Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

DzlToy

Explorer
I was going to say 80/20, but was beaten to the punch. There are some REALLY nice projects on this board with that stuff. I want to say MG Metal Works or someone they were connected to. I think it was a Sprinter van build. Depending on how well search works in this forum, you may be able to find it.

http://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17310

Damn, beaten again, while I was typing and searching for links... :Wow1:

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
wow, I hadn't seen InssssssVanity yet, there goes my night. I wish I could find a deal like that; it'd be a no-brainer! That t-slot stuff is sweet.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Unistrut looks like, well... Unistrut. Looks like an electrical contractor built it. That 80/20 extrusion is pimp. I too was going to recommend Cole's Sprinter build for 80/20 pimp-spiration. Another plus is you can easily reconfigure it if you need to. If the 80/20 prices out too high, aluminium frame (square tube and angle) and rivets sheathed with aluminum sheet (think like aircraft or Airstreams) or plywood would look good and be strong.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I agree that 80/20 looks great, but I'm running out of budget on this rig, and I need to make decisions based on function over form. There are so many people on this site with 10x the budget I have. If I can find a deal on 80/20, I'll definitely use it. If not, I'll probably end up using unistrut for now. It's cheap, sturdy, and pretty cool for what it is. But you're right, it's not nearly as cool as 80/20.

ert01

Adventurer
I think unistrut can be implemented in a very clean fashion... Just takes some insight and forethought. IE Assemble it with the opening channel facing outwards... then use 1/4" spring nuts and 1/4" birch plywood to face all your cabinets. Should look good and be incredibly solid. The only downside is that you'd have to drill into the back of the strut and put your fittings on the backside rather than on the convenient open side. Or weld the strut.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I've welded the unistrut in the past, and it worked fine (provided I was outside so I didn't get weld flu). I appreciate the input everyone, thanks.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
80/20 is what MG used in the Optima Batteries ban build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bosch Rexroth actually(it's metric), but same kind of stuff as 80/20; aluminum extrusions. Cole got the deal of the century in CO on that 80/20 motherlode!

fudge

Dude! Gotta say, well done on the videos! Surprisingly entertaining to watch given I just went through the whole U-joint conversion process myself. Many nights spent wearing a headlamp, running to the store before closing and of course, realizing that after everything was buttoned up I forgot to install that darn plastic washer.

You sir deserve a Scouts "Axle Build Badge"! Thanks for the awesome contributions.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
haha, thanks fudge. It's tough cramming 4 hours of boring footage into an interesting 15 min movie, but I'm happy with how they're turning out. I anticipate they're going to be VERY helpful for someone doing this themselves in the future.

teehee

Adventurer
Always drink a tall glass of milk after welding galvanized steel!! Really helps! Grinding or using a flapper disc to get down to clean metal before welding is a must as well.
I've welded the unistrut in the past, and it worked fine (provided I was outside so I didn't get weld flu). I appreciate the input everyone, thanks.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
Dude! Gotta say, well done...

You sir deserve a Scouts "Axle Build Badge"! Thanks for the awesome contributions.
Yep. Steve,Is there an automotive skills merit badge for this? You deserve several, a video merit badge, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner