Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
how would a bumper prevent an impact G sensor from working? I could see it making the crumple zones not work as designed. but if anything the airbag would deploy at a lower collision speed than designed due to lack of crumple.

Marc1904

Different
how would a bumper prevent an impact G sensor from working? I could see it making the crumple zones not work as designed. but if anything the airbag would deploy at a lower collision speed than designed due to lack of crumple.

I haven't looked in to it much. Just going by what the fab shops and dealership have told me.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
over the years I have found dealerships to be the worst source of information.

I would encourage you to research how the airbag systems work in your car. I know that Subaru uses an accelerometer so as long as the sensor isn't disconnected it will deploy at a certain threshold. typically ~30mph.

Marc1904

Different
over the years I have found dealerships to be the worst source of information.

I would encourage you to research how the airbag systems work in your car.

meh.. not too interested... I was just going to mount a tube bumper anyways. :)
so far it does seem that the Subaru service people are more knowledgable then most dealerships i've ever visited. it's kind of nice.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
We found the problem...

I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to sound like this:

Nor should the #2 rod/piston have an eighth-of-an-inch of play. :elkgrin:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
dang I hate when you get a drop in motor and that happens...
thus the reason I tore down my diesel donor before my transplant.

So what now?

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Afraid I have to subsribe! Wife just bought 2002 Forester. She was driving a Honda Fit, liked it a lot but needed something to negotiate the 3/4 mile farm track that we call a driveway...

She giggled like a school girl when I started showing her pics of lifted Foresters :bike_rider:

Maybe... we could just... (how many dollars have been spent after that phrase)

Jrally

Adventurer
I have a '00 model EJ251 engine sitting in my garage, awaiting for a project that I've shelved. I'm not sure of the mileage, as I bought it from someone else who also bought it for a sandrail project that never happened. As a good, core engine, I'd be willing to sell it at a fair price, if you're interested.

-Jon

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Second on the STI swap.... And also swap the STI driveline with the DCCD which also allows you to lock the center diff or put up to 65% torque to the rear, as well as front and rear limited slip differentials. Would be super drivable and able to put down incredible traction. Since the Forrester is based off the Impreza, it should be fairly doable too.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
Second on the STI swap.... And also swap the STI driveline with the DCCD which also allows you to lock the center diff or put up to 65% torque to the rear, as well as front and rear limited slip differentials. Would be super drivable and able to put down incredible traction. Since the Forrester is based off the Impreza, it should be fairly doable too.

for less money you could add a clutch pack rear diff and install the center diff lock switch (if it is an auto). If it is not an auto, you can add the 20kg center diff and be pretty well off.

Stev0

Problem with the STI motor, or any forced induction motor is the lack of torque when going slow. The Ej251 is a great motor that can easily chug around at 900rpm in low 1st. Its a little underpowered, but it has good torque between 1500-3500 rpm. My XT sucked at 1000rpm. The turbo lag on the trail either meant, no power or roosting everybody with rocks.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Having had an STi, stock, power doesn't happen until 3,500 rpm. I heard you can program the engines and start getting usable power at 3,000 rpm.

From my previous off road experience, that sucks. Need a little more oomph at the low end. I just can't imagine having the rev the crap out of the engine and spin tires all over the place, trying to get up a hill. There is no way that can't get your blood pressure up.

Also if you want to start talking about relability, forget the STi engine! Despite being stock, I had that car at the shop a few times to get various whatnots replaced. Also needed a clutch at 30k. 2nd gear was starting to get wacky on me (before 30k on the car) and apparently this is a common problem with them.

Flipside, the 6 speed was aaaawwweeesssooommmeee. Center lockable diff was kinda stupid, I always selected "open" when on normal pavement. Gave me 2 more mpg. However when traction was low, it was like the fun-o-meter. Dial it back to 90% rear power for more fun. Front and rear LSDs were clutch as well.

So yeah, get that 6 cylinder engine, bet it has decent power throughout the band, won't suck fuel miserably. STi for pavement and have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77