Fred the Van. The More We Explore's Adventure Van Build Thread

DzlToy

Explorer
wow, 6-10 hours to make a short video! There is no way I would do that if I were trying to build a van and get on the road. I know you don't drink but here is a :beer: anyway.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Thanks. We want to get on the road ASAP, but our businesses aren't self-sustaining enough, so we can't leave yet. That gives us time to edit. :)

screwball48

Explorer
I love the vids so far. They are educational and entertaining at the same time. Keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ert01

Adventurer
Yeah right, me OCD? Have you seen my rolling cart, where something falls off every time I use the vice? :)

I only watched one of your videos so far... The one where you were working on the balljoints. Your cart frustrated me so much that I had to take a break and come back and finish watching the video later. Haha

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Those are cool. I've used them before. For some reason, my brain thinks a manually soldered connection has more strength,especially when I twist them together first. But I know those connectors are proven over and over. Thanks for the link, I had forgotten what those were called.

sixstringsteve

Explorer
Thanks for watching, it's been fun to document the build. I need to get started on the next episode, but I'm trying to build the interior out at the same time. Priorities... priorities...

sixstringsteve

Explorer
I'm trying to decide on materials to use for the interior bed/storage rack. I can't tig weld. I was looking at EZ Tube, but it can't handle the weight of a human. So I'm thinking of using unistrut. Basically, I want a frame for the bed, bench seat, and shelves to store action packers. Any suggestions on building materials would be great.

teehee

Adventurer
I'm trying to decide on materials to use for the interior bed/storage rack. I can't tig weld. I was looking at EZ Tube, but it can't handle the weight of a human. So I'm thinking of using unistrut. Basically, I want a frame for the bed, bench seat, and shelves to store action packers. Any suggestions on building materials would be great.

I think unistrut is a great idea...it's strong, relatively lightweight and offers a ton of different anchor and bracket options. I've installed and worked with it for years and depending on cost may be a perfect option for you.

mikracer

Adventurer
Aluminum T Slot, 80/20, extrusion, or whatever else it's called seems like a good material to use. Super light but pretty strong and you can configure it any way you want. Not the cheapest option, but it does give you a lot of flexibility to add anchor points or shelves anywhere along the way.

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
I think unistrut is a great idea...it's strong, relatively lightweight and offers a ton of different anchor and bracket options. I've installed and worked with it for years and depending on cost may be a perfect option for you.

Aluminum T Slot, 80/20, extrusion, or whatever else it's called seems like a good material to use. Super light but pretty strong and you can configure it any way you want. Not the cheapest option, but it does give you a lot of flexibility to add anchor points or shelves anywhere along the way.

Unitsrut will work and be affordable but 80/20 has a much nicer fit and finish. Somewhere I saw there are little plastic trim strips which can be inserted into the open channel of 80/20 to clean it up a bit more.

Best prices outside of CL for 80/20 is their eBay store.
If you decide to go with strut shoot me a message. I have a bunch of different angle brackets, square washers, strut nuts ect, I could fill up a flat rate box for you and sent it out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner