Florida Tacoma build

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
pics with new and old wheels. The new whels had some swampers on them so they are on there till friday when the new maxxis tires show up.

old rims 15x7 steel six spole

oldwheels.jpg

New to me used rims 16x7 enkei 6 spoke

newwheels.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Final pic with the new Maxxis 255/85/16 and enkei 16x7 wheels

sideshot.jpg

The spare mounted in factory location.

sparetireshot.jpg

Now I have a little wider stance aven though these tires are not as wide as my old 31x10.50 bfg tires. obviously due to rims.

fronttireshot.jpg

reartireshot.jpg

I have done the obvious pinch weld mods and so far have had no rubbing in the wheel well even after a little jump yesterday. I am getting rub on the drivers side frame rail close tot he firewall at full left lock. What's wierd is I do not get this on the passengers sde at full right lock.

Even at road pressure it is amazing how much the taller tire smoothes out the corrogations in the trail.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
How did your Maxxis tires do in Baja, especially the sand? Heck, how'd all the recent mods do? :costumed-smiley-007

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Thanks for asking chuck,

I know we have been slow to get a trip report done. I have everything typed up I have just had a hard time getting and organsing all the pics to go with the report.

Anyway. I'm very happy with the bighorn tires. Although I did take out my drivers side fender on a "little" jump (not so little) when I came down hard on the d-side and it pushed up into the fender. I had trimmed the pinch weld but since the tire sticks out it bent up the sheet metal between the tire and the cab door. Oh well. looks like a new fender and a saws all someday.

The bighorns performed excellent in all conditions. Sand was no issue. I was very happy on road as well. Hell even pulling the campa through some head light deep crossings was no problem. The only time I got stuck was busting a u turn in the mud flat. I got out over the hard crusty layer and fell through. I don't care if you had 40's you were not getting out with out a winch.

The only mechanical problem I had in baja was my front arb line ruptured. The wierd thing is I ran it inside the frame rail from the mid point of the truck and out of the frame up front. somewhere in the frame it busted. I have not fixed anything on my truck from the trip yet but am anxious to determine why it broke.

Hell I had more issues trying to get home for thanksgiving on the road trip back then anything else. It's all my wifes fault. She prayed for me to make back into the states rather then home and that's what happened. after I crossed the border in mexicali all hell broke loose LOL! but that's another story for another day.

final aswer..bighorns 2 thumbs up:exclaim:

Nullifier said:
I am getting rub on the drivers side frame rail close tot he firewall at full left lock. What's wierd is I do not get this on the passengers sde at full right lock.
thats usually the alignment...the rear cams are probably at slightly different horizontal positions, one is close enough in to show a little rub.

it can be corrected...i dont remember if youre running adjustable coilovers or not, but make sure they're dead even side to side, then have a chat with the aligning technician and see if you can get both cams as far out as possible and still get a proper alignment. all the guys ive talked to at alignment shops are willing to give this a shot, just gotta find a shop that's cool and will let you talk to the guy actually doing the work :p.

-sean

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I am running the ome suspension but I'm running trimpackers on the d side. I will look intot he alignment thing again. I just had it done before I left for baja but if that solves the issue I'll shell out some more $ for it cause it drives me crazy.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
devinsixtyseven said:
thats usually the alignment...the rear cams are probably at slightly different horizontal positions, one is close enough in to show a little rub.

it can be corrected...i dont remember if youre running adjustable coilovers or not, but make sure they're dead even side to side, then have a chat with the aligning technician and see if you can get both cams as far out as possible and still get a proper alignment. all the guys ive talked to at alignment shops are willing to give this a shot, just gotta find a shop that's cool and will let you talk to the guy actually doing the work :p.

-sean

I have the same rub with my truck, just on the one side frame rail. Had it with both the 255s and the 285s. I'll mention it to Firestone next time I have an alignment done.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
expeditionswest said:
Mine only rub on one side too. I think it is just a frame shape issue

thanks guys now i do not feel like a a super freak. Scott ond Chuck do you guys have fender issues too? specifically at the bottom of the fender lip toward the cab. you know where the lowest mounting point for the inner fender liner is. I have crushed that in with the tire from stuffing it at speed. the only way I can see to correct the issue is to cut the fneder back some.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Nullifier said:
thanks guys now i do not feel like a a super freak. Scott ond Chuck do you guys have fender issues too? specifically at the bottom of the fender lip toward the cab. you know where the lowest mounting point for the inner fender liner is. I have crushed that in with the tire from stuffing it at speed. the only way I can see to correct the issue is to cut the fneder back some.

Hey Brian, look at the pics on my tire page and you'll see where I had to cut away some plastic and then put in something more recessed. I still rub on a hard compression.

mine currently rubs just a little at full lock after the last alignment...didn't in the past. when the forward cam is pulled in, the steering knuckle goes forward and inward, increasing caster (which is good) and increasing camber (which can be good or bad)...everything is pivoting around the upper ball joint. when the rear cam is pushed out, caster is increased again, but camber decreases. the rear cam position has a range of lateral movement around two inches or something, i forget otoh, so during the alignment you can go from not rubbing at all to having the tire act like the frame's in heat.

the frame is the same side to side, but the engine bay is asymmetrical (at least on my truck)...dunno why offhand but probably something to do with routing connections past the engine--i can tell by the way the inner fender sheetmetal hangs over the coil bucket on each side.

with adjustable coilovers, it can be very difficult to get everything dead level side to side when it's on the stand--driver weight, fuel weight, stuff in the bed, etc...the result is one coilover is higher than the other, and the higher coilover is low on caster and camber from the upper control arm sitting at a deeper angle (pointed toward the ground more). since you're adjusting caster over a range of about two degrees, even a little difference in height side to side (like 0.5") creates enough change to caster and camber that evening everything side to side results in either different mounting surface dimensions side to side as measured from the centerline of the truck, or a sacrifice in camber on one side to keep caster high and equal on both sides so the truck runs flat and stable.

if you're only rubbing on one side, look at the alignment cam positions. ideally, both pairs of cams should be at the exact same setting, just mirrored side to side. one pair is probably set different; if that's the case, check that the truck sits exactly level side to side.

once youre certain the truck is level, talk to the alignment tech and let him know what you're after. you might have to play with it a little (helps if youre standing next to the machine), and give the tech an acceptable range of numbers, for instance caster as high as possible (limit of mfr's spec) and camber within spec vs. a particular number.

hope that helps & makes sense.

-sean

erin

Explorer
Mine barely rubs the frame on the drivers side, just enough to etch the paint on the frame. My biggest problem is the bottom lip on the fender flair, I always catch that thing in the front for sure, and in the rear as well, but under real hard flex only.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
my latest purchase

Well guys I have been talking about it for long enough. I got aline on one and luck has turned my way. I have a buddy bringing it down to me from ohio this feb. I will get started on the swap after I get back home from the Galapagos so it will be April before I get out the tools for this one. But I should have it done end of april early may. I just simply need more cab space. The reg cab is great for short whel base but the wife hates it and I want to carry my valubles in the cab rather then in the bed.

xtracab.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven