Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

silvrzuki77

explorer
a372ae7c9cbbe2cfe51d12bd60799ada.jpg

I have been looking at the 73-81 blazer suburban fuel tank 31g. I have a RB van thinking of running the fuel port where the license plate is. Just be a transfer tank. Build a simple skid plate/holder for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ert01

Adventurer
I'm planning to use the F150 19gal aft axle tank on mine. Nice and small and cheap. Should be easy to mock it into place.

Navi

Adventurer
I've done s10 blazer (25gal) gas tanks in vehicles using a flip down license plate to access the fill.
The Suburban gas tank looks to be just as easy to do and it's 37 gallons

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Here's a quick little video showing the van doing some mild driving on the snow/dirt. It did quite well.

I haven't forgotten the build vids. I've got 200 gb of footage on my build. I'm just slowly getting to it. Thanks for the patience!

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Great info on the fuel tanks. Thanks guys.

My latest issue has been door locks. I've replaced every actuator, but it's still finicky. Here are the weird symptoms:

- when I hit "unlock" it unlocks all locks
- when I hit "lock", it only locks the rear passenger door
- one out of 20 times, when I hit "lock", everything locks.
- it doesn't matter whether I lock from the driver's switch or passenger switch, same behavior for both
- when I hit "lock", it acts like there isn't enough voltage to actually push it all the way down. It makes a little noise like it's trying, then it gives up. I don't know how else to explain it. maybe I'll take a video.

Any ideas? It kind of acts like a loose ground somewhere. I'm baffled.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I've tried searching around, with no luck. Has anyone had any luck swapping in the fuel tank from an E450/box truck into the rear of their E350, where the spare sits? I'd love a big tank back there. I imagine it'd affect handling a bit. Anyone done this?

Your vintage van, do you know if there is any difference between the E series and F series chassis back there?

If it is anything similar, you could possible drop a F-series tank in. Stock is roughly 18 gallons. Though there is a 38 gallon option.

I considered the 38 gallon tank when I had to replace my rusty original tank, but I didn't want to loose the spare under the truck.

slideways
Here's a quick little video showing the van doing some mild driving on the snow/dirt. It did quite well.

At 6:00 in your video you talk about tire rub on the fender flare under compression, showing the 2"ish clearance between the tire and flare, and mention rearward axle growth as it compresses. How much clearance do you have in front of the tire?

I ask because when I replaced the rear suspension lift on my Tacoma (6" and 315's), the spring pin location of the new spring pack was different from the prior spring/leaf/block setup, which caused my tires to be biased rearward and rub into my fenders. I used a set of relocation plates that have a stud and two holes in them. The holes have different center-to-center distances to the stud, which allows you to tweak your axle location just right. At ride height the tire appears forward in the wheel well, but at compression, everything is centered and rub-free.

6900-AP-lg.jpg

radorsch

Adventurer
I'm heading out to Yellowstone and Grand Teton this summer. Your video from Grand Teton and Lava Hot Springs got me even more stoked!

sixstringsteve

Explorer
So glad to hear that! We would take grand Teton over Yellowstone anyday. It'd be worth taking a guided rafting tour down the snake river too. So much good stuff to do in Jackson.

radorsch

Adventurer
Thanks Steve! You're the 4th person in a week to say that Teton is much better than Yellowstone. I think we are going to shift our itinerary. We already have a 3 day kayak tour planned on Lake Jackson, but I think well have to spend some more time doing other stuff in Grand Teton, and shorten the Yellowstone portion to just the geysers and hotpots.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Lake Jackson is HUGE. It'll feel more like ocean kayaking. If you can get on the snake river right outside the tetons, that's where I'd go. I'd also recommend string lake to leigh lake (like in our video). PM me if you have more questions.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I ordered some steps from Aluminess. I'm not impressed. The final fit is WAY off. There is at least a 1/2" gap between the frame and where the steps want to mount, and they currently come in contact with the pinch weld. I've heard of some people using shims to mount these.

I'm trying to decide if I should cut the pinch weld, or fab some shims. Their install instructions are a joke too, zero pictures.

The steps look decent enough, I just wish they went on better. Tips and advice appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner