Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

justageek

Haven't seen much talk about the "W" version lately but I'm interested in that option. I think I'll get some tape and lay out both sizes on my garage floor and see which one better holds all my carp. Depending on the results I may begin lobbying "whatever company" for a wide kit.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Haven't seen much talk about the "W" version lately but I'm interested in that option. I think I'll get some tape and lay out both sizes on my garage floor and see which one better holds all my carp. Depending on the results I may begin lobbying "whatever company" for a wide kit.
"Carp" you say? :Wow1: If you want to make an aquarium out of it you could assemble the tub with two solid end panels instead of a solid in the front and a tailgate panel in the back. I'm sure you could seal everything up so the tub would actually become a "tub" and hold water for your "carp".

I know you meant "crap" but I just couldn't resist answering that way :).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A few shots of the tent stowed. You'll have to imagine it sitting on top of the fiberglass hard cover for the trailer, right now it's just thrown on some boards across the tub...

RTTClosed1_zpse25915de.jpg

RTTClosed2_zpsd8771399.jpg

RTTClosed3_zps3063fa8b.jpg

rockwood

Adventurer
Jscherb: Thanks for your reply. You've got a really clear vision of the market for this trailers and that's vital to the success of the project.

Kudos.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
It's official - a company has now signed up to manufacture and market the military tub kit! It's not my place to reveal the name of the company, they plan on making an announcement later this week.

I can tell you this is a company known for their expertise will small trailers and campers and off-road camping. This company will do a great job with this kit! This week I'll be packing up the mold masters to deliver to them so they can begin making their production molds. They are planning availability of the kit sometime this summer.

Stay tuned, I'll reveal more information as I'm permitted.

FJC Scout

Observer
It's official - a company has now signed up to manufacture and market the military tub kit! It's not my place to reveal the name of the company, they plan on making an announcement later this week.

I can tell you this is a company known for their expertise will small trailers and campers and off-road camping. This company will do a great job with this kit! This week I'll be packing up the mold masters to deliver to them so they can begin making their production molds. They are planning availability of the kit sometime this summer.

Stay tuned, I'll reveal more information as I'm permitted.

Great news!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Sweeeeeeet.......like we ever had doubts!!!!

I had my doubts - after all I do these projects as a hobby, not as a business, and when I start a project I never know if some company might be interested or not. So I do them for my own enjoyment and satisfaction, and if a company comes along and wants it, that's a bonus to me. In this case there was more than one company interested, so the chances ended up being pretty good. :).

Last edited:

ReconZJ

Observer
That's great news! Gives me a little while to figure out where to store a trailer now, so I can build one. And once again, you did an excellent job on it, Jeff! Gary

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

jscherb

Expedition Leader
For my tent mockup photos, as I said I had the tent setting on some 2-by wood lying across the top edge of the tub, but the tent could easily be mounted on the trailer even without the fiberglass hard cover (or a DIY-built wooden cover), by attaching rack bars to the tub:

RackBars_zps25b9f1a2.jpg

Thule rack bars on tall stanchions can be mounted to "fake rain gutter" plates bolted to the sides of the tub. Then the snap-on tonneau cover goes underneath for weatherproof protection and easy access for the cargo inside the trailer.

The rack bar approach is a good one if you plan to use the trailer for multiple purposes - remove the tent from the rack bars and you could put your kayaks on the rack bars, or bring plywood home from the lumberyard on them. Remove the rack bars and you've got full access to the bed for tall cargo.

Or the tent could be mounted on the fiberglass hard cover I've got planned...

CoverMilitary1_zps29d4e37c.jpg

Or an easy-to-build DIY plywood cover:

HardCover10_zpsf975d97b.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The company that's licensed the military trailer kit from me has posted some information on pricing and availability in my main build thread on the Trailer Adventuring Forum: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119-post-2782.html#pid2782. They also tell me they'll be updating their web site either Friday or Saturday with more details.

On a related note, I shipped the mold masters to them today so they can begin making their production molds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach

Members online