild suspension upgrade, etc.

How would you compare the performance of the ARB 4runner to a 100 series vehicle?

I would assume they are similar, with the 4runner being a bit lighter, smaller, more nimble.

If you are not free to comment I will understand!

Regards, Bryan

Scott Brady

Founder
After a nice drive through Mountain Home and an evening in Ogden.

The morning was an interesting drive through the Seveir Desert on the way to the Little Sahara OHV area, a huge area of moving dunes created by the 15,000 year old Lake Boneville.

IMG_7622.JPG

IMG_7629.JPG

IMG_7631.JPG

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
nice photos Scott -

1 - What are your thoughts on the rack and tire CG wise?

2 - How is the 4 runner handling in all the sand?

3 - I forgot is there a fridge in that thing? :)

4 - How is the MPG ?

5 - R U liking the 5 speed manual ?

Scott Brady

Founder
There has been some conjecture over the last few years about the 4Runners traction control system, that it is slow to respond, or will even get itself stuck in the sand.

All of course is not even remotely true. The traction control system responded as quickly at any vehicle I have tested, with the possible exception of the new Range Rover. Combined with the impressive V8 torque and 5 speed auto, the 4Runner was killer in the sand. Instant throttle response and very stable. The traction control was not intrusive, and worked so well in the sand that the lockers were never required.

And this was all at street pressure in the tires :elkgrin:

The key is to lock the center diff and turn off the VSC. In the sand, with VSC engaged the system does get unhappy, of course prompted by my drifting through the sand dunes.

IMG_7643.JPG

IMG_7645.JPG

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
ARB Steps?

Scott-
I noticed the steps on the side of the 4Runner, are they strong enogh to act as sliders?

Scott Brady

Founder
From the dunes, we continued south to the mountains north of Minersville, and a trek into one of the oldest mines in the US, dug by Spaniards over 200 years ago.

The trail grew VERY interesting within a few miles, with deep snow and washouts. There was a 300 yard long hill that was very technical, requiring the rear locker and some momentum. Line selection was also critical as it was a shelf road.

IMG_7819.JPG

IMG_7836.JPG

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Nice it just looks like too much fun.... from the sand to the snow:victory:

Oh and disregard my question on the steps... doesn't look like they would support as much weight like the sliders with out additional support.

gjackson

FRGS
Scott:

I will also be brushing up on my sand driving in preparation for a "very" possible trip to distant lands, with even bigger dunes.....

Afficianados will say you have to go a little further south to get to the 'real' dunes. And in my experience I have to agree. Not, in the least, to detract from those particular distant lands, though. . . :jump:

Hope it works out, but I was looking forward to Baja.:rolleyes:

:beer: Cheers :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven