Forest Service Road Adventure Mobile

subterran

Adventurer
One other complaint that the Compressor Fridges solve is the need to be pretty level when parked for the Propane Fridges to work properly. I have converted over to 12v compressor units for just that reason.

Runt

Adventurer
Up date is I have decided to go with a Tundra with a 5.7 L and another Phenoix Camper. The new camper will have all the changes and tweaks I learned from the first one. All minor stuff really. Larger ARB fridge, diffrent layout, added shower, diffrent storage set up etc. Head down next month to pick up the new camper and have CBI Off Road do there their thing to the Tundra.

DaMann

How much payload was your last rig holding? I'm curious cause I just bought a tacoma dual cab long box and will be putting a camper on it. Dry weight 350kg. Just curious what your last payload was. If i would have known I probably would have bought your last setup!!!

homeyclaus

We upgraded to a Tundra 5.7L Crewmax a short while ago - they're awesome. I can't wait to see pictures of your new set-up and to see how it does up north. My sister used to live in Port Simpson, and then Nelson, so I spent some time up that way, and will take my family traveling up there once the kids get older.

blueridge

Lessons learned

Can you share your lessons learned with the Tacoma and Phoenix. They apparently have lead to purchase a Tundra and order a new Phoenix with modifications to your original camper.

What did you learn and what have you changed?

Thanks for your insights ...

Runt

Adventurer
Hello All,
Whats the same as the old camper:
Extra insulation everywhere…..that's about it.

So here is what I we tweaked on my beloved Tacoma camper and set up going to a Tundra:

First off the new Tundra Phoenix camper is amazing! Rob is getting better and better in my opinion. Features added to this one are numerous. Rob built this one well…..where to start. Ok going from back to front…. The new CBI off road bumper in the back now holds four 20 L fuel cans or two cans and a chain saw or what have you on the other side. It's built a lot more sturdy then the Tacoma bumper. Has the axe, shovel & highlift carrier still but they all lock now with drop down table still. Steve at CBI really out did himself on this one…..wicked bumper! In my opinion its perfect!

The new camper now has a cassette toilet/shower set up with hot water on demand and fantastic fan above. The generator compartment is on the other side as a result and the door is slightly smaller so 12” generators required, however the compartment itself is larger and everything is keyed alike. An external BBQ hook up that utilizes the larger on board 30 lb propane tank saves space. Lights are LED now and are wired to the camper dual 6V's instead of the truck. Switch inside camper still and also in truck to use as extra back up lighting. Rear awning added along with a passenger side awning.

Going inside the floor has truck box liner coating that goes a few inches up the cabinets instead of linoleum. Also had extra D-loops added and larger hallway to accommodate storage of this:

Latches are flush mount this time so gear in alley way does not get hung up on them. Went with the flush mount to counter sink stove combo. Added a larger ARB fridge freezer on a slide out this time. Fridge access also through flip up counter top without using slide. An external access to under bed storage with top down.

An extra bed platform that turns the bottom dinette area into another queen sized bed. A bunk bed as well. The battery compartment is compartmentalized with storage above it with 12V and 110V outlets to charge my electronics. Holds laptop and GPS units etc. safely while traveling and charging at same time. Industrial type of heat tape and insulation on all the lines. Extra removable noseeum netting I can add….i.e. supper fine mesh. Bugs get nasty up here! Added a hugh sky light over the top bed that doubles as a escape hatch and or can be used with a telescope or target shoot out of the top. Heavier duty D-Loop and larger ratchet tie down system for the camper. Went with a full CBI front bumper this time instead of the stealth winch cradle mount. Only a 3” lift but still 35's. Keeping the motor stock for now. Probably forgetting a few things lol.

What I learned:

Tacoma's are great but don't have adequate braking power for a camper and hauling a trailer with two sleds. They only reason for going with the Tundra.
Girls don't like porta podies or showering outside with a shower bag.
I tail gate is a waste of space and annoying. Makes getting in and out difficult with a pop up camper due to the angle of the entry.
Solar panel system and dual 6V is all you need 95 % of the time.
60L ARB fridge is adequate for four people but the 78L fridge is better.
Linoleum is not tough enough & snow tracked in gets sucked up by cabinets……truck bed lined the floors & lower four inches of cabinets this time.
Needed a larger water tank…..20 gallons now.

R&R - bit of target shooting in Great Beaver Lk Pit

Bobtail Lake camp

Nation River camp spot

Last edited:

verdesardog

Explorer
Looking good but I still see the hilift in a vulnerable location, I would at least get a cover for it to keep the dust and mud off of it. You do want it to work when you need it without cleaning and lubing it first. LOL

Runt

Adventurer
I have a cover over the guts which is made of a wet suit material ..... served me well in the past. The full fabric covers seem to rot quickly up here from the salt. Found the wetsuit one worked better even though it does not look as good due to the foot and rail get rusty. I have never found a good way to store a high lift.....so bulky and heavy but worth it when you need them lol.

Last edited:

graynomad

Photographer, traveller
I have never found a good way to store a high lift
The only really good way I've seen is on the old 40-series LCs where you stood them up on the running board, I never did it myself so don't know how practical it was but it sure looked great.

96Delica

Adventurer
TWO awesome trucks in a row, really, really nice. Dream trucks and job!! :bowdown:

I love that you went from the all white to the all black/grey. Looks very well thought out and properly used!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater