Forester: ExPo Subaru Project

Humvette

Adventurer
This project needs to happen!

I just bought an 2008 STI to do light camping out of. Gas mileage was killing me!!!

I know it will not do crazy offroad, but it will get me to any campsite i want to go to :)
M

Ronct110

Adventurer
Still watching this thread.

Although not the same year as the 03 Expo project here, looking forward to seeing what I can apply on our new 2011 Forester. Just picked it up @ the dealership.

I like the easy access for doing oil filter changes. And seems the 3rd gen rides quiter and more solid frame (less rattling vs older 1998 Forester) on dirt trails.

Hope to see this Expo Subaru project finally coming to fruition; good luck and will keep on watching this thread!

Attachments

• DSC_0728.JPG
    DSC_0728.JPG
    450.4 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0732.JPG
    DSC_0732.JPG
    449 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
yes there is some progress. the engine has been purchased, now we need to get it to Prescott and install it.
With Scott now back from Australia, I am hoping some more progress very soon!

Ronct110

Adventurer
Hey Christian, thanks for the update; met you during the Expo Rally @ Hollister last year; my wife, kids and I were in the Defender 110 Camel Trophy truck; side note, there is a BAM (Bay Area Meet) for Subaru owners in Alameda coming up. I am planning to attend.

Hoping the next round, the Expo Subaru Project will be ready for its debut; I can see a side gathering of Expo members w/Subies in the next event; good time to also showcase Overland Journal; I can send you the link if interested; c yah!

Ron

Ozarker

Are you using Fram filters? Do they improve MPG?

Edited: Sorry for the interuption

Last edited:

casm

Observer
The replacement motor should ship tomorrow!

Good news :sombrero:

Is the overall build plan still the same? My '99 is finally running again and I'm figuring out the build part beyond the springs, so I'm definitely up for swapping notes.

Scott Brady

Founder
The plan is still the same. It also looks like the car is pretty easy to work on too, with a small motor and easy to access mounting, etc.

We will make it a fun little machine.

Pedro

Capitan rally fluffer
There is a threaded recovery point somewhere on the front bumper. It is pretty stout, I have snatched multiple rally cars using that. the ring is in the toolkit somewhere. The best option for the back is a trailer hitch. if you want to get really fancy, unbolt the factory tiedowns and have someone fab up a real recovery point using the original attachment points and a bar between them to spread the load.

Primitive racing has the best skid plate available right now with an extention to cover the trans. add one to the rear diff, and for rocker protection, pull the factory plastic rockers, and carbon/kevlar them for 5-6 layers that will get you through most everything. you can also add pin style jack points and use a converted Radflow hydraulic jack or an exhaust jack.

If you are going to go crazy with it I would suggest plating the strut mounting points. every once in a while I have seen them break through under severe rally duty. The only other underbody that you may want would protect the floors. the rally cars use HDPE or LDPE sheets. they are nice and slippery on rocks and other debris.

good luck, and if you have any subaru specific questions, send me a PM. I am a rally tech, and have seen and worked on quite a few of these machines.

Oh and look up the 4EAT CDL mod. that one should suit your end use well.

LMarshall73

Adventurer
There is a threaded recovery point somewhere on the front bumper. It is pretty stout, I have snatched multiple rally cars using that. the ring is in the toolkit somewhere. The best option for the back is a trailer hitch. if you want to get really fancy, unbolt the factory tiedowns and have someone fab up a real recovery point using the original attachment points and a bar between them to spread the load.

Not on this body style Forester. Recovery points are below the bumpers on the front and rear passenger side (beefed up tie-down point on the front and a more solid point on the rear).

Scott Brady

Founder
Open heart surgery!
303701_10150412837263275_640113274_10812760_8154400_n.jpg

The guys from Adventure Trailers are helping with the motor swap. I am continually amazed by the breadth of skills those dudes have.

Scott Brady

Founder
Motor is out. About 3.5 hours from the first nut to on the engine stand. . .
[video=vimeo;27949458]http://vimeo.com/27949458[/video]

Scott Brady

Founder
All up and running. Did a test ride and drive and the motor runs cool and without any clatter. Great job Brian and AT!

The project will start again in the coming weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77