Florida Tacoma build

Scott Brady

Founder
Really nice work Brian. Sorry I missed your call. I was in the mountains :)

Are you running some additional signal and power lines in the bundles? It is nice to have a few extra's already run for future mods.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Here is where the loom comes up from the frame and into the cab. The red wires in the fire wall ar to and from the battery isolator from the alt to the main battery.

P7220161.jpg

Here is a shot of the passengers side dash. Air guage with on/off switch battery monitor red switch selects battery. 3 black switches for offroad lights. As you can see the radio was removed. for something better

P7220160.jpg

Here is a larger look at the dash.

P7220170.jpg

A closer look at something better then a radio!!!

f9490604.jpg

There is a 12v outlet in the box which you can't see in the pics. I still have to wire up my 2 arb switches and add 2 12v plug ins to the cab but then it's done. I have used cable clamps to mount all harnesses to frame of fire wals to secure them. I think it is turning out very good so far. I plan on redoing my wiring diagrams and getting them laminated and mounted inside the top of the tool box lid.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Really nice work Brian. Sorry I missed your call. I was in the mountains :)

Are you running some additional signal and power lines in the bundles? It is nice to have a few extra's already run for future mods.

Yes we have 3 power wires behind the dash for extra's. There is also a ground block behind the dash so it all ties in together neatly.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Man, that is a lot of stuff in a short time. I am having ExWest taco flashbacks... LOL. It looks great. I see you got the color unit - Lucky dog! So what will you do for tunes? (no tunes?) Where do you plan to put press. regulator and solenoids for the lockers?

:lurk:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Well the solenoids will be on the back side of the tank. Switches will be on the dash next to the black ones.

My preseeure switch is the 80-105 psi unit so no pressure regulator is needed.

We have decided to forgo the cd player for now. will use my portable xm for the big drive. I'm thinking when I get back from Idaho. I might make a nice fiberglass overhead console for the radio and possible ham unit. Since I used to work in a composite shop I know how to build composite stuff from scratch.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
10-4 on the solenoids, switches and regulator.

Composite project - now that sounds fun. I would really enjoy trying that sometime. I have had ideas about custom panels and pods that would improve the layout. I'll be iterested to see what you come up with if you decide to do it.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ok a few pics from yesteday. We got all the odds and ends on the electrical done. mainly just securing wire harneses etc.

Installed the Bilsteins.

2dbc56d0.jpg

Somethings missing!

P7290171.jpg

P7290173.jpg

90dddf2e.jpg

Hopefully wednesday we will have the reinstaled and the truck will be ready for a test run!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Since I was behind schedule and I wouldn't be able to start the gear assembly till wednesday I decided to drop them off at a local shop to have them set up. They are charging $180 per axle to set the gears and arb's up. I think it's a deal. So Wedneday afternoon I will have both the front axle and rear third remounted and ready to test out.

My new u joints, axle seals, wheel bearing, belts, hoses and all in. We will replace the seals and bearing but I will carry the hoses, belts and u joints as spares since he existing ones look good.

Everyone keep your fingers crossed LOL! Vaction starts wednesday so every day after that is a day lost on the trail somewhere :eek:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
IT RUNS WOOHOO. well sort of LOL. I started the long drive home last night. 10 miles and then 30 minute stop, for 100 miles. Got home at 4:30 this morning. It drives great. I'm very happy with the street feel of the new OME suspension. Can't wait to get it off road. the Navigation is the bomb.

The only problem I'm having so far is witht he charging system. I think the isolator I have is shot or it could possibly be the stock alternator just flat out is to weak. I am getting ready to dive into that. I have to bypass my isolator system on the wy home last night cause I was getting 0 charge tot he batteries. I'm going to try and make one quick reconfigure today and that will tell my if it's the isolator ir if I need a bigger alternator.

The 4.88 gears have mad a huge difference from those 3.57's! I babied it driving last night but can tell by the rpm's at 45mph that there is a major difference.

Ramdough

Adventurer
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I think we need another emoticon with more drool.... this one does not drool enough!

Nice Work!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
I don't recall, but isn't there a sense wire connection req'd for the Tacoma alternator when used with the diode-type isolators? If that isn't connected, maybe it is not sensing the voltage properly - just an idea.

Glad to hear it is on the road and you like it!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ok so I got out the volt meter today and started testing. After about 10 minutes I busted out laughing. We accidentally put the wire that runs from the alt to the isolator on the battery 1 output terminal and the batery wire on the isolator in terminal. As soon as I sswitched those 2 wires everything was fine. Of course in the process of unhooking ky primary battiers positive terminal I accidentally touched the snap on 1/4 inch drive tot he new batteyr hold down bracket. Lots of sparks (enough I jumped back like a school girl LOL). By the time i realized what happened and grabbed the wrenchit got so hot I burned my hand and had welded the damn wrench and socket together LOL! I also snapped the allen head off the socket and it stuck intot he termianl allen screw. Another 10 minutes of fidgeting and I got out the broken allen head LOL!

Any way long story short, gears are broke in, ARB lockers are working, No air leaks to be detedted and electrical is 100% operational. All systems are a go!!! IDAHO HERE WE COME!!! Packing the truck tomorow.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ok almost ready for baja. Got in my parts from TRD4U today. so I will get them installed by Friday, when my 5 new Maxxis Big Horn MT's are scheduled to arrive. 255/85/16 so I'm joining the ranks. Picked all 5 up for $630 shipped from select tire. I also got a super sweet deal on some lightly used enkei 6 spoke aluminum wheels. 150 for 5 so I'm all set for baja!

I still need to fab up a mount for my extra gas cans but that is no big deal. I may also may be pulling a Campa trailer to Ensenada for delivery but that is not decided yet. Waiting for Chris from Campa to confirm this week.

I will also know for sure by thursday but I might be getting a free suspension upgrade for the truck. So I may have to switch out the OME suspension for another much more highend system but that install is a snap and can be done in a day. I'll let you guys know if the sponsorship comes through.

Counting the days to Nov 9th!!! :jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven