Expeditions West: Western States ARB Adventure

shawkins

Adventurer
You wouldnt happen to be going down around Portland, or Vancouver would you? Id love to see that Runner real quick!:jumping: But I understand that you are running a tight schedule, and meet ups probably arent in it! LOL

Scott Brady

Founder
Shawkins,

Unfortunately, we are going to miss Portland all together. Our route heads almost directly to Southern Idaho, going through the corner of Oregon.

Oregon is a beautiful state though. I spent over a week there two years ago, drove around most of the state!

colvere

Observer
Idaho Rocks

I am a new member and would love to tag along on the silver city run. I live in Nampa and its on your way. The weather has been nice for the past week but a little rain today. I was going to take the kids and dirtbikes out there on sunday for a little trail riding and could probably give you a trail report. Be sure to check out the bruneau sand dunes, Malad gorge, and thousand springs in Hagerman. You could spend weeks in the owyhee canyon lands and never run out of things to see and do. On your way to utah you could also stop and see Shoshone falls.

Scott Brady

Founder
Colvere,

That should work well. I am looking at staying Friday night in Ontario, OR, and then coming down Hwy78 to the Silver City turnoff. There used to be a killer little cafe near the turnoff to Silver City where I plan on having breakfast.

I plan on leaving Ontario at 5:00 am to make sure that I have good light for photographs in the area.

Do you know if their is heavy snow in the Owahees yet? About ten years ago, we launched a winter ascent into Silver City, and only made it 3/4 of the way. Snow was heavy that year though. I do not remember exactly, but I have traveled to Silver City (and some cool trails beyond) at least 5 times.

It looks like the best route for me is to travel from Ontario to Nampa (45 minutes), where we could meet. Then travel down Route 45 to 78, and then on to Silver City (about 1 hour and 15 minutes).

For four years (while I was a firefighter), the Owahees and Bruneau were my stomping grounds.

Your report would be great, as if the town is snowed in, we may want to make a trek to the Long Tom Res.(south of Boise NF), a fun area I used to explore too.

Tell us more about your Rover :)

send me an email, so we can get the planning process started :) guide at expeditionswest.com

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Scott, please PM me your fax# as i'd love to file my resume with you! :D

Sounds like a great time. Have fun...

colvere

Observer
Silver City

The main road from 78 to Silver City is closed at the Sinker creek bridge because of wash out. You can go around via Rabit creek and Nancy gulch. You can also approach from the west from Jordan valley on 95.

Scott Brady

Founder
Did you make it to the area this weekend? Is that when you found the wash-out? Just curious, because maybe if it is older news, it could have been repaired by now (I hope). I don't know that I will have the time to come in from the West, though I have heard that is a beautiful route.

Did you see any snow on War Eagle?

Ok, one more question. Are there any new trails that you would suggest in that area? In the 2.5 difficulty range.

Scott Brady

Founder
We are having a great trip so far. The folks at ARB were wonderful and we are currently at a coffee house in Yakima Washington.

The truck is awesome so far. The V8 is a fantastic motor!

We hit the trail in the morning.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
We are having a great trip so far. The folks at ARB were wonderful and we are currently at a coffee house in Yakima Washington.

The truck is awesome so far. The V8 is a fantastic motor!

We hit the trail in the morning.

:jumping: :luxhello: :jumping:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Great news glad to hear you are enjoying the V8 - get that thing in the snow :Wow1:

Enjoy Utah... and say hi to Ben at Slee-offroad for me when you get to Colorado :wavey:

Scott Brady

Founder
The trip has been great so far, and we spent the day wheeling with an excellent group of people. Ernie from the forum brought his cool Discovery I and several members of the Idaho Land Cruiser club attended.

We ran the Lost Trail south of Nampa, which proved to be the perfect first test of the ARB 4Runner.

The 4Runner had great traction and flexibility, with the option of center, front or rear lockers and any combination with the traction control.

It also rode better on the trail than any other vehicle I have owned, tested or riden in. Absolutely plush, with spot-on valving in the firm OME shocks. Great stability and balance, though suffering slightly from the thick OEM swaybars.

It was also a little chilly, so Steph and I were spoiled with seat heater, dual zone climate control and super comfy leather seating.

Don't think I have gone soft on you... :p

In fact, the 4Runner closely reminded me of an 80 series Land Cruiser in size, weight and balance on the trail. Of course the monster V8, 5 speed auto and interior refinements make things different on the road.

Here come a few pictures.

Scott Brady

Founder
IMG_7385.JPG

Slow in the WA Cascades

IMG_7427.JPG

about 8" under the rear tire

IMG_7438.JPG

A nice ledge at the top of an optional climb

Scott Brady

Founder
DROOOOOOOOL :Wow1:

FJ45 with FJ60 drivetrain and 36x10.5 swampers. One of the coolest rigs I have seen in a while. Major funk factor and many thoughtful modifications.

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7576.JPG

Scott Brady

Founder
Negotiating this optional cambered ledge, the 4Runner was rock solid. This obstacle showed the beauty of the available traction options.

The first ledge was cross axled, but had a tight, passenger side turn too. To make matters worse, the bottom was full of mud and ice. So I engaged the center diff lock and rear ARB locker. The truck climbed and turned with zero spin.

After make the turn, the obstacle pitched sideways to a crack at nearly 25 degrees and on a lightly muddy slope. So I turned everything of to prevent a down hill slide. Low range, all diffs open. Not even a hint of slipage. Several of the other vehicles slipped with the rear end.

It is sweet to have these electronic aids available with Toyota reliability.

IMG_7514.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven