FG buildup

You have an absolutely enormous amount of storage space in those steel boxes on the sides. What are they for? Have you calculated your weight with them full of whatever you intend to put in them?

Charlie

dhackney

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
With everything you need at your fingertips (nice TV, can an on-board humidor be far behind?)

I was going to take a wine cave unit apart and use the compressor/condensor to make the entire basement storage compartment a wine cellar, but I ran out of time. I will have a small jacket size humidor with me. I try to just buy cigars when I'm going to smoke them right away. I've had too many good ones dry out on me from neglect.

kcowyo said:
are you sure you're ever going to want to come back home?

We sold our house a couple of years ago and donated most of our stuff to get ready for this. We're more than a year behind schedule on departure because my wife nixed the sailboat, so I had to build this FG.

dhackney

Expedition Leader
charlieaarons said:
You have an absolutely enormous amount of storage space in those steel boxes on the sides. What are they for? Have you calculated your weight with them full of whatever you intend to put in them?

Charlie

Charlie,

The giant box in front is the garage to carry our twin Honda 150cc dirt bikes.

We will be at 16k lbs. when fully loaded. 10k on rear axle, 6k on front.

We're planning on spending 2-3 years exploring the world in the rig, so we'll either (typically) be carrying excess stuff we'll later eject or dragging along things we pick up along the way.

We do carry some supplies we use for a philanthropic thing we do with photography. We go out into the bush untill we find people who have never held a picture of themselves, then we give them one. Instead of taking pictures, we give pictures. This requires we carry several thousand sheets of 4x6 printer paper and corresponding ink ribbons for the twin Canon printers we use for that purpose.

My wife is also planning to teach local kids how to build scrapbooks to put their pictures in, so we'll be carrying supplies for that too.

image016.jpg

image017.jpg

image098.jpg

image120.jpg

image129.jpg

image132.jpg

Doug

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Some nice final touches. Is the overhead console a custom piece or something offered for the Fuso's?

So are you two any closer to setting a firmed up departure date? I'm sure you must be chomping at the bit to get going. :jumping:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
The overhead console is from Tuffy. It's the single compartment model #103. More info here: http://www.tuffyproducts.com/consoles/overhead/103.html

I added the dual dome light (red/white light) and the two map lights. The mounting was custom built by Mark & Brad.

The Tuffy overhead console is steel and is pretty heavy. The radio is easily removable for shipping and secure while parked.

The locking aluminum center console is custom and was fabbed by Mark Johnson of Metal Tech, who did all the custom metal work on the project. It is very light when not loaded with electronics.

The center console is made to be easily removable for rig shipping or long term storage. The GPS antenna, rear video camera feed and the Pioneer head to control unit cable are the only three I have to unplug and fish back out of the console to remove it. All the other cables have quick connects. It does require removal of the sub to get at the rear mounting bolts. I considered leaving them as just studs with no nuts, but opted to fully lock down the console to them since there is so much weight back there with the amp & sub.

Your little bouncing guy icon perfectly illustrates our state of mind regarding getting the heck out of here.

I should be done with the cab in the next day or two and the remaining things will hopefully go pretty fast after that. The "to install" shelves are pretty empty and the white board "to do" list is full of check marks.

The remaining major installs are the chassis relay panel and the fuel filter array.

Remaining wiring/connection includes the air compressor, driving/fog/pencil/reverse lights, garage & passenger side box lights and chassis interconnect panel chassis cables.

The cab has been as much of a quagmire time-wise as the electrical systems compartment. It will be good to get the cab done and get the rest of the items wrapped up.

Sorry for not being better about posting progress reports. I'm working very long days and just don't have the bandwidth right now to maintain a diary of this project. I've tried to caption each photo so you can reconstruct what was going on during that phase of the project.

Doug

freetomeander

All the design, planning and modications, plus your time and expense....big undertaking and my hats off to you. Did you consider just buying an Earthroamer and taking off? Put the cycles on a small capable offroad trailer or front and rear receiver hitch carriers for small bikes? No doubt you did since I can see you are a meticulous planner. Just wondering why that didn't appeal to you. This can't be that much cheaper is it?
We have your basic motorhome and love it. You're going to have a great adventure goin around the world.

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
freetomeander said:
All the design, planning and modifications, plus your time and expense....big undertaking and my hats off to you.

It has been a big undertaking. I've been on it full time, 12-16 hours a day, seven days a week, since mid-Sept. with about 14 total days off in that span. Once we get done I'll try to post up some thoughts on the scale/scope of the project and the effects of so much work, especially the long hours, physically & emotionally.

freetomeander said:
Did you consider just buying an Earthroamer and taking off?

Yes, we did consider them. I called them and talked to them, but did not visit the factory or see a unit in person.

We decided against them for a variety of reasons that now look pretty ludicrous. As I recall they were a) too heavy (we'll be in the same general weight class as an Earthroamer and overweight on our chassis), b) too ostentatious for 3rd world countries we like to travel in (the jury is out on this, but we'll be anything but inconspicuous), c) too big (we'll be every bit as big), d) too complex for 3rd world travel (I think we'll be even more complex), e) too long to take delivery - they could have gotten us one in December 2006 (we'll be done sometime in early April 2007) f) US market chassis (we do have an advantage here with a truly world chassis.

With the Earthroamer we would have enjoyed completely integrated systems, without all the added complexity of interconnecting the chassis/camper/system boxes. This is something I didn't fully appreciate at the time we were making our decisions.

The Earthroamer would have a roomier cab, with much more in the way of factory options available.

Upsides of what we are creating compared to Earthroamer are:
- Fully secure garage / bike storage area
- Tighter turning radius
- Raw water treatment capability

We may have higher capacities in LP & total water, but I'm not sure. I'd have to look that up.

And yes, there have been many, many times during this project when we have revisited our decision matrix.

freetomeander said:
Put the cycles on a small capable offroad trailer or front and rear receiver hitch carriers for small bikes?

We probably would have gone with some type of hitch or bumper/frame mount carriers. We didn't want to deal with a trailer. We've been down those dead end super narrow market town roads with our big GS and wouldn't want to think about backing a trailer out of there.

freetomeander said:
This can't be that much cheaper is it?.

Ours will end up costing less than a 747.

You could duplicate the basics of our rig for under $100k.
Truck: 32k new
Camper: ~30k new
3 point frame and boxes: depends on what your fabricator charges

The rest is all the systems & electronics we've put on it.

freetomeander said:
We have your basic motorhome and love it. You're going to have a great adventure goin around the world.

Thanks for the encouragement. Hugely appreciated. Some days I think that bright glow at the end of the tunnel is a train.

solomon_02.jpg

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Test fit of camper to chassis tonight. I'll be measuring seal / interface, etc. and then we'll pull the camper back off. Plan to do the production / final camper placement in 1-2 days.

It's been four months since the camper was on the chassis and none of us could remember the reference points. It took us three attempts to get it placed correctly. Once we had it on we made liberal use of painter's tape to mark reference points to aid the removal and subsequent final placement.

Measured dimensions at loaded weight are:
Height: 12.04' / 3.67 meters
Width: 8.58' / 2.62 meters (rub rail to rub rail)
Length: 26.17' / 7.98 meters (tip of front bumper to rear bumper)
Ground clearance to xfer case bash plate: 12.5" / .32 meters

Weights to come.

HN7J0727-crop-small.jpg

HN7J0735-crop-small.jpg

IMG_6197-crop-small.jpg

I'll post some more pictures in a few days once we do the production / final install of the camper.

Last edited:

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Scott,

The entire suspension looks a lot happier with the load. I won't know how it handles for a few days until I get a chance to get it out on the road. Just crawling underneath and seeing the spring packs, Bilsteins, rear roll bar and the shocks on the 3 point pivot frame make me feel better about the prospects for improved handling and chassis dynamics.

Based on the "climb up into the camper without the stairs" test we think we achieved about a 2" lift at the rear bumper. I'd guess about 1-1.5" at the front. Unfortunately we didn't measure a hard point before we built and installed the new spring packs, so I can't give you an accurate measurement for improved chassis clearance.

We've now got 7.25-8" of clearance between the rear wheels and the bottom of the storage boxes, which is an improvement of at least an inch. The new chassis spring packs, chassis shocks and 3 point pivot frame shocks should also help limit, if not eliminate, the box/wheel contact we experienced in our alpha & beta tests.

I'll be taking the chassis up to weigh it before we put the camper on, then weighing everything fully loaded & wet. If we can coordinate it, I'm going to use a flatbed wrecker to ramp up the front axle and get the weights needed to calculate the roll center.

Doug

dhackney

Expedition Leader
Quick update:

Connected the BGAN terminal tonight and got immediate lockup with the bird @230k.

Skymate remains intermittant. I haven't done any troubleshooting on that yet.

All other systems nominal.

Updated dimensional/capacity data:
  • Project: Hackney Expedition Vehicle
  • Goal: Self-sufficient, Self-Extracting Global Expedition Vehicle
  • Mission: 2 - 3 years of unsupported exploration primarily in developing countries
  • Project time: One year
  • Build time: Nine months
  • Project type: Private
  • Funding: Privately funded, no commercial sponsorships, endorsements, financial or product support
  • Concept design: Douglas Hackney - inspired by an FG/Bigfoot design of Carl Hunter
  • Bumpers, frame extension, pivot frame, storage box, etc. design and implementation: Mark Johnson
  • Electrical, plumbing, electronics, etc. systems design and implementation: Douglas Hackney
  • Custom storage boxes: Fleet Metal Box
  • Powder Coating: Jerico Metal Fabrication and Powdercoat
  • Chassis: 2007 Mitsubishi Fuso FG 140 4x4
  • Camper: 2006 Bigfoot 20C10.11FR
  • Engine type: DOHC 4-stroke cycle, water-cooled, turbocharged, intercooled diesel
  • Power: 147 HP @2700 RPM / 108.12 KW
  • Torque: 347 ft/lb (lbf/ft) @1600 RPM / 47.97 kgf/m
  • Displacement: 299 c.i. / 4.899 liters
  • Bore/Stroke: 4.49x4.72" / 114x120mm
  • Drivetrain: four wheel drive, manually selected, dual range
  • Front axle: open
  • Rear axle: limited slip
  • Transmission: 5 speed manual
  • Overall gear ratio (1st Gear - Low 4 Wheel Drive): 64.2:1
  • Tires: Mud & Snow Yokohama Y-7428 LT742 235/85R16; 3 polyester plies sidewall, 2 steel plies tread
  • Spare tires & wheels: two
  • Overall length: 27.17' / 7.98 meters (tip of front bumper to rear bumper)
  • Overall height: 12.04' / 3.67 meters
  • Overall width: 8.58' / 2.62 meters (rub rail to rub rail)
  • Front axle track: 65.6" / 166.62cm
  • Centerline to centerline rear duals: 10.75" / 273.05mm
  • Outer edge of tire tread to outer edge of tire tread - front: 71.75" / 1822.45 mm (stock tires)
  • Outer edge of tire tread to outer edge of tire tread - rear: 79.00" / 2006.60mm (stock tires)
  • Wheelbase: 154" 12' 10" / 3.91 meters
  • Turning radius: 28.2' / 8.56 meters (outer tread edge of outer front tire)
  • Mid Wheelbase ground clearance: 15" / .381 meters (stock tires)
  • Minimum ground clearance: 12.5" (xfer case skid plate) / .318 meters (stock tires)
  • Front differential ground clearance - max load: 8.5" / 215.9mm (stock tires)
  • Rear differential ground clearance - max load: 7.625" / 193.68mm (stock tires)
  • Horizontal centerline front differential, max load: 14.375" / 365.13mm (stock tires)
  • Horizontal centerline rear differential, max load: 14.125" / 358.78mm (stock tires)
  • Breakover: 79 degrees (from vertical at mid wheelbase), 11 degrees from wheels (stock tires)
  • Approach angle: 29.4 degrees (to front cab step) (stock tires)
  • Departure angle: 17.1 degrees (to departure caster wheels) (stock tires)
  • Top of rear wheel to box: 7.25" / .184 meters (stock tires)
  • Bottom of frame rail to ground @ rear axle: 26.5" / .673 meters (stock tires)
  • Bottom of frame rail to ground @ front axle: 29.5" / .749 meters (stock tires)
  • Chassis (everything except the camper) % of total weight: 63%
  • Camper % of total weight: 37%
  • Front axle % of total: 36%
  • Rear axle % of total: 64%
  • Left side % of total: 51%
  • Right side % of total: 49%
  • Left front % of total: 19%
  • Right front % of total: 17%
  • Left rear % of total: 33%
  • Right rear % of total: 30%
  • Center of gravity behind front axle: 98.14" / 249.28cm
  • Center of gravity from passenger outer tread: 36.19" / 91.92cm
  • Center of gravity height: 72.28" / 183.59cm
  • Maximum left roll angle: 26.20
  • Maximum right roll angle: 26.60
  • Maximum back roll angle: 37.70
  • Maximum front roll angle: 53.63
  • Shocks: Bilstein
  • Springs: Deaver
  • Rear sway bar: 1.25" / 31.75mm x 36" / 91.44cm
  • Camper & storage box frame: three point pivot
  • Pivot frame suspension: 50/50 Fox shocks
  • Fuel capacity: ~100 gallons / 378.54 liters
  • Range: >1,000 miles / 1,609 kilometers
  • Fuel tanks: dual saddle
  • Fuel filters: dual one micron with online hot swap backup
  • Genset fuel rate: ~.2 gallons / .76 liters per hour
  • Air compressor: 4 cfm / 113.27 liters per minute
  • Air tank: 4 gallon / 15.14 liters
  • Maximum system working pressure: 150 psi / 1034 kpa / 10.34 bar
  • Air seats: dual, 3" stroke, 5 air bladders, heated
  • Air horns: triple, 152 decibels
  • Drinking water capacity: ~75 gallons / ~284 liters
  • Gray water: 32 gallons / 122 liters
  • Black water: 32 gallons / 122 liters
  • Macerator pump output hose: 75 feet / 22.86 meters
  • LP capacity: ~20 gallons / 75.7 liters
  • House bank batteries: 840 amp hours
  • House bank dedicated alternator: 135 amps
  • Solar panel output: 19 amps
  • External AC input: 120/220 VAC / 60HZ, 30 amps single phase
  • Guest power output: 120/220 VAC / 60 HZ, 20 amps single phase
  • Diesel genset: 30 amps 120V single phase
  • Inverter: 3000 watts, 120V single phase
  • Raw water input: any fresh water source
  • Drinking water filtration: <1 micron
  • Drinking water purification: activated charcoal, Ultraviolet light sterilization
  • Input pump rate: 7 gallons per minute / 26.5 liters per minute
  • Internet access: global
  • Bandwidth: >200kbs
  • Voice communications access: dual global, cab and camper external antennas for primary, camper external antenna for backup
  • Local voice communications: GSM 3G
  • Low data rate access: global
  • Emergency Beacons: EPIRB 406 MHZ global
  • Radios: VHF (bike to bike, bike to truck), CB (US band)
  • GPS: one fixed, three portable, cab and camper external antennas
  • Front winch: 16,500 lbs. / 7,484 kilos
  • Rear winch: 16,500 lbs. / 7,484 kilos
  • LAN: Gigabit Ethernet
  • WLAN: 802.11g
  • Data storage: 2TB configured as 1.5TB RAID5
  • Document handling: color scanner/copier/ink jet printer 8.5x11" / 21.59x27.94cm
  • Photo printing: 4x6" / 10.16x15.24cm dye sublimation
  • Cab video: DVD playback, rear color camera w/microphone
  • Cab stereo: 300 watts, four 4.5" / 114.3mm drivers, one 10" / 254mm subwoofer
  • Camper stereo: 70 watts, four 5.25" / 133.35mm drivers
  • Camper TV: 21" / 53.34cm LCD HD (US standard ATSC)
  • Camper TV sound: 5 channel Dolby/DTS wireless headphones
  • Campter TV playback: upconverting DVD
  • iPod integration: cab and camper
  • Berth: fixed ~60x80" / 152.4cm/203.2cm
  • Head: dry, fixed shower
  • Range/cooktop: three burner
  • Oven: convection microwave
  • Furnace/heater: 30,000 BTU
  • Water heater: 6 gallons / 23 liters
  • Refrigerator (3 way: LP, 12VDC, 120VAC): 6 cf / 169 liters
  • Air conditioner: 11,000 BTU
  • Galley sink: dual
  • Integrated exterior LP Grill: 12,000 BTU stainless steel
  • Primary chassis materials: steel, stainless steel, aluminum
  • Primary camper materials: chopped mat fiberglass & wood ply sandwich cored with injected foam, wood, single layer fiberglass
  • Camper glass: dual pane
  • Camper leveling jacks: electric / manual
  • Fire extinguishers: Four ABC type (cab - 1; storage boxes - 1, camper - 2)
  • Ditch bags: two
  • Vehicle recovery kits: one
  • Winch line extensions: two
  • Winch anchor: 14,000 lbs / 6,350 kg capacity
  • Hand tools: ax, cross bow saw, pick, short and long shovel, pry bar
  • Pneumatic impact wrench: 1/2" / 12.7mm 500 ft/lb / 69.13 kgf/m
  • Locking external storage capacity: 268.01cubic feet / 7.59 cubic meters / 7,589 liters
  • Camper internal storage: 92.98 cubic feet / 2.63 cubic meters / 2,633 liters
  • Total storage: 360.99 cubic feet / 10.22 cubic meters / 10,222 liters
  • Auxiliary vehicle storage capacity: two motorcycles up to 94" / 238.76 cm long and 48" / 121.92cm high (taller bikes can be accommodated if you compress the forks)

We plan to weigh the full rig tomorrow. We are just about fully packed so this is a representative load.

Almost complete. Just a few trim items and a couple of guard plates to add.

Updated photos follow.

IMG_6907-crop-small.jpg

IMG_6910-crop-small.jpg

IMG_6911-crop-small.jpg

IMG_6914-crop-small.jpg

IMG_6916-crop-small.jpg

IMG_6918-crop-small.jpg

IMG_6852-small.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members